Best aquatic pet for office cube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicagray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm a beginner and I have some questions!

A worker of mine just bought a betta fish in a small fish bowl to keep on her desk at work. It's pretty cute, and of course now I want one, but I've been doing some research and it looks like that any fish will need atleast 2 gallons for them to live humanely, and I think 2 gallons may be too big for my desk. Is this true? Are there any possible alternatives? I checked out the store today and saw a 1 gallon tank that could fit on my desk. I also saw some snails. Could I put a betta in the 1 gallon with a snail for company? Would that be enough room? What about just having only snails in there as pets, like 2 or so? How much water do snails need? I also saw some small water frogs there, too.

Basically the question is, what can I put in a 1 gallon tank that will be happy?

Welcome to AA Jessica.

IMO, I would get a 5 gal hex for a Betta and snails. They are not very big, foot print wise, and everything is enclosed in the top. If that is too big then a 2 gal vanity tank would be fine. I am just a fan of giving them more than they "need". If you wanted a small tank like a 1 gal, I'm afraid the only thing I would recommend would be some apple snails and some ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp don't live that long but they are cute to watch when you can find them. :)

Whatever you do, don't bring your coworkers betta to play with your betta. :)

i know your pain.. my wife wont let me put up any more tanks so I have to keep my betta in its tiny bowl until we have room etc... poor fish.. i didnt know you can put snails in with a betta.. i thought the betta would attack it..

These two I think are the best I've come across in my search:

http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_explorer.asp
2 Gallon

By the way, the 5g Hex is big-time on sale from petco.com
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...ID=12788&cm_re=june1051807-_-20dhex5-_-center

This tank is a little larger than a piece of regular white paper. I would say if you don't have enough room to put one of these, you probably should do without.

These would look great in an office - you'd really get to see a Betta's natural behaviour, rather than it just hovering or sitting there like it would in a bowl.

You'd still need a heater if the room got cooler than 74.

The chance of a Betta going after a snail is a reality, but it can be done. You just have to watch for the Betta to eat the snails feelers ;) The idea with any snail with any tank mate is if they stay in t heir shell all the time it won't work.

Also I am a apple snail lover and agree with many that apple snail needs at least 10gl to start. Not that each snail needs 10gl but start at 10gl and 1gl for each snail after that. I wouldnt suggest a apple snail in anything smaller because they can grow huge. Golfball sized is basic but they can get the size of an apple and do.

Back
Top Bottom