Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green Spotted Puffers

I saw some in a fish store and I read that they get pretty big. What is caring for one of these like?

Let me clarify that. I saw them at Wal Mart. There's no way their being cared for properly there as they are crammed into a small tank. I don't want to get in over my head, but I thought I could do a better job taking care of them than their current situation.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

well they start off freshwater, but will need highly brackish water to full marine conditions at adulthood.

read about themHERE
Old 11-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I currently have one by himself in a 50 gallon tank but in 6 months he will be moving to my 80 gallon tank.Once he is in the 80 I MAY try to get 1 or 2 clown fish after I add some LR to the tank.Otherwise he will be the sole inhabitant of the 80 as well.I saw some full size GSPs in a store and would not recommend keeping them in less then a 50 gallon, even though a 30 is the minimum recommended size.
Currently I maintain the SG around 1.018. He is ~ 4" long.I also run a skimmer and do 25% weekly changes.
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Won't he probably eat the clownfish?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats why I said I might, not will, get a clownfish. It will depend on how much LR I purchase and how well lines of sight are broken up. If it doesn't work out I will put the clown(s) in the 50 which is going to be used as a sump/refugium.
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have kept GSP's, and I would say the 30 gallon guideline is a good one. To say not in less than 50g is very cautious in my opinion. I have even kept them with clowns for a short time (about a month) and didn't have any problems. Although I would not recommend it. I'm sure it would just be a matter of time before a clown looked like a snack to the puffer. They can be a fun fish with lots of personality. Enjoy.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green spotted puffer, puffer, puffers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com