50 gallon Tall Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommachef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never done a "build thread" before, so I thought I'd give it a go. I hope I have this in the right spot. :)

I picked up this used tank and stand at my lfs over the weekend. It's a 50 gallon tall square tank.
I'm running a 75 gallon canister filter, a power head, and single bright LED lights. It also has a bubble wall at the bottom, and I will be adding another one in the middle of the tank in a few days. The filter is an off brand, and I was hesitant about using an off brand so they said if I decide I don't like it or if I have any problems with it bring it back and he'll give me the name brand for no cost, no questions asked.

Attachments

• image-3326298895.jpg
    image-3326298895.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 500
Went back to the store yesterday to "just look" at different fish options for it and to talk to them about my choices. Came home with an expensive piece of driftwood and a bag of moss. Lol
So here I go soaking my floaty driftwood. Since I have no fish in the tank, and I don't have anything big enough to soak it in- into the tank it went. I'll let it soak another day or two and then I'll do a water change to clear the water up.
Loosely attached my mosses to the branches of the wood. I'll decide where I really want them when the wood is where I want it to go.

I decided on angelfish for the tank, by the way.

Attachments

• image-2919109859.jpg
    image-2919109859.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3294679590.jpg
    image-3294679590.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 101
It's looking pretty good and I think angels would look excellent in that tank

Thanks! I'm hoping to get some Philippine or platinum blue veil tails to brighten the tank up a bit. Something different than the standard black and silver ones.

Ohh wow those ones are pretty...are you JUST doing angels or are you thinking of adding a small schooling fish as well

Ohh ok...how many angels are you planning on putting in there

6 or 8, depending on if I decide to add other fish to it later. Hopefully I can get some male/female pairs and have some babies! :)

Oh I can't wait to see it when it's all cycled and has fish in in....when I get a bigger tank I'm planning on getting an angel

Thanks, I just can't wait until my driftwood sinks! Lol! My tank looks absurd right now because that giant piece of wood is floating around in it. :) I'm going to add some more plants to it either this weekend or next week sometime.

I'd say go with a pair of angels and some schooling fish (diamond, lemon, red eye tetras- larger bodied). 6 to 8 angels in a tank with that footprint would end badly.

I have a large koi angel in a 75g now and she'll chase any fish away when she lays eggs. Things get brutal sometimes. Even with larger fish (geos) she would hold her ground.

Hmmm.... Definitely something to think about. I'm not set on that many pairs- I just noticed that the ones I want to get I'm really only finding in "packages" of 6 or 8, so I was planning to buy that many and probably thinning out the herd as needed.

Here's one of my two Philippine blues I got from eBay. They're awesome. They love picking at my moss.

Attachments

• image-1612801413.jpg
    image-1612801413.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 69
A view of my tank from my bed. Driftwood is finally on the bottom and secured with rocks. There's some fake plants in just for cover for the fish, am making a trip to my fish stores to pick up some rocks, plants, and maybe some driftwood scraps so I can build some "pots" for the plants and some caves for my little pictus catfish to hang out in.

Forgot the pictures again. Lol

Attachments

• image-3601043141.jpg
    image-3601043141.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image-1682632302.jpg
    image-1682632302.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image-858168562.jpg
    image-858168562.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 67
It is looking awesome...how many angels did you end up getting...and what plant are you planning on getting

Thanks! I got a package of 6, but only have 2 at the moment. The other ones are on their way now. I'm going to keep a pair and a friend of mine is going to take the other 2. If it comes that I have to rehome my second pair from aggression from the oddball size tank, he's going to take those too. Yay for backup plans! Lol
I'm not sure what plants yet, but probably some java ferns or something really simple because this is my first tank with any live plants in it. I'm going to go check them out tonight.

Ohh yeah back up plans are always good lol...and you should try torta Val I think it is called inwas told it grows quick and it would look good in your tank because it grows tall

Here's a few updated pics. Just got my rocks delivered today, waiting on a few more that should be in tomorrow. Still haven't decided on plants yet.... My lfs didn't really have what I was looking for so I'll check back in a few days after they get a new shipment. I'm really liking how this is turning out! These guys' color is really starting to pop against the red rocks.

Attachments

• image-3056582096.jpg
    image-3056582096.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image-890783945.jpg
    image-890783945.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom