40 gallon biotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Random update

I've had the frogbit a week and it's still alive which is good. Most of the plants have constant new leaves rowing although none of the roots seem as long as I remember from the first dead batch. i have fertilizer but haven't used it yet. Maybe I should.

Friday I saw a drop in NO2 down to 1 which was great. Of course then on Saturday and Sunday it was 2 so I need to figure out what's up with that. One day I might actually get the cycle complete. Another month and a half and I'll challenge for the longest ever.

Stocking-I was thinking over the whole centerpiece fish thing and liking the idea. I'm giving more thought to a keyhole cichlid or Bolivian ram. Even better would perhaps be a pair of cockatoo dwarf cichlids. I've heard mixed things about dwarf cichlids and corys (another case of the web can't agree). The tank's footprint is 36X18 so I think it might be possible but don't know. Of course since I noticed the first sign of algae this weekend I may need some sort of algae eater. Lots to figure out yet.

One other thing I forgot and one that I'm actually not concerned about. I see the occassional little white worm swimming around in the tank. Noticed a few when I turned the light on today. No idea what the are other than future fishfood. Hardy little buggers though to be living in there.

Conflicting info is the worst! IME, the dwarf cichlids are typically fine with corys. Spawning pairs will chase the corys away from their territory. Every once in awhile, I have heard a sreliable story about a ram picking on corys though. Its one of those things that is always a risk, but usually seems to be ok given enough space. In your tank, I would recommend just 1 dwarf cichlid or keyhole. Rams/keyholes are generally very peaceful, but you just never know for absolutely sure. So far in my aquarium experience, I have owned 6 Bolivians (not all at the same time) and 1 keyhole. I have never had any sort of issue at all with all my corys, but there are never guarantees when dealing with live animals. :)
The worms are probably planaria. If thats what they are, they are harmless and the fish will eat them (once you are able to get fish).

The tank is front and center in my bedroom so that once I'm able to get fish part is getting a bit frustrating sometimes.

I've heard some of those same stories on the web involving Apistos. It was a blanket statement for the whole genus though. I've been looking at some of the websites and forums dedicated to cichlids (instead of just all fish) so far from those, and I'm still researching, it seems like you said that they are good tankmates. I'm not reading anything at all on them about injuries to the corys, it's more about fry survival. Makes me wish I had room for a pair of cockatoos (provided I ever actually get fish again).

The tank is front and center in my bedroom so that once I'm able to get fish part is getting a bit frustrating sometimes.

I've heard some of those same stories on the web involving Apistos. It was a blanket statement for the whole genus though. I've been looking at some of the websites and forums dedicated to cichlids (instead of just all fish) so far from those, and I'm still researching, it seems like you said that they are good tankmates. I'm not reading anything at all on them about injuries to the corys, it's more about fry survival. Makes me wish I had room for a pair of cockatoos (provided I ever actually get fish again).
Yeah, but fry survival always plummets when tankmates are involved. Also, I have heard a lot of stories about chasing, but chasing isn't necessarily a big deal. I do know of a couple people who had rams that nipped at the corys though.
I may get an apisto some day. I recently had an issue with my rams, so next I may try an apisto of some sort if I can't get my other little cichlids to pull through. Some sites say they tend to be a bit more aggressive than rams, but I am not sure. I think that apistos mouth wrestle more than rams, so some people view that as aggression. But, thats often just fish talk for " you're in my yard!" Its not necessarily a bad thing unless it happens too much or results in too much stress or an injury.

Yeah, but fry survival always plummets when tankmates are involved. Also, I have heard a lot of stories about chasing, but chasing isn't necessarily a big deal. I do know of a couple people who had rams that nipped at the corys though.
I may get an apisto some day. I recently had an issue with my rams, so next I may try an apisto of some sort if I can't get my other little cichlids to pull through. Some sites say they tend to be a bit more aggressive than rams, but I am not sure. I think that apistos mouth wrestle more than rams, so some people view that as aggression. But, thats often just fish talk for " you're in my yard!" Its not necessarily a bad thing unless it happens too much or results in too much stress or an injury.

I'm definitely reading that some of these species are more agressive than others. Well I'm reading all kinds of things. That apistos make good tankmates for rams included.
I don't have any caves but when the tank is ready I'm going to be adding a bunch of leaves. That should provide a lot of hiding spots for any of the bottom dwellers. The Indian almond leaves must last longer than I originally thought without shrimp or plecos eating them. I'm certain I will end up with a cichlid of some sort. Lucky for me I have plenty of time to find a seller. :)

My rams like terra cotta pots. They make nice, cheap, easy little caves. I also have a lava rock cave.

I packed my DW in pretty good. I'm not even sure how much room I'd have for something that small. I do have tons of nocks and crannies though already. I'm also proud of myself for showing restraint and not trying to put in my last piece of DW.

I fertilized the plants last night. Obviously I'm not expecting immediate growth. Some of it has been turning brown though. I'm thinking frogbit and I weren't meant to be. That could be cause the ph flucuates a lot between the cycle and the crushed coral. I would like a floating plant that's simple enough that even I can keep it alive. I'm thinking water sprite maybe?

Page 4 has a couple. I finally put a black background on so it looks even better. Just ignore the flash reflection I get on every single picture lol

Ah! My bad. I probably even commented on them! I serioulsy don't know how I can remember tiny details like the cory species you are lokking at, but I don't remember pictures! Lol. Thanks.

Well in all fairness all the really nice aquariums in the forum are heavily planted and vibrant. My is...well it's brown. Brown water, brown leaves, brown DW, brown dying plants. It's just really brown. Corys on the other hand are just pure awesome, oh and I'm including myself in that too.

Random, random updates

Pulled a bunch of dead frogbit out of the tank, the rest is not looking good. Not sure what happened this time exactly. I have some leads for other plants though that I'm checking into.

I need to break down and put an icon up like everyone else (told you random).

I accidently added less ammonia two days ago and ended up with zero nitrites. I added the right amount last night so fingers crossed for when i test tonight. It's been a massive struggle keeping the ph up with all of the blackwater elements.

I've pretty much resigned myself to having to order fish online. Didn't think I'd be willing but two many species that I can't find around here. Does open up more options between that and the closed hood (only open for the frogbit). Hatchets are again possible although I'm happy with the choices of Bentosi and kitty tetras. I'm still looking into all the different corys. I'm also liking a pair of cockatoo cichlids after reading more about them. I'd have to find those online I think. Problem is I'm also loving the starlight bristlenose and have been for a while...3.9 inches and a blackwater species would make it perfect for my tank. Another hard to find one though. Both the pleco and cockatoo are listed as out of stock at the one lfs I plan to go to. I don't know that they'll order in for you if you ask. Too big for a mom and pop. Any way to mix in all of these bottom dwellers or should i pick just two kinds?

IN a 40, I think ou would be ok with the corys, apistos, and starlight. You should start with a smaller number of corys than you were originally planning to make sure the apistos play nice, but you can always add more later. Definitely ask if they will order those guys for you!

IN a 40, I think ou would be ok with the corys, apistos, and starlight. You should start with a smaller number of corys than you were originally planning to make sure the apistos play nice, but you can always add more later. Definitely ask if they will order those guys for you!

I was thinking of going with just the three lined corys in that case. I have no idea if they will order fish. The place is honestly like a warehouse, it's that big. I used to go there for herps a lot since they had a room just for them. The fish part is even bigger. I find a couple of places in Harrisburg to check out too. It really sucks that Petsmart drove all the local pet places out of the fish business.

Last edited:
The plan is set now. No one let me think about it anymore. I'll just focus on what the next tank should be...although I have some ideas ;)

Anyway the frogbit is all dead and in the trash. That's the bad news.

The good news? I have a trash bag full of oak leaves now. No idea how many I can add without over tannining the water. I need to figure out some sort of experiment. I'm hopefully that I can add more of those than I could the Indian almond leaves.

The really good news? No ammonia and no nitrites during testing today. Just need to test things out tomorrow but I might finally be cycled!

I hope your cycle is finally done! You have been very patient with those stubborn little bacteria!
You can try some oak leaves in a bucket as a test. But, it won't be exact because of the size. But, maybe you could come up with a formula, like x leaves per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom