Filter choices (Eheim or HOB)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have compared and researched canister filters and narrowed my choice down to one of the Eheim cans, but not sure which one.
Then along comes someone that says use a HOB. More affordable and there are models that filter as well and media is nowhere as expensive
as can media.
Wow! Now I'd like to ask one last time for your help.
I almost ordered a Rena XP3, but after reading reviews about different cans, I noticed the majority preferred Eheim can and called them the Cadillacs of can filters due to how quiet they are, but I didn't know which one to order for my 75 gallon FW tank.
I hate the idea of going back to HOB filters so can someone help clear up any confusion I am having about these filters?
Aloha,
Scott

I think Rena's are supposedly quieter than Eheims, and cheaper. I've had an XP2 and XP3. Great filters. It really comes down to what you want. I prefer canisters, just don't have the money to get one right now so I stuck with an HOB.

The AquaClear HOB's are the best, in my opinion. Even so, I'd always go the canister route when possible. It stays hidden, they are quiet, and they have a huge amount of room for media. One thing I liked about the XP, is that when you'd do a water change, you disconnect the intake and outtake, and all the water would stay in the filter. There would be no chance of your media drying out or anything...when you do a PWC on a tank with an HOB the water always drains partially and you need to keep your media wet. Small thing, but something I like.

If you do go with an HOB, go with AquaClear. I haven't gone to canisters because they're expensive and my HOBs do a great job.

Why do prices vary so?

Was gonna bite the bullet and just do it and:
Just went to amazon and noticed that the xp3 ranges from $140-$370
WHY? Anyone??
ARE THERE DIFFERENT MODELS OF THE XP3?
I SEE AP RENA, PHARMECEUTICALS RENA ETC...
WHAT THE ???

I have two Aqueon QuietFlow filters; a QuieFlow 10 on my 10g, and a QuietFlow 30 on my 20g high. They seem to work OK for me so far, allthough I don't know how good or bad they are comparitively to AquaClears. I originally steered toward the Aqueon filters because they seem to be lower maintenance when it comes to rinsing off the mechanical filter vs the AquaClears, which has the filter on the bottom of the basket.

I have to admit, I wasn't all that enamored with the so-called patented biological grid on my Aqueon QuietFlows, so I stuck a Fluval Chi replacement foam pad between the grid and the waterfall back into the tank on both filters. I figure that any added surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on never hurts. :)

XP3

Well, I went ahead and did it. I ordered the RENA XP3. I am also thinking of getting an ac110 for added filtration and aeration.
Finally looked a little better at the different descriptions and the AP, never mind. I got it, but I chose to order from Big Als online. Their price was best, but noooooo, they don't ship to Hawaii. Don't see the complication with Hawaii and Alaska.
Okay, got that off my chest...:)
I am hoping/praying I don't regret this purchase. Now I understand I should buy filter media in bulk so its cheaper and since I built the stand with plenty of storage space underneath, I should put it to good use!
Anyone have a good link for bulk media. Gonna look here locally, but thought I'd check here first.
Aloha,
Scott

No need to buy any media. IIRC, they come with everything you need. Toss the carbon, just run the ceramic rings and sponges. They'll last forever, never need to replace them.

I don't think it comes with biomedia, actually. If I recall, all I got were the three coarse sponges for the bottom basket, then a blue pad or something for the top where the impeller is. I bought bio balls separately. Haven't had one in a while though so I don't know.

You're right. Some do, some dont. This one doesn't. It comes with sponges, but you'll need to get some ceramic media for it. You won't need a ton, definitely don't need to buy it in bulk.

Ceramic media?

You're right. Some do, some dont. This one doesn't. It comes with sponges, but you'll need to get some ceramic media for it. You won't need a ton, definitely don't need to buy it in bulk.
So what exactly do I need to look for re: ceramic media. I have never had anything but HOB filters so this canister is new language to me and I'm learning all over from scratch.
Help plz...Scott:yin:

Still waiting for the filter to arrive...

Look for something like SeaChem Matrix or Fluval BioMax. Basically it's just chunks of ceramic with miles of little passageways in it. The tunnels provide a lot of surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow in a small volume .

media

Can you give me a good idea of effective media in the 3 levels of my XP3. I opened it once, but I believe it's got 2 baskets per level so 6 compartments all together. I heard I can select most of my media that can be rinsed and reused.
Please help this canister filter virgin:grin:

Back
Top Bottom