30g Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be getting a 30g tank soon, but not able to stock until I move this summer. I plan on planting it soon, just to get my plants healthy, and then recycling when we move. This is my stocking plan so far:

5 Zebra Danios (2 inches)
3 Dalmation Mollies (3 inches)
5 Bloodfin Tetras (2 inches)

And maybe some Mystery Snails to clean up a bit when I just have the plants. This is BY FAR not permanent, and I am planning ahead to get all of my information down. Thoughts on how this set up would work?

*Note: I am still unsure what plants to get, I will wait and research that after I am sure on stocking plans.

In my experience, mollies don't live long in fresh water. Try brackish if you really want mollies. If you don't have your heart set on mollies, go for something similar like swordtails.

Hm, okay. I was really hoping for some, but I can get past it :p What about:

5 Silver Hatchet Fish (3 inches)
5 Bloodfin Tetras (2 inches)
1 female Betta (2.5 inches)

Or I was thinking:

4 or 5 Gouramis

5 or 6 Cichilid

Female Betta Sorrority

A rainbow shark and some schooling fish

Thoughts?

What is it about the mollies you liked? Platys are easy to care for, do great in freshwater, and look very similar to mollies.

As for your other ideas, the hatchet/tetra/beta should be fine. Gouramis can be really aggressive/territorial. I'd say if you want a gourami use it as a show piece fish. What about

-1 Dwarf Gourami
-10 Silver Hatchets
-12 Bloodfin Tetra
-6 Panda Cory

The other ideas you have, I dont know much about, so I'll let someone else look at.

What did you have in mind for your tank? Do you like lots of color, lots of activity? Were you thinking more fish about the same size or fewer bigger fish?

6 cichlids is pushing it a bit I think. Rainbow sharks need at least 50 gallons, they grow to a footish. Sororities don't normally work, I recommend against it.

I liked the Mollies so much because I feel bad about the first ones I had- I had no clue how to care for them and they died in a week :/ I kinda wanted to redeem myself with them :p

So I was thinking of this stocking idea, which I REALLY like:
1 Rainbow Shark
5 Silver Hatchetfish
4 Otocinclus
2 or 3 Mystery Snails

And fishperson, I've been reading up on them for a while and all descriptions I find say a maximum of 7 inches for them. But hey, the Internet has lied to me many times... I'll o some more reading and call some pet stores. I've also been reading on sororities and agree... Not really sure I want one aha. I'm looking for schooling fish- I guess you can say I want colourful, but I've seriously fallen in love with the Hatchetfish, which I don't get because they're silver at my pet store XD I also want a kind of random tank, lots of plant growth of the back and sides with space in the middle for swimming... I'm rambling now. I mean, I have MONTHS to plan this, so I just want to get everything right XD

The rainbow shark definitely needs a larger tank than 30 gallons, preferably in the range of 55 gallons or bigger. 30 gallons is still a good size though for some other colorful fish. Some other nice centerpiece fish that you could do are German blue rams/Bolivian rams, Apistogrammas, and a dwarf/honey/pearl gourami (just one). In terms of colorful schooling fish there are lots of great tetras, rasboras, and barbs you could do. Rummynose, cardinal, and lemon are some of my favorite tetras, and harlequin rasboras are a hardy and peaceful option too. A few of the more peaceful barbs include cherry, checker, black ruby, 5-banded, gold, and snakeskin. You could easy do a nice sized school of these schooling fish (8-12) plus your hatchets and something like a Bolivian ram and a honey gourami. Lots of options for you!

The rainbow shark definitely needs a larger tank than 30 gallons, preferably in the range of 55 gallons or bigger. 30 gallons is still a good size though for some other colorful fish. Some other nice centerpiece fish that you could do are German blue rams/Bolivian rams, Apistogrammas, and a dwarf/honey/pearl gourami (just one). In terms of colorful schooling fish there are lots of great tetras, rasboras, and barbs you could do. Rummynose, cardinal, and lemon are some of my favorite tetras, and harlequin rasboras are a hardy and peaceful option too. A few of the more peaceful barbs include cherry, checker, black ruby, 5-banded, gold, and snakeskin. You could easy do a nice sized school of these schooling fish (8-12) plus your hatchets and something like a Bolivian ram and a honey gourami. Lots of options for you!

1 ram
1 pearl gourami
6 galaxy Rasbora
6 Cory cats

Okay, Rainbow Shark is out :( But thank you so much for all of the suggestions! These are the fish available to me:

Aquarium Fish for Sale - Pet Fish of All Sizes | PetSmart

New stocking idea (again) :
5 Silver Hatchetfish
2 Dwarf Gouramis
5 Bloodfin Tetras
2-3 Mystery Snails

Or

3 Mickey Mouse Platys
6 Fancy Guppies
6 Cherry Barbs

OR

5 Silver Hatchetfish
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Cory Cats

If all of these seem like failures to you guys, just let me know- this is all a learning experience right now for me!

Back
Top Bottom