Donated Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ragin1cajun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question about donated filter media. I have a coworker that has 2 established fish tanks. He will be replacing the filter in his sons 5G tank this weekend so I asked him for the filter media to help cycle my tanks.. He said he would wait until Monday morning before coming to work to change the filter.

How long does the BB stay alive without being in a filter with water running through it? I have read different articles that state differing opinions. One opinion says the BB don't last very long and other opinions say the BB last longer than previously thought.

At the moment he is planning on taking out the media and putting it in a zip-lock bag. I will then take it home and put it in my filters. So the media will be out of the filter for roughly 9-10 hours before being put back in a filter.

Unfortunately, I cannot do anything to shorten than window!

David

Make sure your friend puts it in a container/bag of his tank water. It needs to stay wet. You will also need to make sure it doesn't go through any major temperature changes. Other than that it should be fine for that long IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
Make sure your friend puts it in a container/bag of his tank water. It needs to stay wet. You will also need to make sure it doesn't go through any major temperature changes. Other than that it should be fine for that long IMO.

I agree.

Thanks for the replies!

He and I talked before he left from work and he is gonna put it in a zip lock bag..

I think I will bring a snap type container with some of my tank water to keep it in once he gives it to me.

David

Back
Top Bottom