Aren't Rocks....Just Rocks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I'm still doing research and trying to plan out a new tank. I have nothing purchased yet, but am getting closer. Been thinking about rocks, gravel, sand....you know, the stuff on the bottom. Today while I was at a lfs I looked at the stuff, and WOW, expensive! What makes "aquarium" rocks special? Anything? :confused:

Can I use rocks from like a landscaping place? I've heard that rocks from a landscaping place will screw up my water as they will leach minerals and stuff....well what makes aquarium rocks not do that? I am just confused. Can someone explain?

Also, if I am thinking smaller fish like Tetra and Platys is there a type or size rocks to look for?

By aquarium rocks, are you referring to "live rocks" or just what is sold on the shelves of fish stores? As far as I know there is no such thing as LR for freshwater (I could definitely be wrong), and you're right that a rock used for landscaping would leech compounds into your water you probably wouldn't want in there. What, specifically are you considering purchasing and from where?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

After re-reading your post (sorry, it's 2am my time) I think you're talking about the substrate (floor of the aquarium). I've never researched the details of aquarium gravel, but I assume it's sanitized so it doesn't bring any nasties into your tank and is treated so it doesn't dissolve minerals/metals into your water and obviously colored to look pretty in your tank. If you're concerned with price, you should shop around online to try to find a deal. I would recommend against using anything from a landscaping company or anything that's from outside for that matter, because whatever has been on that rock (parasites, algae, etc...) you are instantly putting into your tank.

No, not live rocks, just the gravel rocks from a pet store. The stuff in bags on the shelf. I guess I don't understand what makes them not leach minerals and stuff into the water, but if I get rock from a landscaper I'm told it does.

I would also STRONGLY suggest you research "fishless cycling" on this site before you buy any fish. Cycling is the single most important part of starting a new aquarium, and without doing it properly, the fish in the tank are virtually always killed or permanently damaged. Google "tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle.". You'll learn everything you ever need to know and it'll teach you about the nitrogen cycle which is crucial if you're going to have fish.

You're already doing the right thing by asking questions here. If there is one rule to follow...it's to never trust the people at the fish store. They want to put money in their pockets, we want to make sure you have happy, healthy fish :).

You are right that aquarium gravel is overpriced(like most things in this hobby :p). A good cheap substitute is pool filter sand which can be had at home depot or lowes for about $4 for I think 50 lbs. It works great and will not leach anything into the water. Quite a few people use it with success.

You can use landscape rocks just test it put some vinegar on it. if it bubbles or fizz then it's no good. And make sure you rinse everything before you put in your tank. I've used landscape rocks to create caves and stuff all good. Some rocks may change your ph. So it always safe to test. You can even put it in a bucket test. It for a week of so and see if anything changes.

I'd still recommend using rocks intended for an aquarium or the pool filter sand. It's just a better idea, IMO, to ensure you're not going to run into problems in the future...especially depending on the level of experience you have with aquariums.

I would use gravel from the lfs also but for decorative rocks I don't see why u can't use real rocks as long as u rinse them off well. In nature fish swim around all kinds of rocks so why can't they in your tank? Just a thought ;) but yes some rocks can change your ph so be aware of that

Kat1103 said:
I would use gravel from the lfs also but for decorative rocks I don't see why u can't use real rocks as long as u rinse them off well. In nature fish swim around all kinds of rocks so why can't they in your tank? Just a thought ;) but yes some rocks can change your ph so be aware of that

Just my opinion, but natural habitats aren't enclosed ecosystems like an aquarium. In the wild there are hundreds of thousands of gallons of water that are flowing and changing. An aquarium is a small, contained environment where any type of infection, parasite, disease, fungus, algae are tossed into this small tank and can rapidly effect all sorts of parameters. I'm not saying you can't use natural products (lots of people use driftwood which can effect pH) I just got the impression that the OP does not have a lot of fish keeping experience (I could be wrong) and it's better to err on the side of caution and use what you know is safe.

Your correct eco23, zero fish keeping experience here, that's why I'm asking the questions.I usaually do err on the side of caution, but I also try to not get suckered into stuff, and rocks in a bag at a fish shop seemed like a gimmick to me, but maybe not.

eco23 said:
Just my opinion, but natural habitats aren't enclosed ecosystems like an aquarium. In the wild there are hundreds of thousands of gallons of water that are flowing and changing. An aquarium is a small, contained environment where any type of infection, parasite, disease, fungus, algae are tossed into this small tank and can rapidly effect all sorts of parameters. I'm not saying you can't use natural products (lots of people use driftwood which can effect pH) I just got the impression that the OP does not have a lot of fish keeping experience (I could be wrong) and it's better to err on the side of caution and use what you know is safe.

Yes you are right about the Eco system. However you can use many different stuff hat is not from your LFS. Many people use pool filter sand. Play sand( in my tank now) garden gravel from home depot.etc. Right nowi have 20-30 pancake stones in my tank that I got at a garden center as long as you test them you will be fine. It is not a problem. I personally don't do wild driftwood because wood absorbs water and their could be parasites in the wood so I wouldn't recommend wood. As for stones not a problem. What you are looking for are non calcium rocks.

RooRoo said:
Your correct eco23, zero fish keeping experience here, that's why I'm asking the questions.I usaually do err on the side of caution, but I also try to not get suckered into stuff, and rocks in a bag at a fish shop seemed like a gimmick to me, but maybe not.

I'm glad you're asking questions. For your first tank I'd just go with things designed for an aquarium. As you get more get more experienced it fun to try out new things and experiment, I just wouldnt jump in too deep to start. And remember to fishless cycle! It's really easy, fast and good for your fish.

I wouldn't use any sand that is too fine, There can be problems with that. If you go with sand, stick with the coarser grades. If you go with gravel, get the rounded gravel anywhere from .5mm-5mm in diameter.

You can use rocks from the landscaping in your tank, just make sure that they are the right ones. The vinegar test is a good one to find reactive works like limestone, or ones that contain calcites. Sandstone, granite, scoria, slate are all good, and common, choices. Avoid shale or other soft rocks. LFS usually sell slate or scoria for aquariums.

Once you have chosen your rocks from outside, make sure that you subject them to a good rolling boil in water for about 20 minutes. Make sure that they are completely submerged. This should kill any parasites, germs or other nasties that would like to invade your tank.

Last edited:
Loach23 said:
You should never boil rock if it's the wrong rock it can explode. DO NOT BOIL ROCKS

I'm interested in your comments Loach, can you be more specific here, sounds that could be dangerous, maybe makes sense to expand the topic a little more.......

Regardless of what it is made of or the type, if there is any water in the rock it can explode and destroy your kitchen or even worse, YOU!

Back
Top Bottom