Big (ish) oops - rain (barrel) water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

walklong

Aquarium Advice Activist
General FYI to anyone considering using rain water for your aquarium.

I've started cycling a 10 g to try out some plants. I was so proud of myself: pulled gravel from my established tank (learned the small pieces are a risk to our little red eared slider), rinsed in water from a poly rain barrel and laid down on top of the kitty litter plant base. Pulled a couple of rocks from the big tank, too. Believing my cycle will be pretty quick, topped tank with rain water, start the filter and troupe over to LFS for a pair of live-bearers to start cycling.

Test from tank this am:
NH3 - 0 - really! ?
NO2 - 5+ - wow, maybe . . .
NO3 - 60± whoa!

Test water out of the barrel:
NH3 - 0 - as expected
NO2 - 1.0
NO3 - 160 ppm or more.

Light bulb moment: enough biological activity in the rain barrel /which is a pretty closed system so probably anaerobic - to jack up the readings.

Won't be doin' that any more'

Haha! :lol: Funny! Of course, not funny if you have to do a ton of wcs to get rid of those nitrates, but...

I'm usually so very anal about crossing i's and dotting t's; so I'm feelin' pretty ignorant for not considering and testing for the potential issues in the stored rain water. The flip side is that our city water is about 15° for KH, so using it is it's own set of challenges.

I'm usually so very anal about crossing i's and dotting t's; so I'm feelin' pretty ignorant for not considering and testing for the potential issues in the stored rain water. The flip side is that our city water is about 15° for KH, so using it is it's own set of challenges.

You could have a great killie or a malawi tank with a kh of 15!! :brows:

My tap water is 7.8 ph and 3 KH :confused:, so it's not really good for anything. :(

I guess if keeping fish wasn't a tad challenging we'd be bored and just play solitaire - wouldn't THAT wreck the economy!? O:)

Back
Top Bottom