Fish in cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish In Tank Cycling

I know its only been bout a week or so but I'm not getting any nitrite on my test kit yet.

History...

The "nitrogen cycle" will generally take 4 to 6 weeks. There are different bacteria involved in the process. Those that feed on the ammonia and those that feed on nitrite. Right now, they're growing on all the surfaces inside the tank, the largest concentration will be in the filter media. There is an unlimited surface area in all those bags, pads and sponges for the microscopic bugs to grow.

The above toxins will dissolve in the tank water when the fish do their business and some will need to be removed daily to keep the water at least tolerable for your fish. I would resist the urge to remove more than 25 to 30 percent of the tank water when you do your water change. You don't want to remove all the toxins, because you'll remove the food the bugs need to grow and possibly delay the whole process. A quarter of the tank's volume is generally sufficient to return the water to the "fish safe zone".

B

I've been 50% because I was worried about the fish's stress level. But if you think 25% would be ok too.. your logic makes sense to me. I was doing 25% before.

What it comes down to is keeping the ammonia and nitrite down at a safe level. Whether it takes 25% or 50% it doesn't matter. The goal is keeping the fish safe. Whether is extends the cycle or not is beside the point. (BTW I don't believe large water changes are detrimental to the cycle.)

I don't think large changes are either. The bacteria is on the sides of the tank and filter and gravel. I'm sure I'll get nitrite soon.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I don't think large changes are either. The bacteria is on the sides of the tank and filter and gravel. I'm sure I'll get nitrite soon.

Hello History...

As the "Head Water keeper" it's entirely your decision on how to proceed with the the cycle. The whole point to cycling a tank with fish is to find the "happy medium". Do you push the limits of the fish to tolerate the somewhat poor water conditions in order to cycle the tank in a reasonable amount of time or do you maintain pure water conditions for the sake of the fish and delay the cycling process by taking away all the food the bacteria needs to grow.

As I've said several times, this is the whole reason you want to get the toughest fish available like your Zebras, Guppies, Platys and White Clouds. They'll stand the best chance of surviving the cycling process.

Just one reporter's opinion. There are always alternatives.

B

That was my reasoning in getting the Zebras. I knew they'd could handle it plus I like them and am going to have those in my tank.

Please understand, living creatures like fish are constantly producing ammonia. It does not take several ppm of Ammonia to cycle a tank or to build the bacteria. The bacteria just need a steady supply to process, and they will get it as long as there is fish in the tank generating it. It's a dynamic thing, the bacteria colony grows and shrinks based on the amount of ammonia available. So even if it is a smaller amount initially (for the sake of the fish), the bacteria colony will still establish itself and as it processes this ammonia it'll get faster and faster at it till you get to the point to where you won't see spikes anymore.

You don't need a tough fish for cycling, you just need to focus on keeping a healthy environment for the fish, the tank will cycle on it's own.

Fish in Tank Cycling

Hello Jockey...

I do see the description of the bacteria growth, but would disagree a bit with putting fish that are sensitive to changes in water conditions in a tank you're just breaking in. The nitrogen cycle can put a strain on the fish and the water keeper, so I wouldn't recommend using a Mollie to cycle a tank, it wouldn't last long. Danios, Tetras, Barbs, Platys, Guppies and White Clouds are generally unfazed by rising nitrogen levels that are common with a new set up and give the new hobbyist a little "wiggle room" for some mistakes in tank management.

I would say to keep to the smaller, daily if needed, water changes and give the bacteria a steady diet, so they can grow and cycle the tank in a reasonable time. The new hobbyist will get plenty of practice doing larger water changes once the tank is established.

Thanks for your input, I'm always interested in what the Moderators have to say on the subject of water keeping.

B

You two have been great in giving me your experiences. It's really helping me along with my tank. I love having two different voices. Thank you. =)

Back
Top Bottom