A project that will make my wallet cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlarge

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have sold two of my tanks in preperation for this, but it will still be brutal.

I am buying a 150 gal tank and stocking it with 6-8 Discus and 1-2 Teacup stingrays.

I will probably start it in late August and stock by christmas. As you can see I haven't decided on stock numbers so If you have a sugestion I'd apreciate it.

I need a recomendation for a sand substrate that dosen't raise pH, also.

I will post the estimated cost, if anyone is interested.

I believe the Playsand found at most Home Depots will not alter pH. I have it in two of my tanks and have not seen a difference.

from what i've read about FW stingrays, "teacup" is a term often loosely applied to any young ray that has a disc size of up to 6-7". Potamotrygon Reticulata (Hystrix,Scobinae too) stays the closest to that size, they grow to be about 12" or so with a tail about the same length. Motoro's and others (Leopoldi, Henlei, Castexi) can grow to anywhere from 18" to 30" (disc size). you may know this already, but just incase... :wink:

I did. I know of a breeder whose teacups regularly only grow to be about 9"

Anyone know where to find a (realitively) cheap 150 gallon tank?

From what I've seen (at LFS around me at least) it's not the tank that's expensive. It's the hood, the lighting, filters, etc. :) You are in cinci, check for the closest Jack's Aquarium and pets. I believe the closest to you would be Dayton, however they regularly have very large tanks in stock for good prices. Good luck!

-brent

Edit: you work at a petsmart and aren't able to get a good discount? damn... too bad

I would choose otherwise, dude. Discus like a higher-temperature soft-water, low-pH tank, and very clean water. They often do best in planted tanks, so as to feel comfortable. Rays wouldn't do as well in that kind of set-up, esp. without room to swim.

Just my opinion. If you want discus, go with other higher-temp fish like cardinal tetras. Plecos are also native to the area, so they'd do fine in 84 degree water.

150s are hard to find locally. Good luck! Petsmart might just have the best price for a couple hundred miles around with that discount. A 125 might be easier to find if you're willing to downgrade slightly.

Another suggestion is superpetz (i believe it really is spelled with the z). I would never buy their fish, but if you have one in your area they always have very large tanks in stock at "wholesale" prices.

-brent

I would make sure to check your local paper. I just ran a search on mine and there is a 150g for sale--Too bad for you it is in Iowa.

AQUARIUM, 150 gallon, High, lid & light, $350. 515-984-6788

Just in case you want to road trip :)

madasafish said:
I would choose otherwise, dude. Discus like a higher-temperature soft-water, low-pH tank, and very clean water. They often do best in planted tanks, so as to feel comfortable. Rays wouldn't do as well in that kind of set-up, esp. without room to swim.

Just my opinion. If you want discus, go with other higher-temp fish like cardinal tetras. Plecos are also native to the area, so they'd do fine in 84 degree water.

I've seen it work well. My idea is to duplicate the root system they like to hide under by making artificial roots that are attached to the glass and the 3D background, in a slightly lowwered horisontal direction. Also a large piece of driftwoodtowards the side of the glass. I'm going to have the opposit side against the glass with a huge amount of artificials. Only a fith of the tank bottom will be occuied but there will be cover for the discus. I've kept discus and I've kept stingrays and I kept the water conditions identical. I don't know what you're worried about.

If I can find a scanner I'll post my sketch of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom