First time cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimpru

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first large tank (220gal)along with a my first fish less cycling. So I have a lot of first.

My setup.
Tank is 72x24x30
Running two ehiem 2217's.
2 fluval 300w heaters
Substrate is Eco complete for cichlids about 160lbs.
River rocks and 1 piece of drift wood
Plants are amazon sword, java fern, Java moss, and Anubis

Used API Master test kit
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0

I have been at it for about a week I used ammonia to start the cycling with (that was not easy in my area but found Ace janitorial)

I know my filters are not enough for a tank of this size but budget is limited. Eventually I will be adding an eheim 2262 to help

Thus far I have been getting a reading of .05 after that I add ammonia to bring the level back up to about 3-4ppm. Am I doing it correctly? Also just checked nitrites and have a reading o about 2.0ppm. Just checking to make sure I am on the right path. As I understand it I need to wait for the ammonia to. Go to zero within 24hrs before I start water changes

All input is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you are doing it correctly.

Your cycle is finished when both ammonia and nitrite go back to 0 within 24 hours. The only reasons to do a water change is if your pH is crashing or you have a huge nitrite spike.

When cycling I use water changes to keep nitrite and nitrate at least mid scale on the test card. If it's off the scale then I can't really see what the tank is doing. But you are definitely on the right path.
Envious of your tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom