40 gallon biotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love that about ferrets too. That's also a reason I plan to own a skunk someday.
I'm not too worried about them schooling tightly. If I wanted that I know I could get some rummynose. I'm just trying to find that happy medium of lots of interesting variety/looks like an overdone circus. If you know what I mean.
Its good that you don't care too much about the tight schools. IMO, they still look nice swimming around with each other. If you got a centerpiece fish, they would be more likely to school, but even that is not a guarantee.
Have you looked into the keyhole cichlid at all? I included a picture of mine. Its an awesome picture, and mine is still a baby, but you get the idea. :)
I want a skunk too. I have always liked them. I like the wild-type patterns more than the albino and lighter varieties developed for the pet world, but thats just me. :) I figured a ferret would fit into my budget better right now though.

Attachments

• PA201527.jpg
    PA201527.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 108
I did look into the Keyhole cichlids after you mentioned them. The do seem like they would be a good fit, since the males usually get four inches and they are peaceful (for cichlids). When I have the room I'd love to do a much bigger tank like this and definitely would like some cichlids in there. For now though...still thinking because like you said it's hard to picture all the fish in an empty tank. You're a much better photographer than me that's for sure. I couldn't even get a halfway useable pic unless I turned the light off first lol

I do like the black natural looking skunks and agree that the albinos are well...kind of ugly but for me I definitely want a chocolate. They just look so cool.

I think (hope) the tank is nearing the end of my cycle. 4 ppm of ammonia is gone everyday so I need to just check on the NO2. Those levels are off the charts even after doing a 50% PW two days ago and a 75% PWC yesterday. Another big water change is in order so I can actually read the levels. With luck I'll be ready for fish soon.

I read up on the balck phantoms and some people seem to have trouble and some don't. I'm still letting them be a possibility. I thought they'd look really nice since all three tetras had the same shape and all the males had long fins. Any suggestions on what to replace them with? I could up the size of the kitty and bentosi shoals, find another characin of any sort, or a centerpiece fish. Open for thoughts.

I'm also thinking I might not get the Panda corys. I've never kept them but I'm hearing they can a bit strict in water parameters. That leaves me with upping the number of Three line corys or finding another corydoras to go with them. Thoughts on that?

I think (hope) the tank is nearing the end of my cycle. 4 ppm of ammonia is gone everyday so I need to just check on the NO2. Those levels are off the charts even after doing a 50% PW two days ago and a 75% PWC yesterday. Another big water change is in order so I can actually read the levels. With luck I'll be ready for fish soon.

I read up on the balck phantoms and some people seem to have trouble and some don't. I'm still letting them be a possibility. I thought they'd look really nice since all three tetras had the same shape and all the males had long fins. Any suggestions on what to replace them with? I could up the size of the kitty and bentosi shoals, find another characin of any sort, or a centerpiece fish. Open for thoughts.

I'm also thinking I might not get the Panda corys. I've never kept them but I'm hearing they can a bit strict in water parameters. That leaves me with upping the number of Three line corys or finding another corydoras to go with them. Thoughts on that?
I have also heard that pandas can be a bit more sensitive and shy, but I have never kept them. I have 3-lined, elegans, albino, and peppered. I really like the 3-lined/julii and elegans a lot. Skunk corys and schwartzi are really cool too.
Yep, black phantoms to do seem to come with mixed reviews. I think they are quite pretty though, and I like how have different behaviors from your average schooling tetra. But, I agree they can be a bit risky.
I will think a little more about appropriate SA species...

I have also heard that pandas can be a bit more sensitive and shy, but I have never kept them. I have 3-lined, elegans, albino, and peppered. I really like the 3-lined/julii and elegans a lot. Skunk corys and schwartzi are really cool too.
Yep, black phantoms to do seem to come with mixed reviews. I think they are quite pretty though, and I like how have different behaviors from your average schooling tetra. But, I agree they can be a bit risky.
I will think a little more about appropriate SA species...

I looked up all the corys you said. Some like the elegans I wasn't familar with at all and strangely I thought the skunks and peppered both got bigger. Sites on the internet can't ever seem to agree on fish sizes. I had been avoiding the bigger species like bronze and sterba's even though I was most familar with them. I really like the peppered and skunks.
I was checking the website of the fish store I'll be going to and they also have Corydoras melanatius which is really pretty. On a site note I wish they would take down their out of stocks. I thought for a few seconds that they had both dwarf angels and starlight bristlenoses among others.
I thought about the keyhole cichlid you mentioned but wasn't sure how the kitty tetras would do with them. I've never kept them before and they are only a little over an inch so I didn't know if a fish that big would make them nervous.

I looked up all the corys you said. Some like the elegans I wasn't familar with at all and strangely I thought the skunks and peppered both got bigger. Sites on the internet can't ever seem to agree on fish sizes. I had been avoiding the bigger species like bronze and sterba's even though I was most familar with them. I really like the peppered and skunks.
I was checking the website of the fish store I'll be going to and they also have Corydoras melanatius which is really pretty. On a site note I wish they would take down their out of stocks. I thought for a few seconds that they had both dwarf angels and starlight bristlenoses among others.
I thought about the keyhole cichlid you mentioned but wasn't sure how the kitty tetras would do with them. I've never kept them before and they are only a little over an inch so I didn't know if a fish that big would make them nervous.
I soooo know what you mean about internet sites not being able to agree. Peppered should be able to reach 3 inches. They are definitely the biggest ones that I have, but I have not had them long enough for them to reach ful size yet. I agree that the melanatius is lovely. I have never owned them however. Elegans does not appear to be super common, but that happened to be a species my lfs had, so thats how I got them. :) IMO, slightly larger fish do make the smaller schoolers school, but I have not found that to be an issue. Still, the smallest fish I keep with my keyhole are rummies and a couple of juvy platies. The keyhole doesn't bother them any though, but they are a bit bigger than the tetras you have.

I soooo know what you mean about internet sites not being able to agree. Peppered should be able to reach 3 inches. They are definitely the biggest ones that I have, but I have not had them long enough for them to reach ful size yet. I agree that the melanatius is lovely. I have never owned them however. Elegans does not appear to be super common, but that happened to be a species my lfs had, so thats how I got them. :) IMO, slightly larger fish do make the smaller schoolers school, but I have not found that to be an issue. Still, the smallest fish I keep with my keyhole are rummies and a couple of juvy platies. The keyhole doesn't bother them any though, but they are a bit bigger than the tetras you have.

Speaking of websites not agreeing...I knew peppered corys got to about three inches. One website I looked at said smaller though and for some reason I had a brain fart and forgot the rest. I guess I should cross them off my list and just remember to check planetcatfish for sizes.

I've never ordered a fish to be shipped to me before. I'd be willing though if it was something I really wanted. I am liking those blue spotted corys though at the moment.

Speaking of websites not agreeing...I knew peppered corys got to about three inches. One website I looked at said smaller though and for some reason I had a brain fart and forgot the rest. I guess I should cross them off my list and just remember to check planetcatfish for sizes.

I've never ordered a fish to be shipped to me before. I'd be willing though if it was something I really wanted. I am liking those blue spotted corys though at the moment.
Yeah, there are some amazing cory varieties out there for sure. I like planetcatfish for basic info, I have found them to be pretty reliable, but I wish some of their profiles were more detailed.

Yeah, there are some amazing cory varieties out there for sure. I like planetcatfish for basic info, I have found them to be pretty reliable, but I wish some of their profiles were more detailed.

They have so many species on there there. It's fun to look at all the C numbers and wish I could find some of them. I've so far managed to avoid looking at the L numbers since that's a whole bunch of fish I won't be able to have.

Ok I guess it's time for a vote/poll because honestly who doesn't love one of those? I'll try and list all the options and see what everyone thinks.

Stocking plan as of right now:
10 Kitty Tetras (Hyphessobrycon heliacus)
8 Ornate Tetras (Hyphessobrycon bentosi)
5 Three Lined Corydoras (Corydoras trilineatus)
5 Bluespotted Corydoras (Corydoras melanistius)

Now for the fun polling part (other stocking numbers adjusted as needed)

1. Just those species-
A. Leave the numbers alone they're fine.
B. Just those species but up all/some of them.

2. Another characin-
A. Glowlight Tetras
B. Black Neon Tetras
C. Black Phantom Tetras
D. Lemon Tetras
E. Marble Hatchetfish
F. Some else

3. Another similar sized Cory
A. Skunk Corydoras
B. Elegant Corydoras
C. Something else

I think that's everything because frankly that's a lot of options. I'm not even sure how many catfish I could have but I throw number 3 on partially to find out.

Ignore the last post. I'm happy with the plan being the 2 tetras and the corydoras. I don't want things overcrowded so if I add fish it'll be from those. Think it'll look better anyway.

Cycle question for anyone since I don't feel like starting another thread. My tank goes through a lot of ammonia each day but the NO2 seems off the charts quickly. On Sunday I did two 75% PWCs just to get the NO2 to a level I could read. Back off the charts 3 days later. Is this normal or should I do another PWC?

Ignore the last post. I'm happy with the plan being the 2 tetras and the corydoras. I don't want things overcrowded so if I add fish it'll be from those. Think it'll look better anyway.

Cycle question for anyone since I don't feel like starting another thread. My tank goes through a lot of ammonia each day but the NO2 seems off the charts quickly. On Sunday I did two 75% PWCs just to get the NO2 to a level I could read. Back off the charts 3 days later. Is this normal or should I do another PWC?
Sorry, I completely missed your last post until just now! Anyway, it seems you made up our mind anyway, so thats good. IMO, that sounds like a good plan. It should be a very pretty set-up. :)

As for the cycle question, sorry, but can you please remind me, are you just doing a fishless cycle, or do you have any stock in there yet?

Sorry, I completely missed your last post until just now! Anyway, it seems you made up our mind anyway, so thats good. IMO, that sounds like a good plan. It should be a very pretty set-up. :)

As for the cycle question, sorry, but can you please remind me, are you just doing a fishless cycle, or do you have any stock in there yet?

No worries. I was just thinking out loud during a month long lack of sleep (working a month straight will do that). After thinking it over I just thought too many schools would be a total mess.

Fishless cycle. There's a whole other thread on how bad my cycle has been going. I just asked here through since the question didn't match that subject line. Sunday I had the NO2 to 1.0 ppm. I didn't add ammonia then until Monday when the NO2 was down to .5. Added 20 ml ammonia to reach the 4.0 ammonia both Monday and yesterday.

No worries. I was just thinking out loud during a month long lack of sleep (working a month straight will do that). After thinking it over I just thought too many schools would be a total mess.

Fishless cycle. There's a whole other thread on how bad my cycle has been going. I just asked here through since the question didn't match that subject line. Sunday I had the NO2 to 1.0 ppm. I didn't add ammonia then until Monday when the NO2 was down to .5. Added 20 ml ammonia to reach the 4.0 ammonia both Monday and yesterday.
Ok, well I am not a cycle expert by any means. It sounds like you are progressing, just slowly. Hopefully, somebody else will chime in who knows more about the specific numbers you should be at. I did fish-in cycles. I think the spike is normal though, but don't quote me on that...;)

Ok, well I am not a cycle expert by any means. It sounds like you are progressing, just slowly. Hopefully, somebody else will chime in who knows more about the specific numbers you should be at. I did fish-in cycles. I think the spike is normal though, but don't quote me on that...;)

That's the method I'm used to as well so I'm clueless about the fishless stuff. Lots of problems with it but hey no dead fish so that's good. :)

The stocking full of crushed coral wasn't doing much to help the ph and that was always low. I put it back in the tank though and made the water as cloudy as I could. That raised my ph nicely and hopefully that will help my cycle.

Nothing other than that going on other than my tank looks amazing (in my opinion anyway) not sure if the plants fit in though but they're in there now.

How long have your nitrites been showing high numbers?

It took a couple days to get to 5.0 and been that way for a few days. So considering where things were earlier on this is completely normal. I know the bacteria is there and has been for a long time. Just want to see them doing there job lol.

Slightly better pics. The frogbit doesn't quite match to me. I definitely want to add more leaves. There is six in there and they last long than I thought.

img_1627000_0_27d2de366e9f109c5f937417f1fe029a.jpg

img_1627000_1_8677f817a8f48134aeab357c2888cf42.jpg

c_leed said:
Slightly better pics. The frogbit doesn't quite match to me. I definitely want to add more leaves. There is six in there and they last long than I thought.

Frogbit will multiple very quickly in a couple of days

Back
Top Bottom