Cleaning PFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can I get all the crap off of it? I am guessing it probably won't work too well if I vacuum it like gravel... I know a pic can stir it up but will this get all the junk out of it effectively as well?

I vacuum mine like gravel, just a bit less at a time. I just suck up an inch or two then quickly lift it and let it fall out. using a pic would work too. just vacuum as you stir. watch out, if it's real bad you could get an ammonia spike.

I use a gravel vac on mine. I just keep my thumb near the output end incase the pfs gets too far up the siphon, I can just put my thumb over it and the sand falls back down, or sometimes I'll do what mommytron does.

+1 for swirling the vac directly over what you're trying to pick up. I rarely every touch the sand with the vacuum.

I stick my vac all the way to the bottom, both the cheap vac and the Aqueon. The sand is heavy enough to fall out, and you wouldn't believe what I get out of the sand. I am pretty sure my snails pack stuff down there for later use LOL. ;)

yes, PFS is very common around here. it's very inexpensive, as well. AA should add it to the list of acronyms that you can hover over with your mouse to see what it means, it's becoming pretty popular :D

Back
Top Bottom