Betta fish fin issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevintoronto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I've got my Betta fish in a new tank. Having some cycling issues but working those out.
He seems to have developed a fungus on his front fin? Picture attached.
The fin is red underneath but I don't know if that is natural colour or suggests an underlying bacterial infection.
Advice appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_143153.jpg
    IMG_20200606_143153.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 28
Hard to see anything in that picture. Would it be possible to get a clearer/closeup one? By "front fins", do you mean the ventral fins? These are often naturally red or with a tinge of white, it's nothing to worry about unless you can see that there's something physically growing on them, or they look torn/bunched up or start receding. Cycling a tank with a fish inside is very risky, and bettas - contrary to popular belief - are not THAT hardy (especially the long-finned varieties). You definitely should keep a close eye on him.

I agree with the previous post - it's difficult to say, from that photo. Some color change to fins is not abnormal, and red is typical as well.

Can you be more specific about what you mean, the tank is cycling? And what type of trouble you're having? How large is the tank and what is the cycling procedure you're using?

New photo

Thanks- sorry was hard to get a good photo.
He was kept in a .5 gallon "plastic container" when I got him and was anxious to give him a new home.
I fishless cycled adding ammonia until I had 0 ammonia. Nitrites then also came up to about 2, hovered at .25 for several days. When it hit zero I went for it and maybe should have held off a few more days?
Anyway I did a 50% water change and put him in. A couple of days later nitrites appeared so I've been using seachem prime and stability the past week.
I know it isn't ideal but I've gone back and forth if it would be better to move him back to the plastic box while sorting it out... But feel an unheated unfiltered box isn't a good direction to go if I can just get him through this.
Anyway with the larger tank and overhead light his colours have really come out so maybe the red ventral fin (pectoral fin maybe?) Is normal colouration. But the fuzz over the middle of it is new today. Also it is folded back unlike the other one so maybe he injured it.

Open to advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_210529.jpg
    IMG_20200606_210529.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 28
Better photos

Got a couple of better photos. Like cotton or fluff.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_212615.jpg
    IMG_20200606_212615.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200606_211617.jpg
    IMG_20200606_211617.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 22
I love seeing this level of thought and care.

It appears he also has some fin rot, as well as the white fuzz.

Instead of adding things to reduce the ammonia, I'd do more water changes.

I've had good luck with API Stress Coat, as a dechlorinator. I believe it has aloe, which is a genuine anti-inflammatory. There are some studies, I believe, about it helping heal fins. I credit it with turning around a few cases of fin rot in bettas.

One thing that got me, with bettas, was that while I was doing constant water changes, I was putting the fish through a lot of pH fluctuations. Because our water is extremely soft but has an additive to raise pH. So the pH would be high out of the tap, then rapidly drop. If you could have a fish store check your tap water for GH and PH that might provide some more knowledge. You could also check that the pH in the tank and the tap are the same.

How large is the tank he's in now? What is the temp? And what test kit are you using?

Tank

Thanks!
It's a 5 gallon tank now, and I'm using the API master test kit. Have had 0 ammonia for several weeks now. I briefly hit 0 nitrites last week, removed some water to add some amazon swords, and topped up the water. (I always treat the water with prime but will look into the alternative).
Next day, nitrites appeared again. Feels like every time I do any significant water change the nitrites appear again.
pH is solid 7.5 out of the tap and consistently thereafter. I picked up the API hardness kit as well - 5 for KH and 8 for GH. Still figuring out what to do with that information though.
I will look into the stress coat first thing in the morning.

I presume the white fuzz is fungal?

My experience: i was thinking my red betta was sick, with his tail kinda black, turning all dark by days going...i figured that he was genetic different and the "issue" that was a problem, turned down to be a secondary color (darkblue when in the dark and glitter blue when in light).
He was growing up when i bought him so sometimes, when u see a betta, i think of the big "leafy" tail and all, but there are a lot of body/color variations

IM NOT SAYING THATS THE CASE FOR YOU, JUST MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY BETTA

Yeah he definitely looks like he has fin rot and some fungal infection on top of that. You should get him some broad-spectrum medication that targets both fungi and bacteria, along with some aquarium salt and Indian Almond Leaves to help reduce stress. The leaves can (and should) be added directly to the tank, they are quite beneficial for bettas and won't mess with the cycle. And keep up the water changes, clean water is key.

Thanks - how quickly will the pH change when I put an almond leaf in? I have been stable at 7.5 and afraid that it would suddenly plunge into the 6's.?

Thanks - how quickly will the pH change when I put an almond leaf in? I have been stable at 7.5 and afraid that it would suddenly plunge into the 6's.?
That depends on the buffering capacity of your water (the lower the KH, the bigger the change will be), but one or even 2 leaves (depending on size) shouldn't have any significant impact. The tannins are released gradually, so the pH drop will also be gradual.

You can always test the water before and after if you're worried, but imo there's no reason for concern.

Oh, but I'm in.. Canada

and apparently in Canada, we have banned the sale of broad-spectrum antibiotic-like things for pets, I'd have to pack him up and take him to a vet.

Petsmart.com (US) lists lots of options, petsmart.ca (canada).. not so much.
Best I could find is API super ICK cure which contains a broad-spectrum antibiotic (nitrofurazone) and malachite green which is a decent antifungal. Somehow that must have snuck past the regulations. I'm going to try to pick some up today.

Nitrites at 2 this morning so I did 2 x 25% water changes back to back. re-dosed prime and added salt.
And somewhere in his franticness over the water change he broke his infected pectoral fin off :( There is still half a fin there, hopefully it regrows. It was the one that was hanging limply behind him as he swam so I think it was broken or injured for some time.
And there is a (smaller) fungal growth on the other pectoral fin, I'm hoping the salt will help. Otherwise I get the super ICK cure today and try that.

Indian Almond leaves on order, will take a day or two to get here.
Thanks for all your help everyone.
I write this mostly to vent. Feels like every time I do a water change something bad happens! Nitrites go up, fins break. Gaah.

Back
Top Bottom