Day 9 of cycle. Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new tank

Aquarium Advice Regular
Test after 9 days, a 30% water change and a 50% water change =

Ph=8/8.5
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0.3/0.1
Nitrate=5/10

Am i right in saying all looks good accept the nitrite needs to be lower as should the PH. If this is so what steps should i take to finish cycle? Another water change and dose ammonia in few more days?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure on PH. But nitrite should be 0 and ammonia should be 0, further to that a generous (3-4ppm) dose of ammonia should be converted to nitrites, then to nitrates within 24hours before you can call your cycle complete.

Keep dosing with ammonia at what ever level you have been, i suggest 3 or 4 ppm every other day (thats what i done). Once you have established that your ammonia is being dealt with within 24 hours you need to do a huge water change (like 90%) and then re test for nitrates, they should be below 30ppm.

You can then add fish. (y)

Awesome. Great help

I just want to chime in, because it never seems to hurt around here to bolster someone else's recommendation with a +1 - I agree 100% with everything that The Trooper said :)
Oh except to clarify, the 90% water change is when ammonia is dealt with by becoming nitrates, not nitrites. He means at the very end when the cycle is done.

Unless you're using seeded biomedia from another filter, the cycling process does take several weeks, so you'll need to be patient.
If you didn't use seeded media then you're only just beginning your nitrite phase and have a ways to go.

What are the different numbers x/x?

The different numbers are there just because i couldnt decide weather the colour of the water resembled say 8 on the chart or 8.5
Just checked nitrite and its at 0.1
Should i do a water change and add more biological enhancer (ammonia) or just leave it be?

OK I see.
No need for a water change. Just follow the advisement of The Trooper which is to continue dosing ammonia every other day.

Thankyou

Back
Top Bottom