32G Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so let's start off on how i got to this point. I bought a used tank off kijiji only to realized it had problems with the seals and ended up being a disaster. I still have the glass and got a fluval 205 and stand out of it. So today i went out and bought a 32G kit since i didn't trust used ones anymore. Turns out that one had a very bad silicone layout. My fault though, I should've checked they seals before buying it. So tomorrow i'll be bringing it back and coming home with a new kit(with good seals LOL). Anyways tonight pretty much has been me getting everything ready. I cleaned out the fluval and tightened screws on the stand. Anyways heres what i plan on doing.

Set up:
-Main Decor will be this piece of wood/branch:
img_1454329_0_4f22c36fcac68e5e57a6bee34f37fd97.jpg

-This is the gravel i went with(All clean =]):
img_1454329_1_e15c77ba30b59143b5de6618c5d242dc.jpg

-I want a planted tank but nothing heavy. I'm thinking 5 or 6 assorted live plants.
-Running a Fluval 205 AND AquaClear 50

Stock:
-1 Angel (Marble or Black?)
-2 Pineapple Swordtails (Sexes?)
-3 Platies: Blue mickey mouse, red wag, hi-fin (Sexes?)
-3 Mollies: Dalmatian, harlequin sailfin, black (Sexes?)
-* 6 Peppered Corydors (Yes/No) OR Otos (Should I? How Many?)

-ALSO: The guy i bought a used tank from gave me his 4 Serpae Tetras and 3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows that are currently in another tank but will go in the 32G. If these contradict my stock i can sell them or bring them to my LFS.

Whats Left 2 Do:
-Cut plywood to go on the stand.Tank is about 2 inches to wide.
-Change Charcoal in Fluval. I still have the one that the seller gave me so i don't know how old it is.
-Change sponges in fluval. The sponges are hard and crispy. I'm in no rush but by fall i should have all 4 changed.
-Get automatic siphon.

Hope you guys enjoy the ride and i can't wait for it to be done! I love any comments, suggestions and opinions. Any other fish suitable for my tank please tell me! If i like them i might swap another type for them. Thanks!

Change of plan on the stock:
-1 Angel
-2 Bolivian Rams
-6 Tetras (Likely lemons)
-6 Peppered Cories
-3 Otos

Ok nobody is reading lol i feel like a loner :p Anyways i'll keep updating anyways!

Ok so today i finally got my 32G and set it up. All i'm missing is live plants and the fish. Hope to get the plants in about a week or two. Tomorrow morning i'll be moving the 4 Serpae tetras and 3 minnows from the 5G they were in temporarily to the 32G. They'll likely go to my friend once he comes back from vacation.

Only problem i see is that the wood/branch isn't very stable and tends to float around if the gravel comes off around it.

Here are some photos:

img_1456096_0_3a36d314837eaa190c7e391c80b7c4f5.jpg

img_1456096_1_55d97fec73c09c13784e2ed0d12b9cfb.jpg

img_1456096_2_0b114da42fcb2d572ace690efae38e16.jpg

img_1456096_3_30616edf1feefc786c5ab89b09199369.jpg

Oh and if you look at picture 3 and 4. Is it ok if the heater is that close to the output nozzle of the fluval?

To answer your final previous question yes it is okay. You should try to get a better hood, hoods that come with kits usually arent that great. Some java fern or anubias would look good in that tank. You could pin down teh wood with rocks.

To answer your final previous question yes it is okay. You should try to get a better hood, hoods that come with kits usually arent that great. Some java fern or anubias would look good in that tank. You could pin down teh wood with rocks.

I dunno i might stick with the hood. I'm not putting any plants that need too much care. Just the basic types at my LFS. Looking to add about 5-6 of them. All different types though.

Last edited:
Your stocking list looks fine to me. I have 4 peppered cories and I adore them. They are active little buggers. That driftwood is very neat looking. I am sure your tank will end up great.

What other decorations can i add other than live plants? I was thinking a few stones or rocks on the right of the tank since i'm adding rams.

I'll update with a picture in the morning when I add the tetras and minnows.

My next trip to my LFS will mainly be for plants and some rocks and slates. I'll also have to see if they have all my fish I want to add. I don't think I've seen Bolivian Rams.

Update: Ok so i added the 4 tetras and 3 minnows today. They are a little stressed so i'll take a few pictures later. As far as plants go would these be ok with 2 Aqua-Glo T8 20W bulbs?

1 Micro sword
1 Anubias Nana
1 Java Fern
1 Green Cryptocoryne
1 Water Sprite
2 Anacharis
2 Cabomba

I'll be getting the live plant pack from liveaquaria. It costs about the same if i were to get that amount of plants from my LFS but they don't have much variety.

Last edited:
Ok here are the fishes! I will be giving these fish away to a friend in about a month or so.

img_1457430_0_554ba9eca6e80684f4bad62957cf70de.jpg

img_1457430_1_ce0779f75c4f5f1c1ca0f6daa605e536.jpg

absolutangel04 said:
I just can't get over how amazing that driftwood looks in there.

It is nice. Did you soak it for a while and is it turning your water the color of tea?

It is nice. Did you soak it for a while and is it turning your water the color of tea?

No i didn't soak it just put it right in when i was setting it up. The water seems pretty clear but does have a slight tint. Not sure if its because of the color of gravel and the drift wood. Nonetheless i like it :D

Oscarr19 said:
No i didn't soak it just put it right in when i was setting it up. The water seems pretty clear but does have a slight tint. Not sure if its because of the color of gravel and the drift wood. Nonetheless i like it :D

Did you cycle the tank?

Back
Top Bottom