Cycling questions... how much and which brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gnarls Gnarlington

Aquarium Advice Activist
Soon I will be the owner of a shiny new 50 gallon acrylic tank. I am thinking plastic foliage but am beginning to get the bug to use real plants.

Anyway, I have read this excellent post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Question:

1. How do I know how much ammonia to add?
2. How do I know how much anti-chlorine juice to add and what is a good brand?
3. Is there an optimum temperature?
4. Regarding adding a shrimp to get things started... is it a dead frozen raw shrimp? Do I thaw it? How long do I keep it in there?

:thanks:

Soon I will be the owner of a shiny new 50 gallon acrylic tank. I am thinking plastic foliage but am beginning to get the bug to use real plants.

Anyway, I have read this excellent post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Question:

4. Regarding adding a shrimp to get things started... is it a dead frozen raw shrimp? Do I thaw it? How long do I keep it in there?

Even though I didn't do a fish-less cycle .... Others have had success.

I'm not qualified to answer the first question ... but instead of shrimp, you can get janitorial grade ammonia from Ace hardware as your ammonia source ...you'll have enough to last forever. That specific brand is what members have recommended. If you decide to go that route ... just make sure it doesn't have any surfactants or other additives ... just the ammonia.

For question two ... Seachem Prime is a good de-chlorinator AA members highly recommend. The bottle tells you exactly how many mL to add during a PWC.

As for temperature ... I'm sure most members keep the tanks at about room temp.

GOOD LUCK!

Gnarls Gnarlington said:

Anyway, I have read this excellent post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Question:

Good luck on your fishless cycle :)

1) Ammonia strengths are all very different. The Ace brand is very potent and only takes a small amount to get to 4ppm. The Blue Ribbon brand I used took almost 300 drops. Maybe add around a teaspoon at first for a 55 gallon, let the water circulate for 15-20 minutes, test the level, add more if necessary, circulate, test, etc...

2) I fully agree with the Seachem Prime recommendation. I believe a capful treats 50 gallons.

3) Temp is best for a fishless cycle between 77-85 degrees. This is the range the nitrifying bacteria colonizes the fastest.

4) I would recommend strongly against using shrimp. It can introduce different nasties into your tank like molds, fungus, etc.

Thanks for doing a fishless cycle. Your fish will be very happy with the safe home you're building for them.

Back
Top Bottom