back again :) question about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cberchiolli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey there,

Just got home and tested my water again.. ph tested 7.6 ( louisvilles water is very acidic), ammonia tested 0 ppm and my nitrite tested 1 ppm i think.. kinda hard to tell. its going on week three of the cycle. I have three zebra danios and three bala sharks.. i also have several planted live plants.. i just did a 25 % water change. I have been feeding 2-3 times a day . diet consisting of dried shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and normal flakes. i have been feeding the plant a plantfood weekly as well.. any advice on anything else i should be doing? i have the light on an eight hour timer for now as well. when do you think it will be okay to add two angels? any advice helps.. thank again

im just starting out, but feeding 2-3 times a day seems crazy to me. but i dont know anything about what fish you have so you may be doing it right.

cberchiolli said:
hey there,

Just got home and tested my water again.. ph tested 7.6 ( louisvilles water is very acidic), ammonia tested 0 ppm and my nitrite tested 1 ppm i think.. kinda hard to tell. its going on week three of the cycle. I have three zebra danios and three bala sharks.. i also have several planted live plants.. i just did a 25 % water change. I have been feeding 2-3 times a day . diet consisting of dried shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and normal flakes. i have been feeding the plant a plantfood weekly as well.. any advice on anything else i should be doing? i have the light on an eight hour timer for now as well. when do you think it will be okay to add two angels? any advice helps.. thank again

What are your nitrAtes (no3) reading at? Without no3, I'd say you're not done cycling. Also, feeding 2X a day should be enough.

Are you sure the balas and angels will get along? I have neither, but have read here that both can be territorial.

Sent from my Epic 4G

honestly havent gotten a nitrate tester yet.. will probably get one this week.. i heard they are compatible as long as the angels are young when you get them. ima triple check before i buy them.. yea the balas are getting pretty big considering the size when i bought them.. def look healthy. im going to pull back on the amount of food until the cycling is complete... should i up the amount of light for the plants once the cycling is done? also is aluminum or stainless steel okay to put in a tank?

cberchiolli said:
honestly havent gotten a nitrate tester yet.. will probably get one this week.. i heard they are compatible as long as the angels are young when you get them. ima triple check before i buy them.. yea the balas are getting pretty big considering the size when i bought them.. def look healthy. im going to pull back on the amount of food until the cycling is complete... should i up the amount of light for the plants once the cycling is done? also is aluminum or stainless steel okay to put in a tank?

You should test no3 and if you have 10 - 30 ppm then you should be cycled. Good that you checked compatibility ahead of time and plants should have 8 - 12 hrs of light per day.

As for the alum & SS, I don't know but google it and see if info pops up. My best guess is no, just because you never see any standard aquarium stuff made of it. What whould you be using it for?

Sent from my Epic 4G

Yes go ahead and test for nitrates, but you will be cycled once you have 0 ammonia ( which is what you are reading), and also 0 nitrites ( you are not sure yet), and finally nitrates maybe 10 to 30 ppm.

Again, looks like you tank is close to finally cycle, don't get desperate, your are in the last leg, my suggestion is to add more fish once you confirm that your tank is cycled. Remember also to add slowly to avoid a seat back in the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom