Betta sorority...NEED INPUT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just purchased 4 female bettas for my 10 gal planted, 2 veil tail and 2 crowntail.

How should I go about doing this? I really want it to work out :)

I know people add them all at once, but the most important would be to acclimate them properly and monitor them very closely. You can use dividers temporarily if you wish. Watch them as long as possible for the first week or 2.

I know people add them all at once, but the most important would be to acclimate them properly and monitor them very closely. You can use dividers temporarily if you wish. Watch them as long as possible for the first week or 2.

Ok ill add them all at once. Should I just acclimate them in the cup by floating it? Also at what point should I break them up if aggression gets to bad?? I know they're gonna chase each other and maybe nip some but what is a sign that they're being to mean?

Ok ill add them all at once. Should I just acclimate them in the cup by floating it? Also at what point should I break them up if aggression gets to bad?? I know they're gonna chase each other and maybe nip some but what is a sign that they're being to mean?
Yes let the cups float, some people do gradual acclimating by pouring a bit of tank water at a time in a bucket mixed with their water, but the volume of water that those cups contain are too little so forget that.
Also, I think it should be obvious when they start fighting. I'm not sure if female bettas flare they're gills, but if they do, a fight is most probably near.

Yes let the cups float, some people do gradual acclimating by pouring a bit of tank water at a time in a bucket mixed with their water, but the volume of water that those cups contain are too little so forget that.
Also, I think it should be obvious when they start fighting. I'm not sure if female bettas flare they're gills, but if they do, a fight is most probably near.

Females will flare their gills. I'd say split them up if you notice much biting other than fin nipping. In the sorority I just set up, the only two that fought (and ended up killing each other) were biting each other's sides and one ended up looking a bit bruised. I got her separated but it was too late, and she died shortly after the other one that was fighting with her did. Since then, I've noticed a little flaring and some chasing but no real fighting between the four remaining fish, but now I definitely know what kind of behavior to watch for when I add more to the tank. I plan on netting everybody out and rearranging the tank some before I do add more so I can add them all back together with new territories.

Well I have the four girls in the tank. They all seem to be getting along fine. There hasn't even been any chasing. They're all swimming around and I added them about 2 hours ago.

They're tank mates are

1 male betta
1 guppy
2 Molly fry
1 African dwarf frog.

The only flaring I've seen is from my male but the females just swim away and hide and he doesn't follow them. Hopefully it stays this way !

Well I have the four girls in the tank. They all seem to be getting along fine. There hasn't even been any chasing. They're all swimming around and I added them about 2 hours ago.

They're tank mates are

1 male betta
1 guppy
2 Molly fry
1 African dwarf frog.

The only flaring I've seen is from my male but the females just swim away and hide and he doesn't follow them. Hopefully it stays this way !
I would watch out with the male betta. I have known female betta's killing the male if it's not ready to breed vice versa. And they don't always do too well together.

They're tank mates are

1 male betta
1 guppy
2 Molly fry
1 African dwarf frog.

Uh oh... Males and females shouldn't be kept together except for spawning. Keep a good eye on them, and have a plan in case you need to do any separating.

My males more laid back than the average betta. I could move him to my 26 gal community or a 2.5 gal if i need to :)

That's good. It is always best to have a backup tank or two when you are trying to put Bettas in communities, or set up sororities. Definitely if you are trying to mix males and females! I'm interested to know how this turns out between the male and the females.

Me to! I'm curious to see if he spawns with one of them even tho that's not even the intended purpose lol. I still wanna add 2 half moon female because they're so pretty :)

I have a question, my red veil tail female has little lines from her back to her stomach and its not as colored in that area? She didn't have these when she was in her cup.

Also this may sound ridiculous but I've caught my guppy chasing a few of the new females ! LOL I found it funny

I have a ten gallon I might turn into a sorority. How many could I get? I'll defiantly be following this thread

I have a ten gallon I might turn into a sorority. How many could I get? I'll defiantly be following this thread

I'm no expert but once mines all said and done, I want 6.

2 VT
2 CT
2 HM

:)

Wish I could post pics but my mobile app won't let me and I don't know how on my computer.

You have to be extra careful using a 10 for a sorority although it can be done. A 20 is usually the smallest tank recommended for one because females are still very territorial. It is recommended that you have no fewer than four so there is a smaller chance of one getting singled out to be picked on by the rest.

I'm no expert but once mines all said and done, I want 6.

2 VT
2 CT
2 HM

:)

Wish I could post pics but my mobile app won't let me and I don't know how on my computer.

That's what I started with! Two of each. Although I lost a veil and a crowntail to violence. I plan on stopping by my LFS tomorrow and seeing what she can get ordered in for me for this Friday. I think I'm going to add another crown and another halfmoon. I'm hoping to breed, so I'm leaving room for females from future spawns. With a 56 gallon tank I have room for quite a few more.

They're tank mates are

1 male betta
1 guppy
2 Molly fry
1 African dwarf frog.

Oh I don't see this ending well. That's a lot for a 10g tank, you did say 10g? Not to mention the male Betta will most likely kill or be killed at some point. I highly doubt there will be any spawning as that takes special conditioning of the fish & a special set up. I wish you luck with this.

Back
Top Bottom