Cycle and fish selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon tank. I added 2 plants. I have a seeded sponge filter that took off and showed nitrites in 5 days. Ammonia is 4-5 ppm, nitrites 5 ppm, and nitrates just showed up today at 20 ppm. Where am I in the cycle? Also what and how many fish should I install when my cycle is ready?

Thanks,

JimmyA

JimmyA said:
I have a 20 gallon tank. I added 2 plants. I have a seeded sponge filter that took off and showed nitrites in 5 days. Ammonia is 4-5 ppm, nitrites 5 ppm, and nitrates just showed up today at 20 ppm. Where am I in the cycle? Also what and how many fish should I install when my cycle is ready?

Thanks,

JimmyA

Welcome to the site :). How much and how quickly is your ammonia dropping in a 24 hour period? You can also check out the guide and FAQ in my signature to hopefully answer some of your questions.

Seems like things are going great...you must have gotten some fantastic seeding material. I'd say you're probably at least halfway home based on what you're seeing as far as your no3 level goes. Are you using an API Master Test Kit for your readings? You'll be coming up on the time to do a big partial water change (pwc) pretty soon to restore the nutrients and buffers to the water to prevent a stall or pH crash. As for how many fish to stock at first and any other questions...it should be covered in the guide, but feel free to post anything you come across either here or on the guide thread :).

Last edited:
Yes, I am using the API Test Kit. Nitrates are now up to 50 ppm. Nitrites at 5.0 ppm and Ammonia at 4.0 ppm. I have been keeping the ammonia at 4.0 ppm. When do I do the partial water change? I printed out the guide, so I will take a look at that again. Just in case it helps anyone, I am doing the fishless cycle, used Ace Janitor Strength ammonia plus I added one of the 4" active sponges from Angels Plus. That active sponge got my nitrites going in 5 days. I appreciate your help and guidance.

Sincerely,

JimmyA

JimmyA said:

Thanks,

JimmyA

Well, I'll let Eco do his cycle thing, but I can help with the fish! You've got lots of options! Do you know of any fish you'd like to see in there?

Well, I'll let Eco do his cycle thing, but I can help with the fish! You've got lots of options! Do you know of any fish you'd like to see in there?

Well, I am a beginner, so I don't know. What do you recommend for a beginner 20 gallon tank?

Thanks,

JimmyA

How about this?
5 panda cories
3 ottos
5 male guppies (they breed like nuts!)
6 rummy nose tetras
1 dwarf gourami
Look those guys up on google images, and see how you like them. You can also look up others if the list above doesn't speak to you. :)

Thank you for the suggestion!

JimmyA

No prob! Keep us updated, and do some research on some fish you might like, as it sounds like you get to stock soon!

Back
Top Bottom