Beginner stock opinion/help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chunk12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im starting a new aquarium. I have done plenty of research on filters, heaters, lighting, cycling etc. during my research a read a guys idea on wat he is stocking his 29 gal tank with. Which is the tank I will be stocking.

6 neon tetras
6 zebra danios
1 koi swordtail
3 gold dust mollies
3 panda Cory
1 betta
2 cherry shrimp
2 ghost shrimp
3 nerite snails

I'm looking for opinions/advice based on that list. What extra precautions should I take regarding the betta and also what decor should I use to suit this diverse tank. Please help

Have you checked out aqadvisor yet? It's a great tool that will tell you if you've over stocked or not (can be a bit conservative) and will let you know of possible problems between the fish and other inhabitants of the tank :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Were you have a wide variety of fish I would also suggest a fair amount of decorations for fish to hide and break up the line of sight in your tank. It's a great preemptive strike against aggression in your tank

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I plugged all the info in. It gave me tips on the certain fish and I changed a few options and got a nice stock. Right at fully stocked. On the decoration topic though, what substrate should I use? And should it be a rocky type decoration or plant like? I'm not sure if any of those fish would have a problem nipping at stuff. Not a lot of experience on my end honestly

I plugged all the info in. It gave me tips on the certain fish and I changed a few options and got a nice stock. Right at fully stocked. On the decoration topic though, what substrate should I use? And should it be a rocky type decoration or plant like? I'm not sure if any of those fish would have a problem nipping at stuff. Not a lot of experience on my end honestly

You can really use anything you want. Sand is popular but gravel works as well for substrate.

You can pile rocks together and make caves or you can have a lot of plants that gives cover. Driftwood also works well to break up the monotony. Or you could do all 3. Just have fun with it :D

Example of a rock based display with african cichlids.
75748-albums12252-picture56203.jpg

I would suggest to remove the betta from your list .They just keep on chasing and bullying other fishes .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Two things. It's almost always a mistake to get one single fish. Most fish are social and live in groups and will be happier and healthier that way. Second, you are mixing fish that prefer hard water with those that prefer soft water. Not a good idea.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Two things. It's almost always a mistake to get one single fish. Most fish are social and live in groups and will be happier and healthier that way. Second, you are mixing fish that prefer hard water with those that prefer soft water. Not a good idea.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

I agree with the first statement but not the 2nd. All of those are common, captive-raised aquarium fish that are quite adaptable to water quality. Neutral ground water quality (moderate pH and hardness) should be fine for all of them.

Back
Top Bottom