driftwood refuses to not drift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long does it typically take for a piece of driftwood to waterlog? I have had two pieces submerged and anchored down for 2 days now and they feel just as bouyant as when i first put them in. Any tips on sinking them faster? :?:

Thanks,
David

You can screw a piece of slate to the bottom of the wood and it should sink (It depends on the size of the driftwood).

I hate to to be the bearer of bad news, however, I've heard of some driftwood that has not sunk for months. The slate is a good idea. For what it is worth, malysian driftwood sinks like a rock right away.

Did you boil or soak your driftwood before hand? I had to boil mine for almost 8 hours and then soaked it for a week before it decided to sink.

Like suggested, get some fishing line around the wood and attach it a piece of slate and burry that underneath your gravel. That seems to work too.

There is a reason its called driftwood, and thats because it doesn't sink, it drifts on top of the water. Some heavier woods will sink, but many are not going to sink for a LONG time.

I used fishing line ti tie it to a rock and then I buried the rock under the sand. you cant even see the line. also and root wood will sink right away. the drift wood I bought I soaked in hot water baths for a week, and it would still be floating if I didn't anchor it down.

I have had two pieces submerged and anchored down for 2 days now
be the bearer of bad news, however, I've heard of some driftwood that has not sunk for months

can take days, months, even years...
I have a piece that sunk within a couple days. however, it was a really old piece of wood I picked up from the bush, was totally dry, and very porous inside because of its age.
where did u get ur wood from? is it actually driftwood or is it GOING to be driftwood.

it is driftwood that i bought from a lfs. It appeared to be "designed" for aquariums, i.e. all of the pieces were attractive and long and narrow enough for anything larger than a 10g.

It's real drift wood though. I may look into the slate idea sometime, but i really dont want to disturb my substrate that much seeing as how i just got it the way i want it (it's sand, very finicky).

thanks for the tips though,
David

One thing about slate use a masonary bit to drill the hole for the slate, then a regular bit and predrill the driftwood and use stainless steel screw to anchor them together-Anne

and dont tighten the screw too much. It will rip right thru the wood. just remember, though it may take a little work now, it will look great when finished :mrgreen:

beblondie said:
One thing about slate use a masonary bit to drill the hole for the slate, then a regular bit and predrill the driftwood and use stainless steel screw to anchor them together-Anne

Good advice, I actually broke a normal bit trying to go through slate. Make sure you use a washer on the slate side and enough screws so that it will stay put. I used one for my small piece of driftwood, but 3 for my large piece.

Or, just buy the pre-mounted pieces from Big Als.

Tony Starks said:

I personally am a firm believer in using what I have or making it work as long as its not more expensive..
If you have to order a piece from Big Als's it would cost you +shipping..
Im not sure if you have access to a masonry bit, regular bit, drill, or slate.. I would look into the cost of fixing it + how much your time is worth.. it is part of your hobby so that makes the time "recreational" if you like doing this sort of thing yourself..DIY..
If you have access to most of the things you will need then I say go for it..
I wouldnt buy a drill just for such a project though.. JMHO though.

greenmagi said:
Tony Starks said:

I personally am a firm believer in using what I have or making it work as long as its not more expensive..
If you have to order a piece from Big Als's it would cost you +shipping..
Im not sure if you have access to a masonry bit, regular bit, drill, or slate.. I would look into the cost of fixing it + how much your time is worth.. it is part of your hobby so that makes the time "recreational" if you like doing this sort of thing yourself..DIY..
If you have access to most of the things you will need then I say go for it..
I wouldnt buy a drill just for such a project though.. JMHO though.

I paid $20 for a big piece of driftwood from my LFS, and then another $20 for the 10lb piece of slate I mounted it to. It actually would have been cheaper to just go through Big Als. Plus, their pieces don't yellow the water.

I wish someone had suggested this to me, everyone was giving so much DIY advice I missed the fact that I was paying more, and spending my time, all for an inferior piece of driftwood that is more expensive. I ended up giving all three of my DIY pieces away that I wasted close to $100 on because they made my water yellow. Then, I spent $55 total on three big premounted pieces from Big Als for my two tanks. Now I have great driftwood at least, but I wish I had gotten better advice from square one.

driftwood and use stainless steel screw to

I'd probably tend to use a wooden plug, or a piece of dowel..
even though stainless is supposed to be corrosion proof, given enough salt and oxygen, any metal will corrode and release toxic oxide into the water.
Just a thought..

Tony.. I try to do my best.. sorry I couldnt get to you before you went through this..
LFS used to sell the driftwood with the slate already attached like Big Al's does.. though the markup is pretty high..
I live in a area of the country were slate is free.. its on the ground and I can get some driftwood out of some water around here.. I would just need the masonry bit.. but this is just an example of what could be available to someone..

greenmagi said:
Tony.. I try to do my best.. sorry I couldnt get to you before you went through this..
LFS used to sell the driftwood with the slate already attached like Big Al's does.. though the markup is pretty high..
I live in a area of the country were slate is free.. its on the ground and I can get some driftwood out of some water around here.. I would just need the masonry bit.. but this is just an example of what could be available to someone..

That must be nice, I'm just surrounded by big buildings and concrete.

greenmagi said:
I think the slate is of a different type.. its blue in color... I forgot you were in LA!

Yeah, and unlike most people who say they are from LA, I actually live in the city. I can see Staples ceter looking out one window and Dodgers stadium out the other, but its kind of lacking for driftwood :wink:

Back
Top Bottom