Fish Died of Ammonia Poisoning, Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madamayo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sad day :(. They lasted about a week then died.

Anyways, what I am wondering is if I should just let the tank sit there with the aftermath for a day or two, then add some black tetras? I hear they're great for starting the cycle up because they're very hearty when it comes to ammonia levels.

My temp is 78 and the PH is 7.5. No PPM/TDS tester yet.

Step one clean tank, step two go get a test kit... step 3 properly cycle your tank before adding any more fish.. sorry about your loss.. check out the thread in my signature to get you started.. good luck

Yes definitely cycle your tank before adding any more fish.. the ph is good temp is fine but you have to know your levels before adding anything more.. ie. Ammonia nitrates nitrites

I am waiting for my PPM/TDS tester to arrive in the mail, so that is kind of out of the question... as for the cycle I let the tank run for a few days near sunlight to generate a little algae, but what I think my problem was is that my girlfriend (it's really her tank) put two Mollies that are apparently VERY sensitive (orange body leading to black tail and fins) to the ammonia. I have added some enzymes from the fish store that are supposed to generate the ammonia consuming, nitrate producing bacteria. I am going to let the tank set for a few days, then I am going to add some Black Tetras, since I have read up that they are very hearty for new tanks. Definitely waiting on my PPM tester before I do.

I was cycling about 15% of the water every morning, but I know the tank just didn't have the probiotics for the ammonia. It's not a huge loss though, I told my girlfriend that the first fish in the water are likely to die, especially since I havent touched a fish tank in about 5 years.

I guess my questions is if having two fish in the tank for about 3-4 days likely added enough ammonia to be ready for a fishless cycle?

You need to continue to feed the tank a source of ammonia for a fishless cycle, so having some fish in the tank for just a few days until they died isn't enough. The bb (beneficial bacteria, which algae is not, btw) will eat all the ammonia there is, and then will die off if they aren't provided with any more. Have you read the links we've given you above for fishless cycling yet? Most folks do it by purchasing a bottle of Ammonia (surfactant and additive free).

EDIT: This is what you need to do if there are no more fish in the tank. If there are fish in the tank, then read the "Fish-In Cycling Guide" in my signature.

Last edited:
I am waiting for my PPM/TDS tester to arrive in the mail What test kit? We recommend API master kit (liquid)

... as for the cycle I let the tank run for a few days near sunlight to generate a little algae This would have done nothing to cycle the tank

I have added some enzymes from the fish store What specifically did you add?

I am going to let the tank set for a few days, then I am going to add some Black Tetras, Not a good idea, I recommend fishless cycling.

It's not a huge loss though, I told my girlfriend that the first fish in the water are likely to die, This is not true at all. Research and a solid maintenance plan prevent fish death.

My question is if having two fish in the tank for about 3-4 days likely added enough ammonia to be ready for a fishless cycle? Um, I don't get the logic here. You're either doing a fishless cycle or doing a fish-in cycle. [/QUOTE]

Please see the comments in red.

I suggest you read the links provided above by other members. Even if you've had fish before, there's a huge learning curve to doing it right and enjoying happy and healthy fish as a result. (y)

so if I get you right, you have two mollies in your tank right now? so to me it looks like you are now doing a fish IN cycle. until you get your test kit(and I am with Lynda here - don't know what kit you are using...is it a liquid test kit?) but anyway - until you get your test kit you need to be doing daily 50% water changes. this should hopefully keep you water safe for the fish you have in there. until your test kit arrives can you take your water to your local fish store? many of them will test for free. this is better than nothing.
so I would say - read the article about doing a fish in cycle (i already have fish...) and do daily water changes of 50% - make sure you are temp matching your water and of course treating with a dechlorinator. you don't need to add anything else to your tank.
how big did you say your tank was - glanced back through and couldn't find it.
does this help?

They died. =( I decided to try fish-in cycle still (actually my girlfriend kind of brought fish home grrr), and now we have 3 Zebra Danios in the tank. I did a 50% water flush, and now have SeaChem for my water conditioner. After doing the 50% flush I added some BioZyme to the tank (nitrifying bacteria), let the fish sit in the water in bag for about an hour.

After that I added small amounts of the tank water to the bag until it was almost full, then release the fish into the tank. After three days one died, but the other two seem completely healthy (plus it had torn scales so it must have been something physical, what killed it is beyond me.)

Tank: 10Gal
PH : 7.8.
Nitrates: No2 <5ppm No3 <20ppm
Temp: 78
PPM= ~230 (My water averages 190 out of the tap)

Sorry, the kit I got didn't include anything to test ammonia....

Okay things seem to be fine, I did about 10% water change and added my biozyme to the filter.

No2 .5ppm
No3 10ppm

Is this safe?

EDIT: I reread that article, and I see my levels are acceptable. I'll keep a close monitor on it. The biozyme seems to be MUCH more effective if placed in the filter instead of tank.

Honestly .5 ppm of NitrIte or No2 can still be harmful to fish. Although the danios you have now are hardy, I would do another water change to bring that down a little bit.

They died. =( I decided to try fish-in cycle still (actually my girlfriend kind of brought fish home grrr), and now we have 3 Zebra Danios in the tank. I did a 50% water flush, and now have SeaChem for my water conditioner. After doing the 50% flush I added some BioZyme to the tank (nitrifying bacteria), let the fish sit in the water in bag for about an hour.

After that I added small amounts of the tank water to the bag until it was almost full, then release the fish into the tank. After three days one died, but the other two seem completely healthy (plus it had torn scales so it must have been something physical, what killed it is beyond me.)

PH : 7.8.
Nitrates: No2 <5ppm No3 <20ppm
Temp: 78
PPM= ~230 (My water averages 190 out of the tap)

Sorry, the kit I got didn't include anything to test ammonia....

You really need the API liquid test kit. If you know your fish died of ammonia poisoning why wouldn't you be testing amonia levels?

Of course I wake up and another fish is dead, the other is clearly suffocating on the surface...

I think I'm just going to let it die and do a fishless cycle. I am surrounded by incompetence right now..... Sorry if I'm venting frustration but it's just rediculous.

1. This is my girlfriend's tank, which I have been busting my *** over everyday to try and get these levels balanced.

2. I ask my girlfriend to get me a test kit, and of course she just brings a shitty nitrate test strip kit so I honestly have no idea what the No2/No3 levels are.

3. I asked her only friend with a fish tank to bring me some gravel/filter scraping, ANYTHING to get some probiotics... so she brings me a bottle of her tanks water and tells me to %50 cycle every week.

So ya, I am just going to let it die, dump some ammonia in, and just do my own thing. The "expert" at the fish store actually AGREED with her friend's idiotic directions.

Thank you for giving me the time to rant for a second.... ahhhh..... :thanks:

EDIT: This is not my fish tank, so I have already agreed with her that sure I'll help take care of it, but the supplies/kits are her responsibility, because she needs to learn how to take care of them herself.

Can you at least return the fish to the store? Seeing a fish clearly suffering and having the attitude of just letting it die.....maybe you should re-think the responsiblity of having fish.

Can you at least return the fish to the store? Seeing a fish clearly suffering and having the attitude of just letting it die.....maybe you should re-think the responsiblity of having fish.

I agree, someone is going to have to step up to the plate here. You need to be able to test for Ammonia and NitrItes at the absolute minimum. I think you should take over the responsibility from her now or at least make her understand that shes just bringing home fish to die, which is both a waste of money and life. It's ok to do a fish in cycle if she can't wait to have fish and i think you know that, but that may require daily 50% water changes.

This is not my tank, but hers.

It's not that I don't take responsibility, but I have a lot of things to do in my day too, and to be honest I consider your comment rude.

And no, the fish is staying at the top of the water clearly in a coma or at least totally unconscious, so I don't really think there is all to much suffering taking place. Last night they were acting totally fine, but this morning when I woke up to do my daily 25% water change, one was dead and the other fish was clearly almost dead. Seriously I give the thing another hour before it goes bottom up. As for returning them to the store, my girlfriend bought them. I have no idea what store, or even where it is.

Even if I took the fish out of the water and put it in a bag to bring it to the store I would be amazed if it even made it. What I meant by letting it die is not busting my *** this morning in vain trying to save a hopeless fish. Besides from what I've read it's gills are most likely scarred and destroyed from permanent ammonia damage.

I did declare in that post that I was trying to VENT. I do NOT appreciate the backlash and disrespect.

I did declare in that post that I was trying to VENT. I do NOT appreciate the backlash and disrespect.

The people here probably don't appreciate you ignoring some of their advice.

The fish probably don't appreciate death.

Calm down.

Back
Top Bottom