About to get 55g from relative, how to transfer filter media and clean tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a 55g tank from a relative and I don't want to take any risks due to 1 fish possibly having some kind of parasite/worm, so I want to clean out the tank to make sure there are no diseases or parasites that will be passed onto my fish. So here are the questions that I've come across:

1. How can I clean this 55g properly and kill all parasites without the use of harsh chemicals that could linger later on and get into my water? Or are chemicals the only effective way?

2. The 55g has 2 HOB filters and I have 1 Eclipse 3 hood filter on my 29g. My filter cartridge is long and rectangular; whereas the 55g's filter cartridge is a square. I want to use my filter cartridge as a seed media to cycle the new tank, but how can I transfer my filter over since my cartridge is too long? Should I just place it on the bottom of the tank?

3. I just now placed 2 extra filter cartridges (both rectangular as well) in my 29g to soak up some beneficial bacteria before I pick up the 55g in 3-4 days and set it up in my home. Is that enough time for the 2 extras to soak up enough beneficial bacteria to put in the 55g? Or should I use my main filter cartridge in the 55g and use the 2 extras in my 29g? Because of course I need my current fish to stay in my 29g until the 55g is cycled properly. I put 1 extra cartridge under my main one and the other extra piece I just placed on the bottom of the tank with a rock holding it down, all to soak up as much beneficial bacteria as possible in 3-4 days.

4. How should I cycle the new 55g? After I place my 29g's filter media into the tank, do I need to add ammonia and all that again until the ammonia and nitrite converts within 24 hours?

I'll have to drain the tank and stuff on Saturday and clean it, then will probably set it up on Sunday. Thanks to everyone who has the time to answer these questions!

I'm getting a 55g tank from a relative and I don't want to take any risks due to 1 fish possibly having some kind of parasite/worm, so I want to clean out the tank to make sure there are no diseases or parasites that will be passed onto my fish. So here are the questions that I've come across:

1. How can I clean this 55g properly and kill all parasites without the use of harsh chemicals that could linger later on and get into my water? Or are chemicals the only effective way?

2. The 55g has 2 HOB filters and I have 1 Eclipse 3 hood filter on my 29g. My filter cartridge is long and rectangular; whereas the 55g's filter cartridge is a square. I want to use my filter cartridge as a seed media to cycle the new tank, but how can I transfer my filter over since my cartridge is too long? Should I just place it on the bottom of the tank?

3. I just now placed 2 extra filter cartridges (both rectangular as well) in my 29g to soak up some beneficial bacteria before I pick up the 55g in 3-4 days and set it up in my home. Is that enough time for the 2 extras to soak up enough beneficial bacteria to put in the 55g? Or should I use my main filter cartridge in the 55g and use the 2 extras in my 29g? Because of course I need my current fish to stay in my 29g until the 55g is cycled properly. I put 1 extra cartridge under my main one and the other extra piece I just placed on the bottom of the tank with a rock holding it down, all to soak up as much beneficial bacteria as possible in 3-4 days.

4. How should I cycle the new 55g? After I place my 29g's filter media into the tank, do I need to add ammonia and all that again until the ammonia and nitrite converts within 24 hours?

I'll have to drain the tank and stuff on Saturday and clean it, then will probably set it up on Sunday. Thanks to everyone who has the time to answer these questions!

I'm new to this as well. But from what I've read so far is

1 - The best way to clean the tank is with water. Other option is vinegar. But make sure you wipe the tank super clean afterwards with just water.

2 - I think the best solution is to put the media filter in with one of your filters. Fold it if you can. (Not sure if you want to cut it since some of the media me filter into the tank).

3 - The 3-4 days probably isn't long enough for it to mature. I'm sure it will be beneficial regardless. The longer the better.

4 - I'm probably the least qualified to answer this. But I'll try my best. Someone will chime in and correct me if I am wrong. Pretty sure you'll have to add ammonia to the tank and test with the API Master test kit to ensure all levels have reached the appropriate level for the fish.

I've read threads all over this forum until my eyes are crossed. The information here is above and beyond what you'll find on the internet. I actually phrase all of my aquarium, fish searches on google by addeding "aquariumadvice" to it so I get information from this forum.

Hopefully I've been somewhat helpful. Good look and keep us informed on how it goes!

If you are concerned with pathogens, I'd sterilize the tank. I use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (mix by spraying each on so it mixes on the surface -- doesn't matter which one goes first) to sterilize the hard surfaces in the kitchen and bathrooms. No reason you couldn't use it on an aquarium. Rinse well afterward. Gravel and rock can be cleaned with hot water. I rinse first and then put them in a bucket with hot tap water. Add boiling water to get the temp up there. You want it HOT. Then just leave it to cool. Decorations and anything that is gunked with algae, use plain old bleach. Rinse, rinse, rinse.

I'd use the dirty cartridge from the 29. That tank has bacteria everywhere, not just the filter. It will be fine getting a fresh cartridge. Feed the empty tank's transplanted bacteria with some ammonia so they'll populate the tank. Now, if you are intending to move all of the fish in the 29 to the 55, you could simply move fish, filter, gravel, and decorations over and just not add any new fish right away. There likely won't be enough lost on the glass to cause even a mini cycle. I moved my fish this way and it is, hands down, the simplest solution. I waited a week before adding any fish so I could be sure the bacteria were doing their job. I then added a few at a time with at least a week between. It worked. I haven't removed the old filter media because I intend to restart the small tank eventually but when I do, I'll treat it aa a fish addition if I'm still stocking.

Back
Top Bottom