Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andybarron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i am thinking about getting a fish box 60cm by interpet and before i get it all sorted i was wondering if anyone could suggest the type of fish i should get. This will be my first tank and im looking for some advice!

Thanks!

Just did a little number crunching, and it looks like that is 18.8 U.S. gallons. That is a good size to start out with as most people getting into the hobby start with much smaller tanks and are discouraged because they cannot get the fish they wanted. This tank can accomodate many different combinations
of fish, but here are a few off the top of my head.

Stocking 1: 1 Dwarf Gourami, 12 smaller Tetras (Glowlight, Neon, etc.), 5 Bottom Feeders (Kuhli Loaches, Ghost Shrimp, Smaller Cory Cats)

Stocking 2: 3 Guppies (all males), 2 German Blue Rams, 8 smaller tetras

Like I said, there are various possibilites so these are just two out of hundreds of other options you have.

Andybarron said:
I do like the look of the dwarf gouramis and the rams would it be possible to have them in with a few tetras or is that a silly question?

Yeah u could put them together they would be fine

Cool thanks mate! I have read about that, im not planning on getting the tank untill christmas time so just trying to get as much info as possible!

Kudos to you for doing your research PRIOR to purchase! You're my new BFF!!!! :brows:

Welcome to the forum!

Well I did plenty of research too to be quite fair, however you lot weren't convinced. Not my fault that I mislaid trust is it?

Kudos to you for doing your research PRIOR to purchase! You're my new BFF!!!! :brows:

Welcome to the forum!
Amen to that! :flowers:
In a tank that size, I think you would fine to get a pair of rams, a dg, and school of small tetras. I like ember tetras personally. They are bright colored and a healthier species than the neon tetra. There are also celestial pearl danios and chili rasbora. Another choice is a get a few Endler's livebearers instead of a tetra. I would get all males because that tank is kind of small for fry. They also are not a true schooler, so you don't need as many of them. Other schooling species should be kept in groups of 6 at least. Also, you could get a couple of otocinclus cats, or some nerite snails to eat algae and be cute. :)
A different route would be guppies or platys, or a small species of killifish.

you might consider getting a LONG tank
20G LONG is a great size
you also want a NICE filter, makes life easier

Granted, a 20 long would mean a little more room for the fish to spread out horizontally, I think you would be fine with what you mentioned. A Dwarf Gouramis, a pair of German Blues, and a school of tetras would be a nice stocking.

Back
Top Bottom