Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frostyGIPA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am considering a canister filter for my new 55g fresh water tank. Which is better...the Fluval 305 or the Eheim 2215?

Thank you for your help.

I'm a fluval fan boy. I love my 206 and 306. Can't go wrong with either. Ehiem makes good canisters too. The fluval for me is just so easy and efficient.

eheim all the way! lol asking for the best canister to use never really works out, way too many opinions, just choose the one you like more, they are both great canisters.

I have 2 fluval 306 on my 55 love them very quiet only water moving lets you know there running, great flow, and 100 cheaper than the eheim

I have 2 fluval 306 on my 55 love them very quiet only water moving lets you know there running, great flow, and 100 cheaper than the eheim

Eheim classics and fluvals are pretty Much the same price, I got my eheim 2215 for $109 on amazon.

Infact right now the eheim 2215 is $113 while the fluval 306 is $118 on amazon

Last edited:
Cool, good deal does it come with media that's usually the empty canister price.

I am considering a canister filter for my new 55g fresh water tank. Which is better...the Fluval 305 or the Eheim 2215?

Thank you for your help.

To get back on topic I'd think you'd be much better off researching those canister filters yourself also look at the Rena filters I've heard good things from them as well. They are all great and its really personal preference and there are just too many different opinions to get a good answer

I feel like such a moron, when they were asking about fluval and the eheim I didn't even pay attention to the 2215 classic part I automatically thought the pro

100% agree with Army do some reading weigh the pros and cons of each of them, Army's right it's mostly a prefernce deal.

Agreed in that size tank it's preference. Larger tanks if say canister or sump. I had a canister on my 75 gallon and HATED it. I went back to 2 Aqua Clear 110 HOB's and I'm happy with them. The ease of cleaning and switching media right there on the fly is a HUGE plus to me. I have a canopy so you don't see them.

I clean out one a month. A complete overhaul. I also clean the impeller and give it a little Vaseline. Works fine and wouldn't change it.

My first canister was an eheim 2215. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have baskets. And it's pretty small for the money.

I'm about to set up another 6ft tank, and I've ordered this one for mechanical filtration:

image-4206239846.jpg

This one for biological filtration (the one with U.V):

image-1015664548.jpg

And I'll put a couple of internal sponge filters in as well.

Thank you for your help.

Fluval 406 - I have it on my 55 gallon, and I have the Fluval 206 on my 29 gallon and so far so good, I changed the media around and added more BioFoam and more Biomax and got rid of the carbon.

Fluval 406 - I have it on my 55 gallon, and I have the Fluval 206 on my 29 gallon and so far so good, I changed the media around and added more BioFoam and more Biomax and got rid of the carbon.

*Thumbs up*

Back
Top Bottom