40 gallon biotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofish

Aquarium Advice Freak
After a lot of misfortune and a whole host of errors coupled with some straight up mystery I've been advised to basically start fresh on my build. I wanted wanted to before but just didn't. I figured now would be a good time to start especially if something goes wrong again and someone can learn from what happens. First the backstory and tonight I'll post some pics when it's set back up.

The problems so far

-Petsmart had what the shelftag labeled as a 50 gallon. The tank however was 4 foot long which made me think it was a 55 gallon. Either way I had my light already ordered so I settled for a 40 gallon breeder. I like the dimensions but bigger is always better.

-The brand new canister filter I bought off of Amazon had a cracked outtake filter. Had to order a replacement.

-Decided to use playsand as my substrate since I heard of a lot of people online using it and I hadn't yet heard of using PFS. Cleaned the sand for 3 hours and thought it was clean so I put it in the tank. Nope...definitely not clean. Finished cleaning it in the tank after another 2 or 3 hours.

-Bought what looked like some nice pieces of DW off ebay. It was described as used. I was foolish and didn't ask more. Also I think when you say combined shipping that you're supposed to oh idk actually combine shipping. Threw out the immediately bad pieces and went to work on cleaning, boiling, and trying to sink the rest.

-Started up my filter and a few days later added some of the small DW pieces that were sinking. Ammonia levels soon tested off the charts. Rising ammonia would continue to haunt me and is the reason for the do over I'm now in. Got a better water conditioner hoping that was the problem.

-Bought some Amazon frogbit and dwarf water lettuce off ebay. The frogbit grew very fast for about 3 weeks before dying because of...well I'm not quite sure yet since I'm a plant newbie. The dwarf water lettuce? Well that was so smashed and broken that I managed to salvage 5 of the 20 plants. None of which managed any growth and died along with the frogbit although in a different manner. The frogbit turned brown while the water lettuce got holes in the leaves. More on this later if anyone cares.

-The driftwood in the tank started to crumble along with the pieces still not sinking after over a month. Not good at all so I replaced it with Malaysian DW. Even with a good buy I've now managed to spend over $200 on DW.

-Advised to start over to deal with my ammonia problem. Playsand was removed and discarded in the backyard. I did manage to put a small scratch in the back of the tank though when taking it out. Not noticeable but annoying none the less. The new DW was again washed and scrubbed. Tank cleaned with very mild bleach and allowed to air dry. The filter media was left alone since bacteria were present. Nitrites were dropping but ammonia was rising.

So that's the backstory. I kind of have to laugh when I actually write it all out. So today I'm decorating which is the part I love. As I said I'll have pics tonight when it's finished.

img_1580769_0_0e445c7f1ec192dbce914aedfc6db6c7.jpg

img_1580769_1_fcf88dee22346cc089cfe4a6d66aac99.jpg

img_1580769_2_7202b3a29a30f3b87bf5297cb3cbeb21.jpg

img_1580769_3_6a01053b48103872ba796e0597184b9b.jpg

I'm a bad photographer as you can see but I wanted to post some pics of the look pre-tannins. I think I'm pretty happy on first impression. The sand is better in every single way. The DW while not as branching as the ebay stuff still looks failry good if different. Not sure if I've overdone it on DW though. I'll keep staring at the tank and see how I feel and see what everyone on here thinks about the new look.

Still to do:
1. Get a dark background
2. Buy more Amazon frogbit and keep them alive
3. Add the Indian almond leaves
4. Possibly figure out a way to raise the light without hanging it
5. Figure out my stocking (later post on that)
6. Hope and pray that the ammonia problem is under control
7. Learn to take better pics lol

Anyone that saw my other thread knows the problem I'm going through with my cycle and what a big help librarygirl and eco23 are. Since my timeframe for getting fish is currently in the range of soon to never, I figured I asked for some thoughts on stocking. I'm unsure so I could use some advice and Aqadvisor certainly isn't much help (5 species, 44 fish total and it says I'm only at 71% capacity?!? I know it's just a guide and not the holy grail of stocking but geez).

I'm planning on all South American fish and was actually thinking of shoaling fish since I couldn't figure out a centerpiece fish that I really liked. I've looked at lots of different types but I'm sure i haven't seen everything so fire away.

I was thinking along the lines of this:
8-10 Lemon tetras
8-10 glowlight tetras
6-8 panda cories

I thought the glowlights would really popout in the dark water while the lemons would give a nice contrast in shape and color. I don't think I'd have room for another shoal of cories or tetras but correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I might be able to fit in some dwarf plecos though (either pitbulls or starlight bristlenose L183). I could also use a top dweller if there's any room. Any thoughts?

What does anyone think of this as a stocking plan?

8 x Garnet Tetra (Hemigrammus pulcher)
7 x Ornate Tetra (Hyphessobrycon bentosi)
8 x Black Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)
5 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
5 x Three Lined Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)

Is this overdone?

c_leed said:
What does anyone think of this as a stocking plan?

8 x Garnet Tetra (Hemigrammus pulcher)
7 x Ornate Tetra (Hyphessobrycon bentosi)
8 x Black Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)
5 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
5 x Three Lined Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)

Is this overdone?

Id say your dont with that stock. I would 100% put a centerpiece fish though. Theus will cause the tetras to school. Id say 7 of each tetra and 4 of each cory with an opaline gourami, or dwarf gourami

What type of biotope are you planning on building?

Just a pretty generalized South American blackwater stream. I'm not ready or near experienced enough to have evrything from one specific river.

Id say your dont with that stock. I would 100% put a centerpiece fish though. Theus will cause the tetras to school. Id say 7 of each tetra and 4 of each cory with an opaline gourami, or dwarf gourami

I couldn't figure out any South American centerpiece fish that I liked, weren't overly difficult to keep, and didn't get too big. That's why I was thinking of maybe going without.

I just ordered my plants and they should be here in a week. Great deal on them too.

I've also been looking at centerpiece fish but the only ones I have found so far are angels and dwarf cichlids...am I missing any?

One last stocking thing. The Hemigrammus pulcher is starting to seem really hard to find. It's a shame because they are really nice looking. I might have to replace them with Hyphessobrycon heliacus. I can find them locally, they dwell in the upper portions and are even smaller than the garnet tetras.

Hello! I think your stock sounds fine. You certainly have space for all the corys, so need to skimp. Just a note, do you know that black phantoms need to have limited males and they are not very good schoolers since the males set up territories and fight?
As far as SA centerpieces go, a keyhole cichlid or a ram would be a good addition. :) But, you certainly do not need a centerpiece fish if you don't want one.
Love bentosi tetras. They are very pretty.
Oh, and IMO you have room for a little pleco. Pitbulls need to be ingroups, but you could still fit 2-3 in that set-up.

Hello! I think your stock sounds fine. You certainly have space for all the corys, so need to skimp. Just a note, do you know that black phantoms need to have limited males and they are not very good schoolers since the males set up territories and fight?
As far as SA centerpieces go, a keyhole cichlid or a ram would be a good addition. :) But, you certainly do not need a centerpiece fish if you don't want one.
Love bentosi tetras. They are very pretty.
Oh, and IMO you have room for a little pleco. Pitbulls need to be ingroups, but you could still fit 2-3 in that set-up.

I absolutely love corys so I'd like all that I can (safely) have. I've had some in every aquarium I've ever had.

I knew male black phantoms displayed for females but didn't think the fighting got very severe. I've never kept any of these tetras though so I'm probably wrong lol. I also heard they get along well with the bentosi.

Oh keyhole cichlids. I need to go look them up now out of curiosity. I had only really looked up GBRs and Bolivian rams.

I absolutely love corys so I'd like all that I can (safely) have. I've had some in every aquarium I've ever had.

I knew male black phantoms displayed for females but didn't think the fighting got very severe. I've never kept any of these tetras though so I'm probably wrong lol. I also heard they get along well with the bentosi.

Oh keyhole cichlids. I need to go look them up now out of curiosity. I had only really looked up GBRs and Bolivian rams.
Keyholes are a bit bigger than rams, but not huge or anything. I have one who does fine with all my corys and kuhlis and rams.
As for the bpt, I have seen them be a bit jerky to other males. You have space though, so it should be fine, but if I was you I would try to limit it 2 males. 1 would be preferable, but I don't know how easy it to pick out genders when they are young. I think 3 males would be the most males who could co-exist without harassing each other too much. Sometimes they just chase other males, but if there are not enough females, I have heard stories of males being pretty nasty to other males. I am sure it depends on the individual personality of the fish though. But, you certainly have space, so it probably won't be an issue.

Keyholes are a bit bigger than rams, but not huge or anything. I have one who does fine with all my corys and kuhlis and rams.
As for the bpt, I have seen them be a bit jerky to other males. You have space though, so it should be fine, but if I was you I would try to limit it 2 males. 1 would be preferable, but I don't know how easy it to pick out genders when they are young. I think 3 males would be the most males who could co-exist without harassing each other too much. Sometimes they just chase other males, but if there are not enough females, I have heard stories of males being pretty nasty to other males. I am sure it depends on the individual personality of the fish though. But, you certainly have space, so it probably won't be an issue.

There was enough should and probablies in there to make me the slightest bit nervous lol. I guess that's why you should always check on here. I read bunch of caresheets and all of them said how peaceful the black phantoms are. I can look for something else but I've seen them with the bentosi tetras before and thought the two looked amazing together. I guess next time I go to the pet store I'll look really close at them to see how easy they are to sex when young. I don't really trust the employees to do it (my one female ferret is named Caesar because of that :facepalm:).

Too many fish I want. I need to watch it before I catch MTS.

There was enough should and probablies in there to make me the slightest bit nervous lol. I guess that's why you should always check on here. I read bunch of caresheets and all of them said how peaceful the black phantoms are. I can look for something else but I've seen them with the bentosi tetras before and thought the two looked amazing together. I guess next time I go to the pet store I'll look really close at them to see how easy they are to sex when young. I don't really trust the employees to do it (my one female ferret is named Caesar because of that :facepalm:).

Too many fish I want. I need to watch it before I catch MTS.
I wasn't trying to deter you, just caution you to watch the number of males. I say "should" just because living things don't necessarily do what we think they will do. In general, they are peaceful, but I think they are better kept in a set of a male and a few females since they are not really schoolers like other tetra species are. You could do a few less black phantoms and then maybe a couple more of the other schools. IME, they make better centerpieces anyway. But, its all up to you! I agree they would look really nice, and males are typically only jerks to each other.
Th ferret story made me laugh. :lol:

I wasn't trying to deter you, just caution you to watch the number of males. I say "should" just because living things don't necessarily do what we think they will do. In general, they are peaceful, but I think they are better kept in a set of a male and a few females since they are not really schoolers like other tetra species are. You could do a few less black phantoms and then maybe a couple more of the other schools. IME, they make better centerpieces anyway. But, its all up to you! I agree they would look really nice, and males are typically only jerks to each other.
Th ferret story made me laugh. :lol:

I know all about animals doing mostly what they like. I'm owned by three cats and four ferrets so I understand completely. I was just kidding with you a little bit. If I can sex the ones at the pet store what do you think maybe 2m/4f?
Poor Caesar. I also used to have a similarly gender confused male leopard gecko named Ivory. Yeah I was fooled twice lol

I know all about animals doing mostly what they like. I'm owned by three cats and four ferrets so I understand completely. I was just kidding with you a little bit. If I can sex the ones at the pet store what do you think maybe 2m/4f?
Poor Caesar. I also used to have a similarly gender confused male leopard gecko named Ivory. Yeah I was fooled twice lol
I think more like 2m/6f if thats possible. If not, you could try 2m/4f, just keep an eye out for injuries.
I love ferrets! I am currently trying to decide if I should get a puppy, a ferret, or both (but not at the same time). I am being really careful to see what my budget allows, but I am considering adopting a ferret. :)
BTW, I have a ground squirrel I raised and I had to guess the gender, so I guessed girl. I realized I was wrong when she grew testicles. Oops. At least I gave her a gender neutral name (Munchkin), but I got used to saying "she." Now I just tell people "she is my gender confused little girl." Otherwise I say, "testicles don't make you a man. " Lol. Not sure how true that is, but I still say it.

I think more like 2m/6f if thats possible. If not, you could try 2m/4f, just keep an eye out for injuries.
I love ferrets! I am currently trying to decide if I should get a puppy, a ferret, or both (but not at the same time). I am being really careful to see what my budget allows, but I am considering adopting a ferret. :)
BTW, I have a ground squirrel I raised and I had to guess the gender, so I guessed girl. I realized I was wrong when she grew testicles. Oops. At least I gave her a gender neutral name (Munchkin), but I got used to saying "she." Now I just tell people "she is my gender confused little girl." Otherwise I say, "testicles don't make you a man. " Lol. Not sure how true that is, but I still say it.

2m/6f sounds good if I can do it. It's a decent trip so returns (if even allowed) would be a pain. I'm still thinking of the lemons but three shoals of tetras seems like plenty.
I love my ferrets a lot but I think they are like having kids. If they can climb it or crawl under it they will. If they can carry it they will steal it. You have to ferret proof everything in their room and when something is moved even slightly they know right away.
I have books on keeping chipmunks but none on ground squirrels. I have books on lots of pets though. The only thing I'll say about Munchkin is there is a lot of people staring at testicles lol :blink:

2m/6f sounds good if I can do it. It's a decent trip so returns (if even allowed) would be a pain. I'm still thinking of the lemons but three shoals of tetras seems like plenty.
I love my ferrets a lot but I think they are like having kids. If they can climb it or crawl under it they will. If they can carry it they will steal it. You have to ferret proof everything in their room and when something is moved even slightly they know right away.
I have books on keeping chipmunks but none on ground squirrels. I have books on lots of pets though. The only thing I'll say about Munchkin is there is a lot of people staring at testicles lol :blink:
Lol, I agree about ferrets. Thats one of the reasons I like them. I love the adventurous, mischieveous nature.
About the schools, sometimes you don't really know how the schools will look until they are in tank. I usually start with smaller schools (6) and then add more as deem appropriate. I think 3 shoals is probably good. Also, you never know if schools will school or not. Plenty of people have stories about getting schoolers who didn't school. They just dispersed all through the tank. Personally, that doesn't bother me since they are still pretty and fun, but some people get annoyed. Just a heads up.

Lol, I agree about ferrets. Thats one of the reasons I like them. I love the adventurous, mischieveous nature.
About the schools, sometimes you don't really know how the schools will look until they are in tank. I usually start with smaller schools (6) and then add more as deem appropriate. I think 3 shoals is probably good. Also, you never know if schools will school or not. Plenty of people have stories about getting schoolers who didn't school. They just dispersed all through the tank. Personally, that doesn't bother me since they are still pretty and fun, but some people get annoyed. Just a heads up.

I love that about ferrets too. That's also a reason I plan to own a skunk someday.
I'm not too worried about them schooling tightly. If I wanted that I know I could get some rummynose. I'm just trying to find that happy medium of lots of interesting variety/looks like an overdone circus. If you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom