Can I add fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukebailey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, two days ago I got my tank. It was a pretty good deal, a 55 gallon, two big ol filters, gravel, a few decorations, and a lid for 99 bucks. Heres the setup:

img_855661_0_f3f271a0d6c88c575060c9a20830ebc0.jpg

I have gotten the filters going (Ive had two tanks before) and put in some algae eater and "tap water make safe" liquid. (Im not sure exactly what it does-says it gets rid of chlorine.)

img_855661_1_a0b0b87bfbb67eba7232cc0962389587.jpg

img_855661_2_72d83390a013dce18e120c65223e7b6c.jpg

I also got a heater today. My question is, me and some buddies want to go and get fish tommorow. We could either scoop some up from the lake (I live in Florida) or go to the pet store. Is my tank ready for perhaps some hardy fish that could get the nitrogen cycle going? No matter how much I read about the nitrogen cycle (ive printed dozens of articles) im not a science guy and it confuses me.

You don't need to use the Algae Destroyer quite yet IMO. BTW, awesome deal! I wish I could come across that. You sound very eager to get things going and because I'm on this I will recommend doing a fishless cycle. Try putting two or three raw pieces of shrimp to start it going then check your parameters from then on. I'm not sure about the laws down there but I would not recommend putting fish from the lakes into a home tank. But that I cannot control! lol

So your saying that I should use raw shrimp rather than ammonia, for a fishless cycle?

I'm sure a lot of other members will tell you this, but the most humane way to get the tank ready would be to cycle it with either a pure ammonia source or raw shrimp. To speed this up, you can use a handful of gravel from an established tank to seed beneficial bacteria. The other option I have heard is to heavily plant the tank with live plants.

The disadvantage to cycling with fish is a lot of death, more work, and the ammonia and nitrites are toxic and can cause long term damage.

That is quite a deal, makes me jealous!!!

Coming from a guy who cycled his tank with fish, don't do it!!! I regretted it quickly, as I had to change the water on a daily basis. Also, doing a cycle with fish takes longer because of all the PWC's you do. I certainly can't sit here and tell you not to do it since I did, but I thought I'd share my experiences. :)

Nice grab! Only thing I can add that hasn't been mentioned yet is that I'd probably get a few more decorations/hiding spots for your tank. There are all kinds of threads on building caves with PVC, styrofoam, you name it. The more places your fish have to hang out and hide, the more comfortable they'll be, and they'll swim out and about more.

Be sure to check out the threads on cycling your tank for more detailed information.

Oh, and a very very basic version of the nitrogen cycle:

1. Ammonia is introduced into the tank (from fish (not recommended), shrimp, pure ammonia, etc.)
2. Bacteria develop to eat the ammonia. They produce nitrites.
3. Bacteria develop to eat the nitrites. They produce nitrates, which are much less toxic to fish than ammonia.

Last edited:
That is a good deal indeed for your tank. I paid 50 smackeroos for a 10 gallon. Go figure. Do a fishless cycle. It works. You just need two to three weeks of patience until it's all cycled. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom