Panther Crab (Parathelphusa pantherina) breeding project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If a 40 gal breeder tank was kept on its side (on the 18" side panel), could that have warped the glass? If you look in my previous video update, you'll see there's two bags of 50 lb play sand that I took off last night, but was only on there about a week (though I know this is a substantial amount of time for a tank to have that much weight on its side panel). When I put it on its bottom (you'll see in the moss breakthrough with teaser video I'll publish by tomorrow night) it was a bit wobbly on the corners, but now overnight it has significantly less wobble.

I'm just wondering if this may cause problems (e.g. a leak) down the road?

Can't tell you what I'm planning with the 40B yet, but I can tell you the video I'll post is less of an 'update' and more of a quick explanation of the moss list I'm making with a brief mention of the 40B (hence, "teaser").

I'll post the video as soon as a final update is done processing! But in the meantime, could having 100 lbs worth of play sand on the side panel potentially cause problems down the road if I fill it with water? Last thing I need is a broken beyond repair 40B with over 40 gal of water flooding my fish room...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's the newest video that will go live on YouTube in a week:

Couple things that ARE updates:
(1) won't know about the crabs until Jan/Feb, but I'll let y'all know when I find out.
(2) well, nothing else much to report I guess due to being busy with college finals. The stress is so real!

Question from earlier still open for inputs: Could 100 lbs of play sand have compromised the seams of a 40 gal breeder, or could the corner wiggling that disappeared overnight be due to just normal settling of the tank after so long of being up on its side panel irregardless of weight and other potential stressors? My parents wouldn't be happy if I flooded my fish room considering it shares a wall with the living room. And I'd be severely ticked because I'd have to pay for any resulting damages.

Hope to get a real 'official' vid update for y'all next week! Not worth it if I haven't been able to do anything.

Looking forward to finals being done and for my stress to melt away. Hm, may need to get my parents to buy me a massage :lol: (cuz it's never gonna happen)

:thanks: for any inputs you can give on the 40B; I'll be letting you know what I'll be doing with it in the next week (may do more updates since I'm out of college for a couple months, though I also need to earn some $). If you can't help me I'll probably put this in another part of the forum, though don't know where it'd be appropriate... Any ideas?

Alas! I may just have to go it alone and keep my wits about me to ensure nothing terrible happens. Who knows, maybe someone will be able to help ;)

I'd be concerned yes. Try General forum about the 40b.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd be concerned yes. Try General forum about the 40b.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Set up a thread last night, we'll see if anyone gets back to me before i try filling 'er
up today. Major update coming as well! (as a mid week treat since I'm out of college for a couple months)

Subbed to your channel GreenGo

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!

My previous video in post #82 will be temporarily unavailable until 5 AM Arizona time due to being scheduled to go public on YouTube at that time. In order to be scheduled the video has to be private.

Also, I'm sorry for not updating this thread with my first build video this past Wednesday as planned, but I've been having several issues whilst trying to upload it to YouTube. Hopefully I'll have the link to update this thread with by Monday so you can preview it and have exclusive access until Wednesday.

Thank you for understanding. Hopefully we'll have things ironed out for my next build video (whenever that is), and I appreciate your support.

:thanks:

You're newest upload was pretty good, loved the comments around 4:20

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here's my second 'Official' Vlog Update! It's also the first one you've seen that shows my face, though I've also done this style for my first build video
https://youtu.be/ovfL36A8FqU

I'd appreciate it if you could provide feedback and suggestions on how to make it better (more engaging, informative, fun, entertaining, etc, up to your sole discretion). You can reply to this thread or comment on the video if you happen to be required to open YouTube to play the video.

:thanks:

Alright, so the build video is finally up and is scheduled to go public at 5am. However, due to using a free trial there is a watermark.. Here's the link, just remember you won't be able to watch it until 5am AZ time (7am on the east coast; 4am on the west coast): https://youtu.be/5J-YVaHBbTE

Also, yesterday I received my Marimo Moss Balls: https://youtu.be/VhKa-pKrKSo it's currently unlisted, so you'll be able to watch it.

:thanks: be sure to let me know how I can improve these videos (right now I'm going for more of a vlog, but that may change if y'all prefer something different)

Here's my latest unboxing video from a special package that arrived today:
https://youtu.be/YSYP4lHSlV0

Thanks Brenna! Looking forward to purchasing from you again!

P.S. everything was indeed alive and well. Thanks again for the free sample of fish flakes! :D

Cool video and unboxing dude!

EDIT: Dude is this vid public or private? Cause I can see it when I follow the link but when I go to the YouTube app and look at my subscription lost and look at your channel it isn't there

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

On a side note:
The second vlog update is scheduled to go public tomorrow morning at 6:30 am this time (experimenting with the publishing times to see if I can't reach more people), and my THIRD vlog update will be filmed tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Also, I'm working on editing the second part of the build for my 40b, but there will probably be a watermark still. Hopefully next time I need to splice videos together I'll have already purchased the product. I'll let y'all know when I get that uploaded!

Good unpacking vid!! Never get in a knife fight! Hahaha! Just joking, I'm a master taper. I used to have an eBay store, paid phone and cable bill in college.

I hope I copied what you needed. I can always send the rest a later date.

How are you cultures doing btw? What did you end up using for the base for both types of worms?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hahaha, you do a great job taping.

I used oatmeal and water for the micro worms, though I wasn't sure how to move the worms over since they weren't climbing the sides of the bag. Just got a spoonful of media and put it in the culture container, and I can make quite a few more if needed. I let the rest stay in the bag for now to see if it'd be easier to get the worms in the morning, as hopefully they'll show themselves.

I'm using soil and peat moss for the white worms and there were a ton of those in the second starter culture I dumped into the culture I made. Even got to feed some to my guppies in the 40B since there were a few stragglers :lol:

Haven't counted the IAL yet, but I trust ya ;) when I get ready to purchase my shrimp (TBA) I'll buy some cholla wood off you as well

Oh, and it seems like every unboxing video I do I have to get more and more creative to be able to film it and do an adequate job :lol: always enjoy a mental challenge

I sent like 23 IAL. Make sure to add some yeast to the microworms. And if you have a little lime you can add that to your soil and peat mix. It will take a little bit before they really get going on both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Here's part 2 of the 40B build: https://youtu.be/XSOUZ9hm-vA

Microworms are going good, and in the next couple weeks will go ahead and split the cultures and make at least a few more. Same with the white worms.

Getting the moss shelves shipped out from a seller on here come Monday, and also purchased a portion of weeping moss from him as well :) I'm also looking into the possibility of purchasing five other types of moss from another seller on here :D I think I'm becoming a bryophile (moss lover) :lol:

Also, I've made a few changes to my YouTube schedule:
(1) I'm going to alternate vlog updates and special projects, with a special project due this weekend (still trying to concretely decide if I want to publish on Saturday or Sunday)
(2) build videos will be published on Thursdays when applicable, but will still be announced within the vlog updates
(3) unboxing videos will be published on Tuesdays, but will still be posted here and in the member feedback section when I receive a package from someone on this forum

Please note: videos will be unavailable for viewing the night before they are published due to needing to set the video to private so it can be scheduled. For unboxing videos, there may be more than one going up on Tuesdays, and I plan to publish up to three a day (morning, noon/afternoon, and evening) with any extras being potentially published on Wednesday (up to three again)

Lastly, after some consideration I've decided to not let the videos do all the talking since some of you may not be able to view them for various reasons. As such, I'm going to start a hybrid type thing on this thread with a summary of what I say in the video (mostly highlights) and will also post some pics of things I may or may not include in the video :)

Hope y'all have a very Merry Christmas!

Hehehehe! May 2016 finally bring you those panther crabs!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1451196486230.jpg
    1451196486230.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom