Algae and UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ359

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have set up a 37 gallon tank. Cycled, fish are good and appear healthy. But there is a green tinge to the water (I assume Algae).I have a plaeco and 4 platys. I plan to add school of 8 tetra. My questions are:

1) Will adding a UV sterilizer get rid of the Algae without hurting the fish and good filter bacteria?
2) What is a good UV sterilizer to get?

I have an Aquaclear 70 HOB filter.

thanks

Hi. It's free floating algae, making the green tinge, a uv will definitely sort your problem, however so will cutting the amount of natural/artificial light it receives. I couldn't move mine any further from my window so I use a fish r fun internal uv steriliser, or the green killing machine. I would recommend this to anyone as its quite cheap, easy to use, works like a dream (water will be crystal clear in under a week) and its also removable if you want to move it round tanks or take it our when your green problem is sorted. This would be the best option as you have a hob, if you were running a canister then nothing beats vectron.

Thanks, will killing the algae hurt the pleco by removing it's food source? Anything negative to the UV? I assume it leaves the good bacteria alone.

It only kills the free floating bacteria so your fish will be fine and your bb will be fine also. Other algae will still appear, uv will only kill free floating algae in the water column so algae on the substrate, and decor will still be there for mr pleco. This will only take care of your green water issue, if you have other algae it will remain unaffected. My fish and plants have never suffered because of mine nor has my hair algae, but my mr pleco loves it and does a great job assisting the uv, snails and shrimp in cleaning up.

Back
Top Bottom