Different species tetra schooling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazeeboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My question is will rummy nose tetra school with other species of tetra? (ie. cardinal tetra, neon tetra). I ask because i recently bought 4 rummy nose and was wondering if i can mix with other tetras and have them school together.

Did your tank finish cycling? If not, adding fish will only make it more difficult to complete.

Rummynose tetras are much tighter schoolers than a lot of other tetras. You can mix other tetras with them, but it's likely that they'll just kind of hang around the rummies rather than school with them. I'd recommend adding more rummies if you have room and a cycled tank- they would prefer to be kept in a larger group (6+).

thanks for the quick reply severum. you seem to always be answering all my questions thanks =). and i believe my tank has finished cycling. tested my water for the past couple of days its only showing nitrates at 20. i will get more rummy nose if other tetras wont school like them. they look pretty cool schooling! or maybe i can have two different schools of tetra 5 each? ultimately i am planning to give back the green puffer i have and have about 10 tetras, 4 angelfish, 2 of those cleaning catfishes, bunch of ghost shrimp in my 40 gallon. what other fish should i get? (adding them very slowly of course).

I agree with Sev about the rummies. You may be able to do two schools of 8-10 tetra (eventually). What exact fish are "cleaning catfish"? Can you post a pic or species name? A lot of catfish get big and shouldn't really be sold. 4 Angels may be too much for a 40G. If two pair up they will defend the territory vigorously and may kill the others. Keep in mind that the angels usually seen are far from adult sized. They can easily get 6-8" tall.

the cleaning catfishes I'm talking about are the octoniclus catfish (the spelling is off). yes i am aware that 4 will eventually get too big and once paired can be very aggressive. i have plans to give 2 off to my cousin once they pair off or get too big. so i would be fine with about 20 tetras in my tank and 4 angelfish for now assuming i am going to give 2 away once they pair off or get big right?

Yes. If you are ready to rehome 2 angels and grow the angels with the tetra and otos... it's a solid plan. Big angels will snack on small fish, but if they are small enough you should be ok. I was worried you may be talking about plecos. Keep us updated, it sounds like you've thought this out well. :)

ok thanks for the advice! i am learning more and more everyday from this place! especially from you two lol

I have 2 Rummy Nose and they hang out all by themselves. I have several other types of tetras in the tank, but they do thier own thing. I am planning on adding more of them so they have some friends to school with.

They'll like that. Rummies are a lot more interesting in bigger groups. I've had as many as 15 at once before and they were quite a sight. :)

I have 6 rummies together with 10 cardinal tetras and they school together it take 3-4 days but now they hang around together

Back
Top Bottom