Aqua Clear Media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I know that carbon isnt really all that necessary in a filter. I have an Aqua Clear 70 running in my 46 gallon tank that is heavily planted and I am pretty much done stocking it... Just have to fill out my school of glowlight tetras.

Anyways... Currently, I have 1 BioMax, 1 Carbon, and 1 Sponge. I want to replace the carbon... My question is...

Should I add another sponge, or should I add another biomax?

Sponge is better choice. It still carries BB and it mechanically filters. 2 in 1!

AquaClear Filter Media

So, I know that carbon isnt really all that necessary in a filter. I have an Aqua Clear 70 running in my 46 gallon tank that is heavily planted and I am pretty much done stocking it... Just have to fill out my school of glowlight tetras.

Anyways... Currently, I have 1 BioMax, 1 Carbon, and 1 Sponge. I want to replace the carbon... My question is...

Should I add another sponge, or should I add another biomax?

Hello Tal...

Carbon is a an effective media, it absorbs harmful chemicals in the water. But, by changing half the water in your tank every week, you really don't need it.

The sponge is just average as a water filter and a home for benefical bacteria. Polyfiber pads do a much better job of both. I'd recommend using a fiber pad in place of the carbon (chemical) media.

Just one old "water keeper's" opinion.

B

Thanks guys. I thought that was what I remembered seeing people do most...

I usually do about a 50% water change every 7 to 10 days. Any longer than that, and I usually up it to a 75%.

Hello Tal...

Carbon is a an effective media, it absorbs harmful chemicals in the water. But, by changing half the water in your tank every week, you really don't need it.

The sponge is just average as a water filter and a home for benefical bacteria. Polyfiber pads do a much better job of both. I'd recommend using a fiber pad in place of the carbon (chemical) media.

Just one old "water keeper's" opinion.

B

What about using filter floss instead of fiber pads? Will that work?

What about using filter floss instead of fiber pads? Will that work?

Hello...

The key is the density of the material. If the floss is dense, similar to a filter pad, then it should do the job. The polyfiber is dense pad similar to a standard kitchen sponge and will trap tiny particles of fish and plant waste and keep the water clear, and somewhat clean, but shouldn't be used in place of large, frequent water changes.

B

Back
Top Bottom