AC 50 Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deacon22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I returned home to find my ADF's whole entire body stuck to the filter.

I shut the filter off, and he swam away. I hope he is ok.

My question is filter flow. Should I have the flow set to the highest or the lowest? What is the benefit or detriment to either?

Thanks

Also, I previous had the extension intake tube that came down to half the tank. I took it off. Does it matter now that the filter tube only reaches the top 25% of the tank?

That same thing happened to be 2 nights ago, but with a puffer. I unplugged it until I can get my hands on a cone guard. I never realized the suction that those things draw.

Try putting a sponge pad or something over the intake to cut the suction and protect the frog. These work well as they already have a hole in the middle; PetSmart or PetCo should have them if you have one near you. What size tank is this? An AC 50 is pretty powerful if it's a small tank.

It's a 20 gallon tank. I turned the flow down all the way and I took the extension tube off. Only problem is now the tube only goes down the first 25% of the tank. But looks like the guys are staying away from the filter.

Aquaclear filter foam blocks work amazing for prefilters and only cost $3 for a box, I've used them on all my small filters in my fry tanks. Cut to size, cut a hole in the middle then put them over your intake tube and this problem is solved I promise. This works so well I've seen one day old fry able to touch the foam with the filter on high and swim away no problem

It's a 20 gallon tank. I turned the flow down all the way and I took the extension tube off. Only problem is now the tube only goes down the first 25% of the tank. But looks like the guys are staying away from the filter.

I'd say put the extension tube back on so it's pulling in water from like the middle section. A 50 at full in a twenty's a lot of flow, but keeping the flow down should do the trick. You can buy a fluval edge prefilter foam that'll fit perfectly over the intake.

Aquaclear filter foam blocks work amazing for prefilters and only cost $3 for a box, I've used them on all my small filters in my fry tanks. Cut to size, cut a hole in the middle then put them over your intake tube and this problem is solved I promise. This works so well I've seen one day old fry able to touch the foam with the filter on high and swim away no problem

I went and bought the filter foam and started to cut the sponge. Then I had a s silly question. If I put the filter foam over the intake tube, wouldn't that stop some of the gunk from entering and getting caught inside the filter?

Idk, I went and got a couple cone filters for the bottoms of both my power heads. They are seeming to work pretty good. I have anywhere thread "puffer help" and there's a picture of what they look like.

OK, the AC 50 adapter has a cone filter on it. That's what my little guy got stuck on. =)

I put the sponge on. I'm thinking I am going to just take the sponge off and lower the flow.

I went and bought the filter foam and started to cut the sponge. Then I had a s silly question. If I put the filter foam over the intake tube, wouldn't that stop some of the gunk from entering and getting caught inside the filter?

Oh don't worry enough gunk will make its way into the filter. What you'll find is the foam will get absolutely dirty. I had a fluval edge per-filter foam on my
AC-70 and it was filthy after a week. If you notice the flow of your 50 slow, the foam needs a good wringing with tank water. I also had one in my shrimp tank and after two weeks that was filthy.

If it gets gunk in it just rinse it in old tank water during your water changes. It is actually a good thing to see your prefilter brown, means extra BB are in it

Back
Top Bottom