Good fish to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annielauri

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 platies, would like more. Have 2 mollies, both female, but one is a meanie and I think I should also add some more so my dalmation (Dot) doesn't get picked on so much.

I have a 20 gallon tank. What would be some other good fish to add and what are some good numbers to have?

The tank has lots of plants (fake) but I should probably get some cave type things going in there too. Not much room, maybe only one?

If you have nothing else in the tank, you can definitely get more fish. You might want to look at some bottom dwellers to create a level in your tank. Oto Catfish might be a good choice as they still relatively small.

For a 20 gal you can choose from several types of fish, tetras most kinds, a dwarf gourami, you can add more platies, or a couple more mollies. How many fish total in the tank and what kinds. Hard to recommend quantities of fish without knowing what your current stocking is.

Well, I did have 2 platies and 2 mollies, but that was 2 days ago. I now have 5 platies and 3 mollies. I probably will eventually need an algae eater of some sort. Don't Oto's like to be kept in a group? I read that 3 is a good number for them. Would I have the room for 3 now?

Just remember those platie's and mollie's are going to breed big time,I started with 3 neon yellow calico platie's and now i have 30,The day i brought the first 3 home i had babie's in the tank 8O

shumway said:
Just remember those platie's and mollie's are going to breed big time,I started with 3 neon yellow calico platie's and now i have 30,The day i brought the first 3 home i had babie's in the tank 8O

3 yoyo loaches made quick work of that problem for me (and my snails, too) :D

Otos do like to be kept in groups, but I'm not sure on your bioload. When I had otos, they always hid and I very rarely saw them, so I will be trying snails for algae this time. You should definitely look into cories, they are lots of fun!

Back
Top Bottom