55 gallon stocking plans, advice requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boojumsnark25

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, after good deal of research here is the lineup I came up with:

1 Half Black Angelfish - I knew that most angels get aggressive, but I've read that this is a peaceful species and will not harm my other tank mates.

1 Pearl Gourami - I have him in another tank and love him to death. He's mature and full size.

6 Zebra Danios - I've kept these fish since I first started in the hobby, and they are one of my favorite fish. However, in the past I've never schooled them (silly, I know). I've always had ten gallons so I've never really had room for a school. I'm looking forward to it.

6 Gold Platys - Same story as the danios.

2 Marigold Swordtails - Also had these fish from day 1, absolutley love em

1 Black Ghost Knifefish - I know I'm going cause a lot of debate with this one. Everyone on the board here seems to think that a 55 is too small for a BGK. However, through research, I have read source after source after source saying they rarely grow past a foot in captivity, regardless of the tank size. Besides, if he gets too big for my tank, I can always find him a bigger home.

What do you guys think?

boojumsnark25 said:

1 Half Black Angelfish - I knew that most angels get aggressive, but I've read that this is a peaceful species and will not harm my other tank mates.
all angels are the same species :? unless you have an altum.
1 Pearl Gourami - I have him in another tank and love him to death. He's mature and full size.

6 Zebra Danios - I've kept these fish since I first started in the hobby, and they are one of my favorite fish. However, in the past I've never schooled them (silly, I know). I've always had ten gallons so I've never really had room for a school. I'm looking forward to it.

1 Black Ghost Knifefish - I know I'm going cause a lot of debate with this one. Everyone on the board here seems to think that a 55 is too small for a BGK. However, through research, I have read source after source after source saying they rarely grow past a foot in captivity, regardless of the tank size. Besides, if he gets too big for my tank, I can always find him a bigger home.

What do you guys think?
fine with me

I think that the ghost knife wouldn't be a good choice..not because of size, but because I have read they dont have the best temperament...and if you dont you can have a lot more fish, because with 1 angel, 6 danios, 6 gold and 2 swordtails platies, thats not nearly completely stocked! now, you could bump that 6 danios up to like 13 or something ( I prefer to school in odd numbers, because whenever I shool with even, one allway's gets left out) and you could so somthing like corries, or cherry barbs, or you know, somthing else if you dont get the ghost knife...just my personal opinion

JDogg said:
boojumsnark25 said:

all angels are the same species :? unless you have an altum.

What do you guys think?
fine with me

Well I've read that for some reason half blacks are a little more peaceful...most sites give this one a peaceful rating and most all other angles semi aggressive...

I don't know, not that I've researched and found that a BGK won't get the two feet that everyone talks about, I'm pretty set about getting him in my tank...I think the danios are big enough that the knifefish wouldn't bother them...I was going to get a school of neon tetras, but, obviously with a BGK that's out of the question.

So, with that lineup, am I overstocked, understocked, or just right?

i think the danios will get eaten by the BGK when it grows up. angels will happily eat neons too, so definitely out. in my experience angels aren't necessarily aggressive, they are just... feisty. i think any angel would be fine in your tank.

Thanks for the advice guys. As far as stocking, am i overstocked/understocked/just right?

I would have two or three females with one male swordtail. Those numbers seem to work well for me. With your platies and swordtails you may not be understocked for long!

Good luck, sounds like a great tank setup.

I haven't seen other objections...but this is my experience:
I have heard that gouramis can be territorial and aggressive. I do not know if this accounts for all gouramis. I had two blue gouramis once upon a time. They harrased every fish in my tank to the point where I had to buy a new tank to house them. The male killed the female in this bigger tank. He also harrased, chased and nipped at fish twice his size. I would keep that other tank set up just in case.
And I, too, get these ideas in my head and purchase fish people tell me not to. What can you do?? It's either gonna work, or it won't. I have had a Brown African Knife in my 55 gal semi-aggressive community tank for 2 years. They said he would get huge, and is a "sensitive" species with special care requirements. Well...it's 2 years later and he's still the same size as when I bought him; about 6 inches. I have taught him how to eat from my hand, and he is probably the least aggressive in the tank. I have an angel in there also. They get along fine. I've also seen a 10 gal tank housing an electric yellow cichlid with black phantom tetras. It's my friends tank, and has been set up for several years. All the fish in their get along great, and they're all uncompatable species. So..anything is possible.
GOOD LUCK! And make sure you post pics when the tank is set-up :)

Back
Top Bottom