Accidental fish in cycle..now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryon12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im new to fish as a pet and also this website.. i hope i posted in the correct section.
I blindly purchased a 30 gal tank..filled it with a couple inches of gravel, and put a few artificial plants and rocks here and there..i have read aboutt cycling but at the pet store they told me dont worry about that as long as i have tap water dechlorinator i should be fine..so after letting the tank run a few days, i added two catfish and two rainbow sharks..exactly six days later both catfish died at the sametime and the next day both sharks died at the same time..as i was removing them i disturbed the gravel a bit and the water got foggy with food and waste..so looks like i did a fish in cycle..all my fish died and i would like to fix and repopulate the tank..what exactly do i need to do? Buy gravel cleaner and some small fish like bettas?

Gravel cleaner for sure. I don't think the catfish deaths were you fault. Where did you buy them from? And the first few days you don't have to feed you fish because they won't eat until they're comfortable in their new home

Thanks for the reply!
I bought these fish at a PetSmart..
I been reading a bit more i think i need a master test kit?? And start a fishless cycle..but what do i do with the waste alread in the tank do i just clean the whole thing with a gravel cleaner or what??

Hi im new to fish as a pet and also this website.. i hope i posted in the correct section.
I blindly purchased a 30 gal tank..filled it with a couple inches of gravel, and put a few artificial plants and rocks here and there..i have read aboutt cycling but at the pet store they told me dont worry about that as long as i have tap water dechlorinator i should be fine..so after letting the tank run a few days, i added two catfish and two rainbow sharks..exactly six days later both catfish died at the sametime and the next day both sharks died at the same time..as i was removing them i disturbed the gravel a bit and the water got foggy with food and waste..so looks like i did a fish in cycle..all my fish died and i would like to fix and repopulate the tank..what exactly do i need to do? Buy gravel cleaner and some small fish like bettas?

I'm not expert in freshwater but you never mentioned bout filter system and test kits you are using, IMO it's basic stuff it'll tell you exactly what's wrong with your tank. Get sort of API test kit not test strips, bit expensive but worth in long run. And lastly never over feed them I know every time you go close to the tank look like they are begging for food, but feed them once a day or every other day.

I havent used any test strips..im not home at the moment but im using a medium sized filter system for a 30 gal tank...so your saying its ok to add fish again just dont over feed and check water ph levels with an api kit right?

I havent used any test strips..im not home at the moment but im using a medium sized filter system for a 30 gal tank...so your saying its ok to add fish again just dont over feed and check water ph levels with an api kit right?

I had FW tank 4yrs back for sort period and added fish straight away but kept water in very good condition so I never lost fish, but it was hard work bcos to keep ammonia, nitrite and nitrate under control I had to clean the filter every week and fed them only what they can eat in min, In real world fish pick food all day, and if you feed them all day they'll eat and poop matter of min non stop, so it's never ending story, if you got spare cash go for skimmer I would highly recommend it doesn't matter it's SW or FW tank, it does the job of skimming excess nutrition and waste, hope this help

Test it before you add fish. Get the parameters right, and then add them. Yes buy a test kit. I recommend API master test kits. I would do a large if not complete water change because I suspect your fish had some disease. Unless your water was really bad, they shouldn't have died that soon. If there are any local fish stores around you, you should buy fish from them.

Ok so ill purchase an api test kit first thing..and continue the cycle with a fishless cycle since there is already food and waste in there that means ammonia and nitirites should be present and ill just keep doing water changes until the ammonia and nitrites equal 0..is that correct?

Ok so ill purchase an api test kit first thing..and continue the cycle with a fishless cycle since there is already food and waste in there that means ammonia and nitirites should be present and ill just keep doing water changes until the ammonia and nitrites equal 0..is that correct?

Yes, once you are cycled with a fishless cycle your parameters should be 0ammonia 0nitrite and you will have some nitrates, at the end of the cycle they will be high and you will have to do a big water change to get them down, then its safe to add fish. You have to have an ammonia source till then to feed the beneficial bacteria and dot change your filter pads till they are falling apart then when you do stick the new pad in the tank for a couple days to seed it with the bacteria.

Thanks for the help also i seen a bottle instore called +ammonia or something like that is that ok to use as pure ammonia? Not sure if there the same thinf

Thanks for the help also i seen a bottle instore called +ammonia or something like that is that ok to use as pure ammonia? Not sure if there the same thinf

You need pure ammonia because alot of ammonia has soap and fragrances added. Local to me its at ace hardware and is 'janitorial strength ammonia' if you shake the bottle and there are ANY bubbles don't use it.

Also, the bottles will usually say its 10% diluted ammonia, that's okay. I was thrown off when looking for mine because I had read 100% ammonia but the bottle is a diluted solution, that's okay

Thanks i actually just finished reading those..but they arent tailored to my situation but inguess can still work. My problem just was i already had fish in the tank previously and the tank has food and waste already in the gravel..just wanted to know if i can continue like that and do a fishless cycle or do i just clean the tank change gravel and continue that way?

Thanks i actually just finished reading those..but they arent tailored to my situation but inguess can still work. My problem just was i already had fish in the tank previously and the tank has food and waste already in the gravel..just wanted to know if i can continue like that and do a fishless cycle or do i just clean the tank change gravel and continue that way?

You could leave it in while you fishless cycle but once your fishless cycle is complete you want to vacuum it out before you add new fish anyway. So either way at some point you want to remove it.

You can use fish food or shrimp rotting in your tank to cycle instead of ammonia alot of people do this instead if ammonia. You would just new the API master test kit to keep track of your levels. Are you wanting to cycle it fish-in or fish-out? It sounds like fish out but I'm just making sure.

Clean the gravel and then empty the tank. And then I'd start all over again. Just use a gravel vacuum before you empty the tank. Then siphon the rest out. You wouldn't normally have to do this.. But I think your fish had disease. And you wouldn't want to infect your new fish

Hey teakwood im going to do a fishless cycle..im going to do what curveball said and pretty much do a complete water change and i have bags of gravel so i can completely dispose of the gravel in tank and start again with the same filter..just going to get an api kit and if i cant find ammonia ill try the shrimp..

good idea, no matter how much the pet store people try to rip you off, cycling IS necessary. fishless cycles are a good choice, (y) that is what I am doing.

Yes, once you are cycled with a fishless cycle your parameters should be 0ammonia 0nitrite and you will have some nitrates, at the end of the cycle they will be high and you will have to do a big water change to get them down, then its safe to add fish. You have to have an ammonia source till then to feed the beneficial bacteria and dot change your filter pads till they are falling apart then when you do stick the new pad in the tank for a couple days to seed it with the bacteria.

Yea sorry mate need to finish cycle its sad that you would ask about cycling and they would say u dont need to all tanks need to be cycled. and it should be in there duty of care to pass info like this on

I am sorry about the fish loss, but I do have to say they probably died from ammonia poisoning from an uncycled tank..

You will need to completely clean the gravel, filter, and decor and just start over and do a fishless cycle.

Go to an ace hardware, and buy some janitorial strength ammonia and put some in. After you get you API Master Liquid Freshwater Test Kit. Dose ammonia up to 2-4 ppm but no higher or lower.

There are some fishless cycling stickies on here, and I really want you to read them. Look up the nitrogen cycle on google, and fort (a mod on here) has a great vid on youtube on cycling too.

The pet store people don't even know what cycling is most of the time, and they will sell you a betta to put in a bowl, and an oscar for a 5 gal tank. 99% of them don't know a thing.

I would like to know what kind of equipment you have, like filter(s) heater(s) gravel vacuum, etc.

AFTER you cycle the tank and get it nice and stable, you can add a few small fish, but you still need to test everyday to make sure it is stable.

If you have anymore questions please ask!

Back
Top Bottom