55 gallon deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
My buddy picked up a good deal on craigs list today... he got a 55gal tank with a marineland c360 filter, aqueon 55 filter, heater that works, a stand, decor and a python for $125.

Im a little jealous that he got all that for what he paid and i didnt. but i have a couple questions...

We got the canister filter hooked up. replaced all the media. but it spurts out air every once in a while. Probably about every 10 mins or so.. Is that normal? I got the manual off the internet and did everything just like it said.

And also , the aqueon filter does not work right. I can get the impeller to run, but once i put the filter in the water , it will not. What might be wrong with this filter?

Also , by buddy wanted me to ask you all what might be good for stalking this tank. He wants something exotic. I told him about the african cichlids and he is debating , but he really wants a fresh water shark. What kind of shark would work with cichlids?

I am guessing that it is probably air in the filter causing it to spit the bubbles, a leak is possible but I would think that it would more than likely leak water. The impeller problem sounds like it is not properly adhered to the shaft any longer. Have you tried pulling it off? If it comes off drop some crazy glue on that beast stick it back together...being very careful not to get the crazy glue on the bearings and seize the motor. If that doesn't work I would have to guess that the motor is shot and doesn't have the strength to push the water. Have your friend browse liveaquaria.com and check out all the fish on there. I am personally a huge fan of predators like oscars, African Butterflyfish, or bichirs. Bichirs will eventually out grow the tank but they grow very slowly.

The spitting of bubbles is just air that gets caught up and created in the filter. It doesn't really hurt anything except for being an eye sore. I can't give any advice on the impeller as I've never dealt with them. As far as stocking goes you could have him try discus, severums, or africans but I would suggest not doing a shark as they will very quickly out grow a 55

Back
Top Bottom