Gourami question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldstar8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've heard that gourami's are semi aggressive fish and with my community, I didn't want to put an aggressive fish in my tank. My daughter fell in love with a powder blue gourami at the store so I decided to bite the bullet and get him. He has been very calm and docile with everyone else in the tank.
My question is can I put another gourami in with the first gourami? I have a 29 gallon tank but I've heard they can be territorial.

Dwarf Gouramis are among the more docile gouramis, but males can be buttheads to each other. One is likely to dominate, and the other will be stressed and not get enough food, &c. If you want to get another, I'd suggest a female, but make sure she has places she can hide. The gourami might pick on her if he's ready to breed and she's not. In a 29, honestly, I'd stick with the one male.

I have had 5 Gourami's in an aquarium once. Seemed okay for a while. But I don't suggest you get another Gourami. Their behaviour can be very interesting at times. Trust me, you don't want to deal with it. They can be pretty annoying fish sometimes. When I had these big plants, what I believed was the male gourami was always chasing the others. Got smaller plants, problem solved, But it is still aggressiveness from him a little bit although I must say it is better.

Back
Top Bottom