Help with stocking 33 gallon and 17 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celticfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think they are roughly that size, 125l and 64l. Both tanks are 25c/77f.

Planned stocking

33G
7 Platys
10 Tiger Barbs/other smaller fish
14 Corys (1 Pepper Cory,3 Bronze Cory,3 Albino Cory,6 Panda Cory,1 Bandit Cory)

17G
3 Platys
10 Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasboras/other smaller fish
6 Corys (1 Julii Cory, 5 Sterbaii/Other Corys/possibly 6 Jullii)

The fish in red I dont have.

1 Fish per gallon I know is a bit crazy but they are small fish that I think occupy different areas and I am good water changes and tank maintenance. 40% water change on 33G and 50% water change on 17G every week or 2 weeks at most, 9 times out of 10 every week and I do the filter on the smaller tank every 3 or 4 water changes and the filter on the bigger one every 2 months just swished in a bucket of tank water to remove any sludge or build up.

I never planned to mix Corys either(much), the Julii is the last remaining and the Pepper came with the tank. I would get more Julii but I have never seen them available since in about 50 trips to about 10 different stores. The Bandit/Metae Cory was just a mistake I did last week thinking it was a Panda as i've been trying to get them for ages and seen that one in a tank that said Panda but I noticed it's not.

Ideally I would just have 3 Albino/3 Bronze and 6 Panda and in the other tank 6 of the same kind, i'd take 5 more Julii but if not then I will probably get Sterbai if I see them.

I have never kept Tiger barbs and I am cautious about them. Im open to suggestions of other small schooling/shoaling mid to upper water fish - nice coloured ones mostly but not Cherry barbs or probably most tetras but theres a couple I thought about. Other barbs, danios or rasboras or similar is what I was thinking.

I have soft water and 7ph. I know Platys like hard water or so people say but I have not had a problem keeping them a long time and raising ones to adults and keeping them although I did have a problem with Guppys which seemed to die weeks and months after getting them so I never got them again.

I'd be wary of mixing the Tiger barbs with the platys: they might be too aggressive for them. Black Ruby Barbs are a bit more peaceful.

As for the catfish, corys are happiest in groups of five or more of the same species. I would reduce it to one or two species and have five or more of each.

Also, and I'll admit I tend to be cautious about these things, both tanks seem a bit overstocked to me. You'll need to be diligent with your water changes to keep up.

I'd be wary of mixing the Tiger barbs with the platys: they might be too aggressive for them. Black Ruby Barbs are a bit more peaceful.

As for the catfish, corys are happiest in groups of five or more of the same species. I would reduce it to one or two species and have five or more of each.

Also, and I'll admit I tend to be cautious about these things, both tanks seem a bit overstocked to me. You'll need to be diligent with your water changes to keep up.

Yeah it would be overstocking both tanks but I am on top of water changes and tank maintenance.

I have definitely decided against Tiger Barbs though, they get too big and once they were full size i'd probably not be able to have other upper swimming fish so i'll stick to smaller fish. Was out looking at fish today and seen full sized ones in person which were probably 2.5 inches long but they're also pretty thick and with Corys i'd end up needing to feed massive amounts and it's not realistic to keep them.

I did also see the Celestial Pearl Danio/Galaxy Rasbora and decided I will get them for the 17G tank, I liked how they looked and how they were swimming and they seem ideal.

Back
Top Bottom