5 gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I was wondering for you advice on what I should put in my 5 gallon tank that I have currently running as a scud colony (soon to be devoured) and I have room for actually livestock, so I was wondering what your guys opinions were.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
I was thinking of maybe adding native fish, but I don't really have any good ideas.

It depends how much maintenance you intend to do, and whether it will be planted, and if you listen to more conservative advice, and if you want the fish to survive or really thrive.

There are very few fishkeepers to whom I'd recommend keeping more than a betta and a few nerites in a 5 gallon. Most other fish, even with small bioloads, seem to need more swimming space.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

a small pair of killies is another option. Betta being the easiest to care for in my opinion. Do you plan on heating the tank or providing supplemental light?

I intend to have thriving livestock, it's going to be a low light planted tank. I am growing java moss and java fern in it. And I intend to do weekly water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I have a heater and adequate light for the tank. I have had the tank for about 6 years.

Putting more than 1-2 fish in it could require more than weekly water changes.

I have a betta alone in a 3, packed full of plants (an ozelot sword, crypt parva, microsword, hygro augustifolia, and almost the whole surface covered with floating brazilian pennywort) and it still required 50% weekly changes to keep nitrates down. It needs fewer now that there's no filter but that's a whole different ball game and not optimal for all fish. Heavily planted, lower water change tanks are often lightly stocked.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom