Dwarf Puffer Planted Tank Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone
I have decided it is time to get a 10g fishtank. I am going to do a Dwarf Puffer tank. I have been doing some research but I have some questions and would appreciate any assistance

I have narrowed down my equipment to the following;
-Marineland LED hood
-Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 75
-Aquatop GH-50 Heater

Will that work for 2-3 puffers? Any other recommendations?

If I am going to do live plants, what water treatment/start up/cycle stuff should I use?

Is it ok to plant the tank first, get it stabilized, and then add fish or do I have to add fish first and plant later?

I would like to use black sand substrate. Any recommendations?

Once the puffers are happy and comfortable, I am then going to want to add some species of fish to help keep the tank bottom clean and/or algae free. I have read that this is always a gamble with puffers. So I will try, in this order;
-Cherry Shrimp (if they get eaten, well, then I guess it was just an expensive snack)
-2 Kuhi Loach (with plenty of hiding spots)
-2 Otos

Do the Loaches or Otos need larger schools than that? Any other suggestions? Are there larger shrimp or snails that the puffers won't/can't bother?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to AA! How much experience do you have with aquariums? Dwarf puffers can be a little challenging to keep.

Tank setup seems fine except that LED hood will almost certainly be too weak for plants.

For water treatment just use seachem prime.

Black sand sold at any fish store should work but if you want plants you'll need root tabs.

You can plant the tank first while it cycles and add fish later.

Kuhli loaches need groups of at least 5. Cherry shrimp are likely to become puffer food. Otos are your best bet IMO.

I have a little experience. I certainly would not try anything more challenging than the Dwarf Puffers, but they are a step up.

Is there another hood you would recommend? Is it easier to augment that hood somehow? The tank will be in a spot with indirect sunlight. Will that be enough? Are there plants that would work for this hood (require a little less light)?

Is the 10 gallon too small for 2-3 puffers and 5 Kuhli Loaches?

Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated

Hi, welcome to AA! How much experience do you have with aquariums? Dwarf puffers can be a little challenging to keep.

Tank setup seems fine except that LED hood will almost certainly be too weak for plants.

For water treatment just use seachem prime.

Black sand sold at any fish store should work but if you want plants you'll need root tabs.

You can plant the tank first while it cycles and add fish later.

Kuhli loaches need groups of at least 5. Cherry shrimp are likely to become puffer food. Otos are your best bet IMO.

Hey there buddy! Glad to see someone else interested in puffs. I'm about to upgrade my 5.5 gallon Dwarf puffer tank to a 10 gallon. The 10 would be perfect for a small group, maybe 2 or 3. I have 2 in my 5.5 and they get along just fine, with the occasional territorial dispute. I also keep them with a lot of RCS, but I don't expect to see lots of shrimplets. They do leave the adult shrimp alone though. :lol: I wouldn't dare add any other fish to the tank, even in a 10 gallon, let alone a 5.5 The only fish that they always get along with and many have reported successful with are oto cats. They stay small and eat lots of algae. For some reason the puffs leave them alone. Maybe because of their dull colors and they don't move a lot?

DP's really do appreciate a planted tank. My 5.5 is very heavily planted, and they are constantly exploring and checking things out. One way to know if the puffs are bored is if they are "glass surfing". This is when they swim up and down or against the glass. My puffs do this whenever I enter the room because they are begging for food of course lol. They are highly inquisitive fish, very intelligent and very interactive as well. They peck at my hand during maintenance, beg for food, and know the difference between me and my siblings, mom and dad, probably because they know that I give them food, which brings me to the next subject of discussion :D

Dwarf puffers are listed as an intermediate fish for a reason. For me, that main reason is feeding. Most will need live food at some point. Some will accept frozen food that is waved in front of them for a while. Never, ever ever ever have I seen a puff accept flake or pellet food and I don't think I ever will. You can keep all kinds of live food cultures for them, like black worms (what I have right now), pest snails that grow and reproduce quickly, like pond, ramshorn and MTS snails, shrimp (RCS shrimplets) this may not be the best option because I would rather have shrimp in the tank to enjoy, and they cost money, which means you can make money off your live food :lol:

My blackworm culture is really simple. Just a small plastic container (just a small tupperware tub) and some plastic mesh for them to hold onto. Got a big sheet of the mesh at hobby lobby for 99 cents. Add your worms and just change the water every couple days. Don’t feed or nothing. Works perfectly for me.

I wouldn't put kuhlis in, puffs will probably rip them apart. They are VERY territorial. Everything else sounds fine IMO (y)

I would look into a finnex stingray. That's what I used on my previous 10 gallon dwarf puffer tank. Should be a good low/medium light for some easy plants. The hood you're looking at would likely be too weak for even the lowest light plants; I've tried with a similar hood and the plants slowly died. And I would avoid the sunlight, even indirect; it can cause serious algae problems.

I agree with Nils, I wouldn't do the kuhlis with them, plus puffers are somewhat heavy on waste so it might be a bit much to have kuhli loaches as well.

Ok. Gotcha.

That light looks really nice. Do I get the 20inch model to stretch across the whole top of the tank? Do I need to use a hood with it?

I guess the kuhlis are out! Haha

Thank you

I would look into a finnex stingray. That's what I used on my previous 10 gallon dwarf puffer tank. Should be a good low/medium light for some easy plants. The hood you're looking at would likely be too weak for even the lowest light plants; I've tried with a similar hood and the plants slowly died. And I would avoid the sunlight, even indirect; it can cause serious algae problems.

I agree with Nils, I wouldn't do the kuhlis with them, plus puffers are somewhat heavy on waste so it might be a bit much to have kuhli loaches as well.

Yeah, the 20 inch is what I have. You don't have to use a hood. I didn't and my puffers never tried to jump or even looked like they might try. But you can buy a cheap glass hood to avoid them jumping.

They really are an interesting fish. I am looking forward to it.

What does RCS stand for? I am guessing that it is a variety of shrimp and the puffers eat the shimplets.

One of my local pet shops has a perpetual snail issue in the tank where they sell the freshwater plants. I am sure they will let me occasionally stock up. Heck, it is like I am doing them a favor!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying 2 Oto's would be ok in a 10 gallon with 2-3 puffers?

Hey there buddy! Glad to see someone else interested in puffs. I'm about to upgrade my 5.5 gallon Dwarf puffer tank to a 10 gallon. The 10 would be perfect for a small group, maybe 2 or 3. I have 2 in my 5.5 and they get along just fine, with the occasional territorial dispute. I also keep them with a lot of RCS, but I don't expect to see lots of shrimplets. They do leave the adult shrimp alone though. :lol: I wouldn't dare add any other fish to the tank, even in a 10 gallon, let alone a 5.5 The only fish that they always get along with and many have reported successful with are oto cats. They stay small and eat lots of algae. For some reason the puffs leave them alone. Maybe because of their dull colors and they don't move a lot?

DP's really do appreciate a planted tank. My 5.5 is very heavily planted, and they are constantly exploring and checking things out. One way to know if the puffs are bored is if they are "glass surfing". This is when they swim up and down or against the glass. My puffs do this whenever I enter the room because they are begging for food of course lol. They are highly inquisitive fish, very intelligent and very interactive as well. They peck at my hand during maintenance, beg for food, and know the difference between me and my siblings, mom and dad, probably because they know that I give them food, which brings me to the next subject of discussion :D

Dwarf puffers are listed as an intermediate fish for a reason. For me, that main reason is feeding. Most will need live food at some point. Some will accept frozen food that is waved in front of them for a while. Never, ever ever ever have I seen a puff accept flake or pellet food and I don't think I ever will. You can keep all kinds of live food cultures for them, like black worms (what I have right now), pest snails that grow and reproduce quickly, like pond, ramshorn and MTS snails, shrimp (RCS shrimplets) this may not be the best option because I would rather have shrimp in the tank to enjoy, and they cost money, which means you can make money off your live food :lol:

My blackworm culture is really simple. Just a small plastic container (just a small tupperware tub) and some plastic mesh for them to hold onto. Got a big sheet of the mesh at hobby lobby for 99 cents. Add your worms and just change the water every couple days. Don’t feed or nothing. Works perfectly for me.

I wouldn't put kuhlis in, puffs will probably rip them apart. They are VERY territorial. Everything else sounds fine IMO (y)

Red Cherry Shrimp. Duh. I am an idiot

They really are an interesting fish. I am looking forward to it.

What does RCS stand for? I am guessing that it is a variety of shrimp and the puffers eat the shimplets.

One of my local pet shops has a perpetual snail issue in the tank where they sell the freshwater plants. I am sure they will let me occasionally stock up. Heck, it is like I am doing them a favor!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying 2 Oto's would be ok in a 10 gallon with 2-3 puffers?

Yep, otos will be fine with them. Just make sure they have something to feed on, they're great little algae eaters but when they get through it all you may have to supplement their diet with algae wafers. Best to get them after a couple months of the tank running so they have biofilm off the plants to feed on.

A good idea. Thank you

Yep, otos will be fine with them. Just make sure they have something to feed on, they're great little algae eaters but when they get through it all you may have to supplement their diet with algae wafers. Best to get them after a couple months of the tank running so they have biofilm off the plants to feed on.

Back
Top Bottom