complete newbie with aquarium and eheim 2215 startup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arenaranger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

This is my first post (of many I am sure) and I just registered yesterday. I have a few questions that hopefully some of you won't mind helping me with. I was able to pick up a great deal when I was watching craigslist in myu area. I picked up a 65g aquarium with lights and stand and eheim 2215 canister filter plus a few extras for only 75.00. The stand is not that great but I have a woodshop so am going to build my own anyway.

My questions are more regarding the eheim at this point. I have received many opinions from the LFS abnd through the big als online customer service. The questions I have been asking are regarding what needs to be done with regards to replacing filter sections of the internals of the canister filter. Here are my questions.

1) Should I replace the ehfisubstrat and ehfimech or just rinse or boil it etc. to have it ready to start a new cycle once we set up our tank? I have been told to not replace it, boil it down and dry it, replace all of it a nd replace some of it. I am trying to get this setup cost effectively so don't really want to spend money where I don't have to.

2) What should I do to clean up some of the water scales that are on some of the areas on the back area of the glass around where the heater was and other filter lines etc. I also have some hard water buildup on the black upper frame of the aquarium. I have used vinegar to clean the eheim lines and it has worked out well but am not sure what to do to rinse it out now. Is water just suitable to use after you clean with vinegar to rinse areas of glass or equipment ,parts? How much rinsing is appropriate?

I am also wondering about what the best way to cycle our tank will be and how long it should tank for a 65 gallon tank. Any thoughts on this is really well taken as well.

I would really appreciate the help to get me started in this hobby.

Thank you so much for your help.

I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Welcome! I'm no good at filters and cleaning, but I'm fairly knowledgeable in cycling. Fishless cycling is the way to go! Check out the link in my signature for details. Depending on wether you have used media to start with or not, it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to 2-4 months.

I would start with fresh media, you could just get ceramic noodles or some other bio media no need to get the Eheim stuff, unless you want to.

Vinegar and a little elbow grease will clean off the water stains.

what other stuff is available? I am so new at this. Would it be alot cheaper?

Yes Homedog98,

Whhat else is available for the biological part of the filter. I know there are other brands of canister filters and am wondering if there is one that is consistenly reasonable when it comes to the price of ththe replacement bio media.

I guess it really doesn't matter what bio media you put in there does it? As long as it is designed for canister filters right?

Kevin

So Im guessing that the concern with boiling or replacing media is to make sure you don't "inherit" anything undesirable from the previous owner?

The bio medias' purpose is to provide a porous medium with plenty of places for the bacteria to grow. So as long as the media isn't clogged solid and you can clean it it should work. Boiling is an option, even bleaching and rinsing until you can no longer smell the bleach and a good air dry in the sun should help too. If the filter had come from a trusted source I would even say to just rinse in dechlorinated water and take advantage of it.

But since you seem to want a fresh start then what you really need to end up with is mechanical and bio filtration. Chemical (carbon) is really only needed to remove meds after treatments or to remove stains/smells from the water.

I bought polyester fiber matting sheet from an upholsterer that I cut to size to fit my two top canister trays for mechanical filtration and have a coarse sponge in the bottom tray for beneficial bacteria that came with the filter that I don't touch.

If complete disinfection is what you are after, don't forget to also do your trays, inside of the canister and disassemble the top to get the impeller and all filter surfaces clean then, as well as hoses, spray bar, etc; otherwise you won't really have the fresh start you want.

Back
Top Bottom