Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traveler84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning an aquarium for post Christmas. I was trying to get peer reviews for some parts needed. I'm debating on maybe getting some equipment early like the filter or what not. My tank will be 40 - 55 gallon.

What filters, heaters, etc, have you bought that is good?

With filters, could you explain the canister deals? As a kid, I had the stick on the side filter. But, with some sites, I read you can do a pump and a canister? How does that work? A sump would come later but wanted less stuff on the back as possible.

Thank you all

I am planning an aquarium for post Christmas. I was trying to get peer reviews for some parts needed. I'm debating on maybe getting some equipment early like the filter or what not. My tank will be 40 - 55 gallon.

With filters, could you explain the canister deals? As a kid, I had the stick on the side filter. But, with some sites, I read you can do a pump and a canister? How does that work? A sump would come later but wanted less stuff on the back as possible.

Thank you all

Hi, not sure on the pump and canister unless it is an air-pump? Perhaps a two-stage unit? My canister filters have the pump internal and it is all one unit. Mine are on the cheaper side but clean the water ok, are not that loud and have had no problems so far.

With a tank that size I'd go with a canister. I have an Eheim 2215 on my 40 gal and I would highly recommend it. For heaters, I prefer the adjustable ones rather than the pre-set; Aqueon and Fluval make some good ones.

Your New Tank

Thank you all

Hello trav...

I keep several tanks in the 40-55 gallon range. For a bit larger tank, a couple of 100 watt "Theo" heaters placed on opposites ends of the tank will work very well. These are a good brand and the cost is reasonable too. Canister filters are a bit complex and roughly 3 times the cost of standard filtration. Standard HOB (hang on the back) filters do the same job. I like Hagen filters. A couple of AC50s on opposites sides of the tank work well. The HOBs are much easier to maintain than canisters.

Don't want to completely steer you away from high end filtration, though. If you've got deep pockets and time on your hands, then the canister may be perfect for you. Honestly, a sound water change routine and basic filtration will keep your tank in top condition.

B

Thank you all

Just saw the sump part, I assume like a saltwater system? I don't think a sump would be needed for a 55g (I mean in filtering requirements not if you want one). Do many people out there run them in freshwater systems?

You absolutely do not need a sump on a 40-55G tank. Get either an Eheim 2217 or a Fluval 406 or a Rena XP4. You may want a medium HOB filter as well for redundancy and backup such as an Aquaclear 70/300.

That will be all you need. Heater wise you could just use 1 200-250W (for 55G) heater. I used to suggest Eheim Jager but they have had many problems lately.

Back
Top Bottom