Aren't Rocks....Just Rocks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps I can help shed some light ... I teach Earth Science and how tough sandstone (SS) depends on how it was lithified or formed. SS is a clastic sedimentary rock that forms by compaction and cementation of sand sediments. Better lithified SS will be tougher and more resistant to weathering. Most of the US west of Hudson millions of years go used to be a shallow sea, including CO, thus that SS is old and tough.

Ideally you want SS of Quartz (silica) sand held together by a silica matrix which is the "cement" holding the sand together. Weaker SS will literally start to come apart after exposure to the elements.

Perhaps I can help shed some light ... I teach Earth Science and how tough sandstone (SS) depends on how it was lithified or formed. SS is a clastic sedimentary rock that forms by compaction and cementation of sand sediments. Better lithified SS will be tougher and more resistant to weathering. Most of the US west of Hudson millions of years go used to be a shallow sea, including CO, thus that SS is old and tough.

Ideally you want SS of Quartz (silica) sand held together by a silica matrix which is the "cement" holding the sand together. Weaker SS will literally start to come apart after exposure to the elements.

Verrrrrry interesting. Thanks for that!!

Verrrrrry interesting. Thanks for that!!

Your welcome ... At least you sounded more enthused than some of my students:D It's funny actually, as an Earth Science teacher ... the title of the thread almost knocked me of my chair:eek:

Your welcome ... At least you sounded more enthused than some of my students:D It's funny actually, as an Earth Science teacher ... the title of the thread almost knocked me of my chair:eek:

LOL! Well, I'm a total science geek. I majored in biology before deciding on architecture...I mean, can the two be any different LOL! But, believe it or not, architecture can be scientific...I get excited when I get to research new products ...yeah. Big dork. :D My husband is the exact same way...watch out at the dinner table. It can be quite the yawn fest to most people.

LOL! Well, I'm a total science geek. I majored in biology before deciding on architecture...

Well then you'd be perfect for designing buildings using Limestone!:lol: What a great way to combine the biology of how Limestone forms and how to apply it to a building(y)

Don't feel so bad ... I don't even discuss science at our dinner table. If I do, I lose my wife instantly:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom