Panther Crab (Parathelphusa pantherina) breeding project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll try to repost this on my computer in a bit. Turned out couldn't add the videos so simply

Here's the first video update! This is a three-part (3 Part) Unboxing/Unpacking video of the snails and dwarf water lettuce I got from Brennae. Thanks Brennae!

*sorry about the video going out of focus part way through. My mom was getting tired of holding my Nexus 9.

*sorry about the video going out of focus after the pump shot ( :lol: ), I didn't have much more to tell/show so I didn't worry about it. Also, it's more difficult than it looks to tap the screen while a video is being shot.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this transaction, and I'll be purchasing from her again.

Here's the book i recommend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448178141691.jpg
    1448178141691.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 49
It's not cheap as its hardcover but with full color pictures and detailed instructions it's worth it!

It's not cheap as its hardcover but with full color pictures and detailed instructions it's worth it!

Comparing prices, I saw someone trying to sell one for $500! Others for over $100 on Amazon. Dang, good thing Google Books has it for $29.69 from PetStore.com I'm also looking into audible since I haven't gotten my free month that a lot of YouTubers advertise, but then I don't get the pics... Seriously though, it's ridiculous what some people try to sell for smh.

On an entirely different note, I may be getting some crabs soon! They're on sell at AquaticArts, but at the normal price of $16.99. Not cheap, but I'm thinking it's better to purchase a trio from three different sources to get enough generic diversity. Are you excited?! I sure am! :D

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just ordered the book for $34.01 including shipping. Great deal considering some people were trying to sell them for over $100. Still have enough money for ze crabs, but may hold out until I can get some micro heaters for each tank. Does anyone know the width of the intake tube of this filter? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VAFGKI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 I'd like to purchase them for my crabs and just modify the intake to accept a micro heater so I can ensure the crabs won't get burnt to a crisp.

After the filter and micro heater, I'll be buying the first trio of these crabs! Can't wait! :D

Just found out my order of the book has been cancelled. Also, the crabs at aquatic arts can't be sexed so I won't be buying from them. This all in addition to the fact that I don't think many people read this...

Even though everything is going against me, I'm still going to push on. I'm just having a low day, but I'm glad the Lord's mercies are new everyday! I hope if you're reading this (if anyone still does) you have an awesome day. God bless! Even though He changes my plans, still I will push on in Him.

Just found out my order of the book has been cancelled. Also, the crabs at aquatic arts can't be sexed so I won't be buying from them. This all in addition to the fact that I don't think many people read this...

Even though everything is going against me, I'm still going to push on. I'm just having a low day, but I'm glad the Lord's mercies are new everyday! I hope if you're reading this (if anyone still does) you have an awesome day. God bless! Even though He changes my plans, still I will push on in Him.

The book and crab stuff sucks. Plz push on. There are a lot of people watching this... Much much more who will find this info useful in the future....the reason why a lot of people say nothing is because they have nothing to contribute/say. I feel your pain. On my aquarium thread I think only about 2 people ever payed attention/ took time out of their day/ cares to look at my thread... It can hurt... A lot especially when you're already having a rough day. If you're having a rough day usually it means the next day will be amazing.. Let's hope that to be true in your case. I will start looking for your panther crabs personally and will let you know if I can find some sexes ones at good prices. Btw... Have you ever heard/ kept micro crabs?

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs
Cn

The book and crab stuff sucks. Plz push on. There are a lot of people watching this... Much much more who will find this info useful in the future....the reason why a lot of people say nothing is because they have nothing to contribute/say. I feel your pain. On my aquarium thread I think only about 2 people ever payed attention/ took time out of their day/ cares to look at my thread... It can hurt... A lot especially when you're already having a rough day. If you're having a rough day usually it means the next day will be amazing.. Let's hope that to be true in your case. I will start looking for your panther crabs personally and will let you know if I can find some sexes ones at good prices. Btw... Have you ever heard/ kept micro crabs?

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs
Cn

Thank you. I hope it's true that tomorrow will be amazing, and I much appreciate the kind words and the initiative to look into sexed crabs for me :) the website I plan to buy from is aquariumfish.net, as they have the largest crabs for the least money (2-2.5 inch crabs [1.5-2.0 inches excluding legs] @$9.99 each). That kind of deal is unheard of, and the crabs need to be around 1.8 inches excluding the legs to breed. I hope you find something, bull, and as mentioned I much appreciate it. :)

I have heard of micro crabs, yes, but haven't researched them. I like the panther crab due to its coloring, but the micro crabs don't have that benefit. However, I once read they're difficult to breed, so I may breed them in the future :) the panther crabs are also vulnerable in the wild according to the IUCN due to a possible nickel mine, and I'm going to breed them not only for this hobby but also so I can help the population recover if they make the nickel mine (which would destroy the water quality and kill the populations of these crabs. As such, these are one of my top priorities as far as my business goes, as if I can get a sustainable supply in the hobby we won't be dependent on the wild populations and we also wouldn't deplete the wild populations. That way, even if the wild populations suffer our hobby won't, and I might be able to export some to replenish the populations (after the water quality improves if that's an issue).

Anyway, lol, I could talk about this crab all day. I recently did a voicethread on this topic, and I may share it when I get the chance. I think it'll help y'all to understand without you needing to read a book :p :lol:

:thanks: I much appreciate the support! I'll push on because as bull said, not only are people reading this now, but they will be for years to come. :)

Found a couple links for ya so far:

Link 1: Panther Crab Rare *Parathelphusa pantherina * Tropical Water Fish Shrimp Java - Its a Fishy Buziness LInk 1 has a decent price if it's an adult crab but it doesnt really specify the size from what I saw. Also they're located in the UK so I doubt you'd want to pay the cost of international shipping.

Alright so I've been scouring the internet for these panther crabs and decent prices and man are they hard to come by! I can't find any decent prices that aren't in the UK or the site that you mentioned. I will look some more.

BTW: I will shoot you a PM about the panther crabs so make sure to check your inbox :)

I do read this stuff but unfortunately I won't be able to help or say much because I don't know anything about breeding, crabs, or breeding crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I hope it's true that tomorrow will be amazing, and I much appreciate the kind words and the initiative to look into sexed crabs for me :) the website I plan to buy from is aquariumfish.net, as they have the largest crabs for the least money (2-2.5 inch crabs [1.5-2.0 inches excluding legs] @$9.99 each). That kind of deal is unheard of, and the crabs need to be around 1.8 inches excluding the legs to breed. I hope you find something, bull, and as mentioned I much appreciate it. :)

I have heard of micro crabs, yes, but haven't researched them. I like the panther crab due to its coloring, but the micro crabs don't have that benefit. However, I once read they're difficult to breed, so I may breed them in the future :) the panther crabs are also vulnerable in the wild according to the IUCN due to a possible nickel mine, and I'm going to breed them not only for this hobby but also so I can help the population recover if they make the nickel mine (which would destroy the water quality and kill the populations of these crabs. As such, these are one of my top priorities as far as my business goes, as if I can get a sustainable supply in the hobby we won't be dependent on the wild populations and we also wouldn't deplete the wild populations. That way, even if the wild populations suffer our hobby won't, and I might be able to export some to replenish the populations (after the water quality improves if that's an issue).

Anyway, lol, I could talk about this crab all day. I recently did a voicethread on this topic, and I may share it when I get the chance. I think it'll help y'all to understand without you needing to read a book :p :lol:

:thanks: I much appreciate the support! I'll push on because as bull said, not only are people reading this now, but they will be for years to come. :)

Why just crabs? I dont feel like many people keep crabs why not put all this effort into something that will give you more results in cash return? I know I read at one point that you wanted to turn this into a business. Why dont you breed fish that are in high demand? Such as Blue Rams, Discuis, or Angel Fish? Sorry if you have covered this question at some point but I skim read.

I do read this stuff but unfortunately I won't be able to help or say much because I don't know anything about breeding, crabs, or breeding crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least you're reading to learn, right? Thanks for the support! :D

Why just crabs? I dont feel like many people keep crabs why not put all this effort into something that will give you more results in cash return? I know I read at one point that you wanted to turn this into a business. Why dont you breed fish that are in high demand? Such as Blue Rams, Discuis, or Angel Fish? Sorry if you have covered this question at some point but I skim read.

Great question! And I totally understand, clever, don't worry about skim reading in a thread like this that's more like a book :lol:

It's not going to just be crabs. I'll also breed shrimp and fish (though I prefer the crabs and shrimp), but I'm slightly more concerned with uncommon, unusual, vulnerable, threatened, endangered, and critically endangered species in our hobby.

Also, that's the other issue you touched on. Not a lot of people keep crabs! Why? They're IMMENSELY interesting! Seriously, that's one thing I hope to show y'all through videos and such. I love crabs because they're immensely interesting, but for some weird reason I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why more people don't keep them.

Lastly, I have actually considered breeding discus, but the requirements are too much for my very limited budget and being in college. Also, I encourage you to watch the following video:
the key point in this video is how long it took him

As an update, I just got one ounce of black worms (yay! Variety for my guppies!) And found about 12 dozen fry. Not kidding. I think that's why they're sometimes called the millions fish :lol: I'll post pics soon!

*before black worms

*you can see two clumps; one top left corner and another in the middle near the bright spot

*and the 12 dozen guppy fry, though they may be hard to see

So Friday I'm going to hit the LFS for supplies and they normally have panther crabs. I'll get a price while I'm there.
Micro crabs are from Thailand I believe and they don't breed in fresh water I was told by LFS employee. Also they have to have a way to get out of the water for air. I was going to get a few but then they told me the air part. They have this contraption that is underwater and uses and airpump and makes an air oasis. It's not cheap though and takes up to ouch space for a 10g.

So Friday I'm going to hit the LFS for supplies and they normally have panther crabs. I'll get a price while I'm there.
Micro crabs are from Thailand I believe and they don't breed in fresh water I was told by LFS employee. Also they have to have a way to get out of the water for air. I was going to get a few but then they told me the air part. They have this contraption that is underwater and uses and airpump and makes an air oasis. It's not cheap though and takes up to ouch space for a 10g.

I'd appreciate it. Also, make sure you get the size without legs as well if possible, as it would help determine if it's a great deal or not.

Micro crabs breed in freshwater, just no one knows how exactly. Rachel O'Leary has gotten multiple batches, but still hasn't been able to determine how it happens and what exactly allows them to succeed (I emailed her about it), so we're still not much closer to being able to breed a sustainable supply. Sounds like a job for me, no? :lol:

Also, micro crabs don't need access to air according to my research, but then again that's what they said about the panther crab and my first time keeping them proved otherwise. However, it should be simple to provide them with an air space even if you can't afford one of those oases. Due to their small size, they likely won't be able to reach the sides of the tank easily, so you shouldn't need to worry about them climbing out. Also, floating plants should do the trick as long as they can get to the floating plants without too much trouble. And I know you have floating plants, but don't know about which aquarium you plan to put the micro crabs in.

I am considering trying to isolate the variables that allow micro crabs to breed with successful rearing of the crablets, but that's a few weeks off at best if I can't locate the panther crabs and get bored of raising food :lol: however, even so I have an iron in the oven I can take out and form when I am ready for the panther crabs so I'm sure I'm at least going to purchase the panther crabs before the micro crabs. I also need to keep in mind the shrimp I plan to breed for my lfs when it comes back on sale as well. However, first finish this semester (one more week then finals), then consider all this and get prepared.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Very interesting. The lfs told me they climb out. But obviously they were wrong on a few fronts. I probably won't get any for now. It was an impulse thing.
I'll try my best about panther crab sizes but keep in mind it will be black Friday so of they are swamped I won't be bale to ask.

I'm totally bummed that the book I recommended is out of print. It's such a good one. I'll work out what I can do to make you a copy.

Very interesting. The lfs told me they climb out. But obviously they were wrong on a few fronts. I probably won't get any for now. It was an impulse thing.
I'll try my best about panther crab sizes but keep in mind it will be black Friday so of they are swamped I won't be bale to ask.

I'm totally bummed that the book I recommended is out of print. It's such a good one. I'll work out what I can do to make you a copy.

One thing I forgot to mention about the micro crabs is they do have fairly long legs compared to their body size, but their total reach is still probably only around an inch. Also, technically speaking any crab may climb out if given the chance, but that depends mostly on if they are comfortable in their tank. I guess you could chalk it up to running away from home if you don't like where you live or something (I know it's not the best analogy, and I'm sorry if it brings up past hurts, but it's the only one I could think of).

Update time!!! :D super excited about this project, a lot is going to happen the next couple months, so stay tuned!

"Official" video update No. 01
*I actually put the timer on my tank about a day before I read the suspected issue on Brennae's thread. Isn't it funny how things occur to multiple people around the same time :lol:

Anyway, a few things happening in the next couple months (for sure):
(1) another unpacking involving a purchase on Amazon (three packages, all due around Dec 23 to Jan 12)
(2) getting my project proposal finished with the link on this thread for y'all to see (will likely include a video describing it in at least partial detail for those like me who prefer to watch than read)
(3) getting the plans drawn out for the build I mentioned in the video and that I've been hinting at for some time

Things that'll hopefully happen in the next couple months:
(1) getting the actual build done, but I have to wait on my dad to clean out the garage so I can access the wood screws I'll use, as well as the electric drill
(2) actually getting the crabs! <3 I know! It'll be awesome if I can, but I need to earn the money first. It's time to check the price on my iron in the fire to see if it's hot enough to form ;)
(3) idk, what's number three supposed to be? Oh, yeah, get back on track for next semester (e.g. sleeping habits [I have three in-person classes on Tue/Thu with two having labs, and two online classes; I hope to be able to spend more time on this project, spending time hanging out with friends, earning money, and furthering my chances of getting into a PhD program next semester on my Mon/Wed/Fri off, but need proper sleep habits to do this])
(4) get my "fish room" organized

Also, I've been looking into the different types/species of aquatic mosses and have a breakthrough that I'll include in next week's 'official' video update, so stay tuned!

:thanks: for your support! Be sure to subscribe to this thread for more, and if you're here because you've clicked the link in the description of my video I highly recommend this thread for all your fishy concerns! :fish2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom