55Gal $200 dream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colzboppo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi There Fellow Fishy Forum Enthusiasts!!!!!!

I have just bought a 55gallon tank with fluval 304 cannister filter, hood, lights, spare filter, Jewel stand, and gravel, a bargain at only £150. :lol:
Unfortunately we have not put any fish or plants in there yet.
I have a small school of 4 Green Tiger Barbs. :?
I will add 4 more tiger barbs to that school in the 55gal, and was thinking of possible tank mates. I would LOVE your opinion on what you think would be good buddies.
I first thought Kuhli loaches, corydoras, african cichlids, bala shark.. Thoughts? Experiences.
Also If you have any good suggestions on suitable Biotopes including decent plants.
All input very much appreciated, :p

Colin

10 Gal
2 Serpae Tetra
1 Sterbae Cory
1 Bronze Cory
2 Black widow tetra
3 pristella tetra
4 New Baby Green Tiger Barbs
1 Clown pleco

55 Gal
????????????
!U Decide???

my brother has an all barb 29 gal tank...he loves it...active, colorful, and just nice looking fish...his list includes tiget barbs, green tiger barbs, rosy barbs, and a few more...he also has 3 algae eaters in there considerring they are from the same family as barbs...he also has a small school or cory cats...

just my 2 cents...i wouldnt mix african cichlids with barbs or many other fish for that matter, cichlids prefer higher pH then most other fw fish...

I'm with Gordinho80 on this, but technically you could get some Africans and of all the FW tropicals tiger barbs are some of the best equipped to be "dithers" for Africans.

However, I can't tell from your post if you are into more of a barren, rocky African tank overstocked with aggressive yellow and blue mbuna, or if you are leaning more towards angels, rams and tetras with driftwood and plants.

You might be thinking of some of the riverine west Africans like kribensis, and a pair of those would be a great addition to a larger community steupt, as they do not prefer the very hard, alkaline water that the rift lake species of cichlids prefer. There are more than just kribensis available nowadays when it comes to W. African riverine cichlids, so let's explore more of what you are interested in, and break it down from there.

my lfs has an "all barb" tank that is i think around 46gal. (not sure on the size) Any ways.. ...really fun tank to watch as barbs are really active fish. It has tiger barbs, green tiger barbs, rosy barbs, gold barbs and even some fancy tail rosy barbs. There are a few other fish too but never really pay attention other than "wow look at how fast all those fish are movin around the tank" kind of thing.

If you do go all or mostly barb, consider some Odessa barbs...probably the most attractive barb.

This pic does not come close to giving them justice, particularly when mature (they get bright yellow fins):
http://www.ualberta.ca/~gdegreef/gallery/odessa.gif

black rubys

Don't overlook black ruby barbs. They are very hardy, active, and don't seem as nippy as the tiger barbs. The males turn a bright red color and chase each other from time to time which is cool! It never results in harm.

You could easily keep barbs with various South American cichlids if you want cichlids, although I would tend to agree with others about the Africans. I keep green barbs and tiger barbs in my 55 gallon with a severum (the one in my av), firemouth, and convict and it is a very active and interesting tank. BTW kuhlis and cories would be fine with barbs. :mrgreen:

2 Convict couples
1 Firemouth couple
6 Tiger Barbs
6 Buenos Aires
1 Red Fin shark
1 Pleco
3 Siamese Algae Eater

in a 65 Gal .... Great tank at all levels :)

top -> Buenos Aires
middle-top -> Tiger barbs
bottom -> Red Fin Shark, Convicts and Firemouths

Very colorfull and active tank

OMG oblac! 8O :lol: I can't believe you have 2 pairs of cons and a pair of firemouths and they don't kill each other! Your tank must be really interesting with all that cichlid action. 8)

Nah ... no killing going on :)

I got them all when they where young, so they're used to each other.

The alpha male convict and male firemouth like to show off to each other, but rarelly any touching going on ... I like the action :twisted: :wink:

I use a lot of flat bed rock to create many levels and areas in the tank, fish seem to like it.

I used a bunch of rock to make caves for my 55 gallon tank too, 70 pounds to be exact. I thought I was never going to finish scrubbing rocks. :roll: My cichlids love their caves though.

Back
Top Bottom