35 Litre (roughly 10 US Gallon) Betta tank - Betta advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinkster87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

I am currently fishless cycling a 35 litre tank.

I'm aiming at making the tank suited to a Betta fish (1 x male) and hopefully some tank mates as well.

I initially was going to put him with 7 x neon tetras and leave it at that, but I have read so many contradicting things on the net I really don't know what to do...

Some people say neons get on fine with betta's then others say its a definite no either because of them nipping each other or because the tank is too small....

I really want to make sure my betta (when I get him) is 100% happy, what can I put in with him in that tank? (I know its only a small tank - and I dont want to overstock!)

I have black gravel in the tank already will this make it unsuitable for pygmy corys?

If someone who has a lot of knowledge on Bettas can help will be brilliant as want to make it perfect!

I already have 1 large broken vase for hiding, 1 silk plant and 1 live java fern and one rock, I will also be getting some more lil rocks and two smaller silk pants to go in tank tomorrow (I will post photos hopefully) so its got plenty of hiding places, its literally just tank mates I need to sort.

Thanks!!

I have kept them with dwarf cories and epoxy gravel without an issue to betta or corys. I have also kept them with ember tetras, no issues there either.

Thanks Rich, I might well change my mind and put the Cories in now, as I know they should be ok with gravel... I have about 3 more weeks til I get them anyway so no doubt I change my mind a lot until then! Other people talk about rasboras or white cloud minnows as well it so difficult to choose! Least with Cories they are more bottom dwellers so they will leave the Betta to himself at the top!

My tank has been cycling 9 days now, my ammonia hasn't really gone down at all (staying between 1-2ppm), but my Nitrite is now about 2ppm (rise quite abit since yesterday), is it just a case of me being more patient for a drop in ammonia? or should I do something to help it on way?

:thanks:

Betta's get along well with Neon's, depending on the Betta's dispostion. Even if the Betta doesn't like the Neon's, the Neon's are quick enough to elude the Betta.

Betta's really don't need tank mates because they are solitary, territorial fish. But you could add Pygmy Cory's, Snails, Shrimp, Neon's, or an African Dwarf Frog.

I have just added a few more things to my tank, picture below - bit cloudy due to moving the tank decoration about and adding news ones. I have really tried to get it designed for the Betta in mind so he will be a happy lil fishy! Of course come 3 weeks time and my cycle is complete (hopefully) and the lil dudes are in there I will post more photos!

Though one disappointing thing is my lfs say they do not stock pygmy corys, many other variations just not pygmy ones! :(

Maybe WCM minnows or neons are back in the equation :fish2:

40393-albums1839-picture12566.jpg

wow...your 10G looks nice...

you can put ember tetras or cardinal tetras minimum of 6 with the betta, no problem. I used to have harlequin rasboras with my betta too and they were fine.

Great job on the aquascaping.

your tank looks great. i have a 30 litre in my bedroom for my goldfish. i enjoyed that tank so much that i got a 260 litre for my living room a few months later :)

i'm sure your betta will do well in the home you have prepared.

Cheers people! :thanks: its nice to hear good feedback.

Another day (Day 10) and my ammonia has very slightly gone down but still currently between 1-2ppm (I only put it to about 2ppm at the start)and my Nitrite has gone up a tiny bit but still close to 2ppm....

This being patient stuff is hard work, very tiny changes everyday!

Should I up the ammonia levels or wait for it to hit 0ppm first?

Thanks Half moon, i wanted to keep it as natural as possible but could not find the right rock cave and then saw vase which offers plenty of hiding space. I checked all edges so no sharp ends... Dont want to ruin the Betta's tail etc... Only to get home and discover a really sharp bit hiding right inside in the centre, so i had to get the sand paper out and smooth it out a bit, it should be ok now though

Sorry for being a pain but..

My Ammonia has only slighty gone down, but NitrIte is 5ppm and NitrAte is between 40-80pmm should I do a 50% water change now? as my ammonia is doing rubbish in comparison to the others.

sorry for silly questions I just want to make sure...

:thanks:

Eco will hopefully chime in on this, but a 50% pwc will cut all levels in half, and you can dose back up to 4ppm ammoo if you want. But you shouldn't have to do a pwc, just keep checking that your pH is stable to keep from stalling your cycle.

Also! What brand is that vase decoration? I WANT one!!

HalfMoon B said:
Eco will hopefully chime in on this, but a 50% pwc will cut all levels in half, and you can dose back up to 4ppm ammoo if you want. But you shouldn't have to do a pwc, just keep checking that your pH is stable to keep from stalling your cycle.

I agree :). A pwc won't hurt anything (might even help), and a tiny pinch of finely ground up fish food will help out as well. What brand of ammonia are you using?

Back
Top Bottom