Cycling with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm new here and need some help.
With the advice of some of the local pet stores I put fish in my new 60 gallon tank. 4 white shirts and 4 Buenos Aires tetras. They said it would be fine if I did water changes. I feel bad since i have learned now... that I could of done this cycling thing with out fish. Duh, I know. :(
Well it's done and now I have to do my best. Could some one tell me or direct me to some info on a step by step guide on how to do this. I have bought the master water test kit but really have no idea what are safe levels but still keep the cycling process going. I did check the ammonia yesterday it was 0.50 so I did a 25% water change. Fish all seem to be doing okay. But I really don't know what I'm doing. And every time a call a fish store I get completely different answers.
Would someone please help. Thanks.

Cher...

Cycling a tank with fish isn't the nightmare some say it is. Below is an explanation of how to properly cycle the tank with fish. Ideally, you use hardy fish, ones that don't mind changes in the water chemistry and do a good job of testing the tank water and removing the right amount when you should.

Here's the information:

You set up the tank and add some floating plants like Hornwort, Water sprite and/or Anacharis and let the tank with the plants run for a couple of days to settle the water. Add 3 to 4 hardy fish for every 10 gallons of tank water. Hardy fish species include Platys, Swordtails, Guppies, Danios, White cloud minnows and Rasboras. Feed a little every day or two. The dissolving fish waste (ammonia) combines with oxygen from the outside air and begins to grow the bacteria colony. Test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove a quarter (25 percent) of the tank water and replace that with tap water treated with an additive to remove chlorine and chloramine. Don’t remove more water, it starves the bacteria and slows the process. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. Once cycled, in a month or so, you change out half or more of the tank water weekly to maintain a healthy water chemistry.

B

I did the same thing as You! All my fish are alive too. I did 30% water changes every 2 days, and my tank was cycled in 14 days.

Cher, I was in the same situation you are when I started my tank. BBradbury gave you some great advice that should help. Don't worry, just follow his instructions and everything will work out just fine. That's how I got my tank cycled with virtually no problems, I was careful and made sure nothing got out of hand.

I just want to add one thing if your gonna use a conditioner when performing your water change. Try to get your hands on PRIME by seachem. This will allow your fish to be in a "safer environment" while your doing your cycle.

PRIME doesn't get rid of ammonia or nitrites it just makes them non toxic for the fish for a 48 hour period. But still allows good bacteria to feed off of them. So every water change add PRIME to help.

Thanks everyone! But one more question... so I should never leave traces of ammonia? even as low as 0.05.
BBradbury, I love you quote of wisdom below your message.

Ya that's right ur always looking for

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates anything less then 40ppm

0.25 isn't the end of the world but not good for the fish but 0.50 or higher that's when could start actually damaging the fish that are in the aquarium

To allow the bacteria to grow you need to leave some..
I would not change water until you get to 1ppm ammonia.
Then do a 50%.
Taking the bacteria to low levels ,especially the ammonia will IMO slow the growth of the second set that converts nitrItes to nitrAtes .
And they usually take longer then the ammonia.
Your tank is good sized and you are stocked to succeed if you just let the test guide you.

Ok I did a complete check on my tank this morning, only because my fish was acting a little weird. Chasing each other around rather frantically.
Here's the readings.
Ammonia - o.25 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
PH - 7.6
High Range PH - 7.4
Nitrate - 0 ppm.

Is the PH a little high? If so what should I do?

P.S. Fish are acting fine now. :ermm:

You are all good.
Don't mess with pH.
Yours is basically perfect!
When your ammonia gets close to 1 ppm change 50%.That will lower you to .5ppm
The amount of water removed is the amount of the nutrient [ammonia , nitrite , nitrate ] is removed /reduced.
So 1ppm - 50% = .5ppm
You can keep your level lower but you can expect this to last months if you don't help it a little....

:dance: Yey, so happy I'm not killing my fish.
Thank you!

How will I know when I can start adding more fish?

Well I wouldn't really say your water is perfect, perfect would be

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm or less

I definitely wouldn't add more fish just yet because your already at 0.25ppm ammonia which we'll then increase once you add more fish into it. Try getting your ammonia done to 0ppm then add more fish.

Back
Top Bottom