fish for 42GAL freshwater suggestions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoebe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I have been reading all sorts of stuff on here and thought I would make my first post :)
I have a 42GAL/160L freshwater tank with peaceful community fish
also am trying to grow 4 little java ferns inside too with LED lights
my current stock is:
5x baby bristlenose catfish
5x striped kuhli loaches
15x neon tetras
5x albino corys
5x bronzed corys
2x sucking catfish
2x large golden mystery snails
(1) how many more fish can I have if i keep to having small fish?
(2) what fish do you suggest? I would like active, colorful, peaceful fish
(3) I would be interested in something like little shrimp- cherry shrimp maybe?
(4) and to add a lot of my fish are bottom dwellers- i would like something that hangs around the top if possible
Very open to suggestions and any help- I don't mind being told I'm doing things wrong :)
Thankyou

phoebe said:
Hi everyone,
I have been reading all sorts of stuff on here and thought I would make my first post :)
I have a 42GAL/160L freshwater tank with peaceful community fish
also am trying to grow 4 little java ferns inside too with LED lights
my current stock is:
5x baby bristlenose catfish
5x striped kuhli loaches
15x neon tetras

5x albino corys
5x bronzed corys
2x sucking catfish
2x large golden mystery snails
(1) how many more fish can I have if i keep to having small fish?
(2) what fish do you suggest? I would like active, colorful, peaceful fish
(3) I would be interested in something like little shrimp- cherry shrimp maybe?
(4) and to add a lot of my fish are bottom dwellers- i would like something that hangs around the top if possible
Very open to suggestions and any help- I don't mind being told I'm doing things wrong :)
Thankyou

Golden mystery snails are actually apple snails from what I know and personal experience. They will get HUGE
What type of fish are your sucking catfish?

Personally I think you have too many bottom fish. I think you need to rehome 2-3 of the bristle nose plecos. You could add a centrepiece fish like a pair of rams. Then maybe a school of cherry barbs

Watch out mystery snails will eat your plants. Good snails for planted tanks are trapdoor snails or nerite snails.

emerald76 - I looked at pictures of apple snails and thats exactly what they look like and WOW they get huge!!!!

Samzter- I have another few tanks so I could indeed rehome some of the bristlenoses I have also had a look at rams they look nice and I have also had a look at cherry barbs... barbs in general I have heard can be a bit nippy/aggro (especially tiger barbs? i think) so I was worried about Cherry Barb But I have heard they are very peaceful and some people even think they are passive fish :) and they look really nice

Bettafanatic- I have a few other non-planted tanks I could put them in- I will have a look at nerite and trapdoor snails too :)

also what do you think about- swordtails, mollys and guppys?? they are colourful and peaceful- I was told (LFS) that swordtails grow 15cm and colour up nicely and a pair would look nice

phoebe said:
emerald76 - I looked at pictures of apple snails and thats exactly what they look like and WOW they get huge!!!!

Samzter- I have another few tanks so I could indeed rehome some of the bristlenoses I have also had a look at rams they look nice and I have also had a look at cherry barbs... barbs in general I have heard can be a bit nippy/aggro (especially tiger barbs? i think) so I was worried about Cherry Barb But I have heard they are very peaceful and some people even think they are passive fish :) and they look really nice

Bettafanatic- I have a few other non-planted tanks I could put them in- I will have a look at nerite and trapdoor snails too :)

also what do you think about- swordtails, mollys and guppys?? they are colourful and peaceful- I was told (LFS) that swordtails grow 15cm and colour up nicely and a pair would look nice

I have eight cherry barbs and they are so peaceful. Highly recommend them. Or you could look into Denison barbs. You could do a pair of those.

I'd totally recommend those fish. I've never had them but I hear they're really great. I'm actually getting some gold dust mollies once my new tank is cycled. They're cool because they start as black and as they age they become more and more gold until they're completely gold. Thought that was awesome.

Nerite snails need lots and lots of algae. If you have a huge amount I'd go for nerites, but if you only have a little you can to trapdoors.

Back
Top Bottom